1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Alternate History Thread II...

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Xen, Sep 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xen

Xen Magister

...because I killed the first one

to start it off, I purpose a new NES that recreates the history fo the world, but as developed by yellow-tail Tuna :smug:

2. Xen

Xen Magister

Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! Let's go, yeah, come on! Come on! Come and get it you bastards! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? F- you! :ar15:

in other news, i dont really see a reason why someone cant just post an alt history here. its not like I'm going to for a long while yet.

3. Kal'thzar

Kal'thzar Deity

ok i've never seen the reason why their hasn't been a geographical alt-his

i.e. something as big as the continents move more or less, to certain chokepoint like Straits of Gibratla existing, or even closing.

4. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Because that'd just be too hard to make. It's sort of a really, really big change, and humans might not even exist with a continental shift.

Dinosauria will rule the world! ;)

5. Kal'thzar

Kal'thzar Deity

shut up, its a cool idea.

EDIT: can't forget this

;)

6. North King

North King blech

Oh, and I've been working on a 1414 PoD, might post it, might save it for an NES.

Oh, and when I clicked on this thread, about 50 popups shot up on my desktop, which has never happened before. Quite annoying.

7. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

You're weird. That didn't happen to me...

Looking at a Yarmuk 630s PoD, is it likely to affect the larger picture of world events?

8. TerrisH

TerrisH Mischief?

the Strieght's of Gibralter not Existing would infact be a quite inturesting mod to play. Europe would be a bit dryer. not to mention how the anchint people would deal Gigantic cliff faces that would Line the Meditirainin basin.

the black sea would be much smaller but still quite large freash water lake.
    rome and Greece whould problly not Exist, or if they did, be a Lot smaller and weaker. the main centers of civilization would be around the black sea, the fertile crecent, the nile river, and the Large lake/salt plains at the bottom of the basin. history would be Quite diffrent.

9. Symphony D.

Symphony D. Deity

Europe and North Africa would be pretty nasty if the Mediterranean was enclosed at Gibraltar. Depending on how long it had been sealed, eventually the water would all evaporate away and you'd be left with a salty desert. Think the Dead Sea with less water. It'd also be pretty deep, relatively, so all the rivers feeding into it would plunge down huge waterfalls, and the water would ultimately also evaporate away, probably in salty lakes.

It doesn't really help that atmospheric pressure at the bottom would be about twice as high as on the "surface". Pretty much a place you wouldn't want to go down into. Sahara would likely still be dry, and so would Southern Europe, Turkey, and Israel probably. Not a fun place to be really.

10. North King

North King blech

On an unrelated note, would the amount of water missing from the Med Sea be enough to significantly raise sea levels for the oceans?

11. North King

North King blech

Another note, how would atmospheric and ocean currents change with a large body of dense, broiling air in the place of mild waters?

12. Jason The King

Jason The King Deity

Ill be sure to remember this as I take my oceanography class this quarter at the university. im sure ill learn something to do with tides, ocean effects on atmosphere, and what not :)

13. Symphony D.

Symphony D. Deity

I'm no scientist, but the volume of water in the Med. is significantly less than in, say, Antarctica (total Mediterranean Basin, including land-areas such as Greece, Italy, et al, is 2,085,292 km², while Antarctica is 13,200,000 km², and that's ignoring Arctic ice deposits), so the Med. being empty wouldn't be the equivilent of the poles melting down or anything.

Not sure about the atmospheric effects - probably be one hell of a lot of thermals. That'd have some effect on global wind patterns for sure.

I couldn't find a lot more through some quick Googling, and these are all basically theories trying to prove or disprove the Mediterranean flood was Noah's Flood (or, at least mention it), but they also offer some decent information on what the basin itself would have been like, assuming this did in fact occur. See here, yo.

The notion of over a mile of salt coating the bottom of a boiling desert recessed deep below the surface of the earth is, frankly, kinda freaky.

14. Xen

Xen Magister

none of the classic western civlizations west of babylon woudl esit, the exception perhaps beign egypt.

15. North King

North King blech

I think Egypt would probably exist... but perhaps with a sharper, more defined difference between upper and lower--defined by the great "seashore"?

16. Symphony D.

Symphony D. Deity

It'd certainly be a rather more fantastical setting than OTL. If you add in vulcanism that sometimes occurs the place really would sort of be like the pits of hell. Plus the only routes into Europe would be over the thin landbridges at Gibraltar and the Bosphorus, through the Atlantic or Black Seas, or through the Caucasus, unless you went the long way through Asia.

If you toss in some rather despotic and/or insane individuals you would have quite the interesting place. Imagine Corsica as a giant fortress mesa rising up from a desolate desert, or anything like that.

17. Xen

Xen Magister

well, its interesting to imagine just how megalithic Tartessos might arise to be; being on the atlantic coast line, it dosent have to worry about the med sea being blocked up from the pillars in ;)

18. TerrisH

TerrisH Mischief?

actually, the blask sea would bea freash water lake is the Mediterranean did not exsit. and the lads around it would be very fertile also. heck, there is proof berried in the silt that shows evedence of a primitive culture on the bottom of the black sea. the evedence points to the flodding of it to be the great flood. the Mediterranean flooding happened a few million years ago.. I think.. or a few hundred thosand.

19. das

das Regeneration In Process

The reason is simple - there were. ;) Re-read the old thread, there was a several-page altgeographical craze, with maps.

No time now, but later I'll post some ideas, both on Yarmuk and on Gibraltar. Maybe.

Also, after I finish the current Kadesh althist, I intend to work on something beginning in mid-18th century. Just so you know.

20. das

das Regeneration In Process

Do both. ;) Either way, has anything to do with Jan Hus?
    That's probably the best-case scenario for contemporary Byzantine Empire; they still receive a rude awakening (or something like that), but they don't lose much. If the battle is enough of a close-ran thing (and if the ruling elite realizes this), then the Byzantines are likely to start some reforms, especially in regards to Monophysites and territorial administration. Persia would probably still be overran by the Turks, much earlier then in OTL (Arabs DID weaken the Turks to a certain extent); something of a Qing-like scenario, perhaps. Not sure about Arabs, but perhaps they could export the Jihad into Africa instead? Then again, maybe the Muslim state will fall apart altogether by the 8th century.

Oh, and Khazaria survives as a great power. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.