Alternate American Leader

cjm81499

Chieftain
I was thinking about alternate leaders for America today. I don't think they will do George because he was in the last game, and I don't think FDR because I don't think they will put two Roosevelt's in. I mean, they might, but I doubt it. Of the usual three, that leaves Lincoln who I am guessing it will be.

But if they decide to put more new leaders (ones who have never been in a civ game) who do you think would be good?

My top three are:

Thomas Jefferson - A lot to choose from regarding his abilities. He was the main author on the Declaration of Independence, and made the Louisiana Purchase. So maybe something regarding Civics, like maybe no cost ever to change cards. Or something for tile expansion, like what the US had in Civ V, or something like that. His agenda could maybe be to like factions that don't have much territory near him, and dislike factions near him, maybe.

Ulysses S. Grant - Not the greatest president, but he was an excellent general, and had good ambitions for reconstruction as president. I feel like they could maybe give him a Civil War type troop, of course that could go to Lincoln too, but I feel like Ulysses would be a refreshing change. As for unique ability, I am thinking he could maybe get something like a damage bonus against neighbors, or....... something...... his agenda could be to like civs that have smaller militaries, and dislike factions with large militaries.

Woodrow Wilson - He is generally regarded as a pretty good president, so it could work. Of course, he is from the same era as Teddy (they actually ran against each other in the 1912 election). But I think Woodrow could be good, maybe some kind of a peace, or post-war bonus. Like, maybe get an inspiration for like 5 civics or techs upon ending a war. Or something like that. Since peace was his main agenda, and he invented the League of Nations. And his agenda could be to like factions that don't fight many wars. And dislike factions that do.

Who would you want to see be an alternate leader for the US? What would their bonus/agenda or unique unit (if they get one) be?

I see Woodrow Wilson as too similar in era to Teddy to get in.

If they really wanted to go outside the box, an aggressive and expansive James K. Polk could be interesting. That might provide a good contrast to Teddy.

My pick is Thomas Jefferson ; Capital - Philadelphia (to fit into the alternate capita hypothesis)

Ability - Agrarian republic
Buy tiles at discount
America only government (cultural / science oriented buff and legacy bonus)

I wouldn't discount Alexander Hamilton either. The Broadway play really put him on the map. Capital also in Philadelphia , special ability - Federalist papers (some form of commercial oriented buff that would dovetail really well into democracy )

I see Woodrow Wilson as too similar in era to Teddy to get in.

If they really wanted to go outside the box, an aggressive and expansive James K. Polk could be interesting. That might provide a good contrast to Teddy.

That would be pretty neat, any ideas of a good UA/Agenda for him? :)

George W. Bush
UA- "Weopons of mass destruction"-All wars fall under "cassus Belli", cannot build university's.
UA2-"Trickle Down Economics"- As soon as you research capitalism, you have 200% GPT for ten turns, and then -200% GDP for ten turns. This cycle repeates for the rest of the game.

New unique person, Alan Greenspan- interest rates become 0.35% for the next twenty years, then your economy crashes, "shrugs" shoulders and nods head when economy crashes.

You brought this on yourselves.

My pick is Thomas Jefferson ; Capital - Philadelphia (to fit into the alternate capita hypothesis)

Ability - Agrarian republic
Buy tiles at discount
America only government (cultural / science oriented buff and legacy bonus)

I wouldn't discount James Madison either. The Broadway play really put him on the map. Capital also in Philadelphia , special ability - Federalist papers (some form of commercial oriented buff that would dovetail really well into democracy )

Didn't Hamilton get the play? or did they both? nonetheless would be pretty cool

Didn't Hamilton get the play? or did they both? nonetheless would be pretty cool

Brain Freeze . It was Hamilton. Corrected.

Jefferson: a better claim to Manifest Destiny than Washington. He could also have a more science-y theme. Like lump sums of Science for getting Artifacts.

Jackson: Big bad personality. Maybe a combat and movement bonus along rivers.

Washington: a bonus to training and maintaining melee and ranged units. No Minutemen! He hated militias.

Lincoln: known for presiding over the Civil War and rapid industrialization. Perhaps a discount to constructing Industrial Zones and Encampments and their buildings.

FDR: Overcame the Great Depression and WW2. Receive a free Infantry each time one is produced. Combat bonus vs units of civs with a different government.

Kennedy: known for Brinksmanship and kicking off the Space Race. Campus buildings give % multipliers to Project Production. Agenda: really dislikes troops near his borders.

This may be the fact that I was born here but I feel like a lot of good UA's could be extracted from our leaders, as pointed out JFK could easily have a space race related ability, FDR a world war bonus. I think some kind of legacy bonus though would be very appropriate for America and it would be a unique gameplay angle that hasnt really been explored as well. Something like "gain legacy bonus at triple time" or something. I dont really know what the worlds perception of our history is, but I would imagine it would be something about rebellion and independance? Have a george washington era president with some kind of bonus when defending in your own territory or something.

edit: I only mention "worlds perception of our history" because that seems to be what most leaders and UA's are based on. Saladin having a religious UA, England always having something to do with ships ext.

Not to be political but Obama is a pretty decent president. #thanksobama he doesn't deserve to be in the same company for ridicule as Bush 2.

To be fair it was Michelle getting the ridicule here, and I like them both a lot I was just joking

I would much rather have Lincoln, even though he has appeared in Civ before. Jefferson would be rather controversial IMO. He fathered a kid with a slave, and advocated castration for homosexuals. Among other things. He also had some terrible ideas about changing the US into an agrarian economy, which would have ruined the US back then. We prosper now, as then, on trade (among other things), and the agrarian stuff just keeps us fed.

FDR, Washington, Jefferson, even Carter.

Ok. I feel bad for another pick. No one has mentioned

John Adams / Capital - Philadelphia

Ability : federalist papers ( same as Hamilton) can't think of a better one ; He like Hamilton is a federalist so that works for me

Possibly the 'federalist party' or 'party system' would be a close alternative as it was under his presidency the party system took hold

Top Bottom