Alternate Terrains (Earth/Land)

These are not smaller or simpler than the default terrains. Questdog posted them to me they are much better than the default ones which quite literally make me ill.

Uncompress to the Caveman2Cosmos folder.

For an in gamne image see here

Attachments

• C2C Alt Terrains.7z
    6.8 MB · Views: 329
Better is subjective. They have less contrast than the default ones. Also some colors have been all together changed (ex desert tiles). Personally I think they are hard to tell the tiles apart with those texture. But that's just me

Not throwing up while playing C2C is better. That is how badly the default terrains affect me.

Whether one set looks "better" or not, the ones here seem to work on my computer better, as I don't seem to get the dreaded "black tiles" like I randomly got with the original ones.

I'm assuming future SVN revisions won't be adding anything to make these void, correct?

Whether one set looks "better" or not, the ones here seem to work on my computer better, as I don't seem to get the dreaded "black tiles" like I randomly got with the original ones.

I'm assuming future SVN revisions won't be adding anything to make these void, correct?

Probably not since the C2C standard terrain graphics all end up in FPKs eventually.

Probably not since the C2C standard terrain graphics all end up in FPKs eventually.

In the end it doesn't matter anyway. After more thorough testing, I'm still getting random games with black tiles, even saved games that were fine before they got saved (and a few hours later are fine again). This is getting quite frustrating, as I can't ever reproduce the errors consistently (and this is the only mod that does this---not Planetfall, not ROM/AND, not Dune, not FFH, not etc etc etc).

In the end it doesn't matter anyway. After more thorough testing, I'm still getting random games with black tiles, even saved games that were fine before they got saved (and a few hours later are fine again). This is getting quite frustrating, as I can't ever reproduce the errors consistently (and this is the only mod that does this---not Planetfall, not ROM/AND, not Dune, not FFH, not etc etc etc).

have you tried changing your Civilization.INI file to always clear the cache files on load? It slows things down but I get fewer graphics glitches with that setting.

I didn't change the ini file, but I did delete the cache manually before starting the game, and that doesn't seem to help except randomly as well.

As far as the .ini file goes, I have this:
Code:
; Disable caching of file system (may slow initialization)
DisableFileCaching = 1

; Disable caching of xml and file system (may slow initialization)
DisableCaching = 1

but I wonder if there is something to add as well (I just re-installed the game in Feb, and I vaguely remember there were things I added to the ini file in the past rather than just change).

As a side note, I started a new game (r2617 as I haven't moved the new files yet to my working folder) with this mod just a few minutes ago (with nothing at all changed from trying it last night) with high graphics turned on, and it worked fine. Last night I couldn't get it to work at all no matter what settings I used. That's how random it is.

I'm having the same black tiles issue. It seems the problem goes away when I don't have other processes like firefox running when the game loads. Just a theory though. I haven't experimented enough with it.

I'm having the same black tiles issue. It seems the problem goes away when I don't have other processes like firefox running when the game loads. Just a theory though. I haven't experimented enough with it.

As I said in the "main" thread (in the bugs sub-forum) it is a crap-shoot of whether it happens or not (but I do think I solved the problem for when it does happen). Processes running in the background don't seem to make a bit of difference (in my case anyway) as rebooting doesn't help any more than having several tasks running at the same time (I've had it succeed and fail while doing either one).

SO much better, thank you for this!!

I believe they were (accidentally?) included in one of the SVN updates (the one that is my working copy, #2888, has them) but later removed. I don't really prefer one or the other; both seem fine to me.

These are not smaller or simpler than the default terrains. I forget who posted them but to me they are much better than the default ones which quite literally make me ill.

Uncompress to the Caveman2Cosmos folder.

Literally ill? :p

But I will definitely try these out once I actually finish a game of RoM-AND and get into C2C. I couldn't bring myself to simply dive into C2C before because of the terrain looking so gross. I can understand wanting to throw up!

@DH, If terrain makes you sick you must be extremely weak of stomach...I'd hate to imagine you seeing a lot of blood or Wastes...:p

Woah, those look much better than what we have currently. Should we include those by default?

A big Fat NO.:mad: No offense but i dont like them at all, no high definition for high graphic computers. IMHO

Top Bottom