Alternative energy discussion (split from Ask A Muslim Youth)

Thorgalaeg

Deity
Muslims have only ever prospered under an Islamic civilization. That has been gone for a while.

Most of the states in the Muslim world are run by dictatorships that do not wish to lose their power to merge with another state. There are a few democratic ones, which I believe is fine. Running your country on some basis of consultation with the people is not anti-Islamic. Infact, it is one of the major aspects of Islamic governance.

The lack of education in the Muslim world can be accredited to many things, but to say Islam is the only factor involved would not be correct.

The reason I believe a pan-Islamic state is the solution, is because the Muslim world has more than enough resources to sustain itself, and is situated in the most strategic area of the world. If those resources were distributed correctly, it would allow us to better fund welfare programs and education.

Currently, some of the gulf countries have the best welfare and education systems, but they are only given to citizens, and there is no easy way to become a citizen. This is not correct when some Muslims are basically starving.
So if i understood it correctly the solution is not islam, but having oil and gas to sell to western countries, islam being only a pretext to unite a set of conutries under the signs of the crescent and the petrodollar.

Well, I have to admit that is a pragmatic view and worked for Saudi Arabia, however i doubt gulf countries are willing to share its money so happily. Anyway dont you think the day such resources begin to be scarce or somebody discover fusion or some alternative resource, a panislamic project like that would fall off like a tower of cards?

touche. :lol:

Imagine if we could cover the whole Sahara desert in solar panels ...

So much power.

And the workforce to keep so many panels clean of sand would be huge too. India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka would not be enough. I already see myself cleaning solar panels in the Sahara.

Well, I have to admit that is a pragmatic view and worked for Saudi Arabia, however i doubt gulf countries are willing to share its money so happily. Anyway dont you think the day such resources begin to be scarce or somebody discover fusion or some alternative resource, a panislamic project like that would fall off like a tower of cards?

Currently, these oil-rich countries are pondering about this problem. The economy of their countries are heavily, heavily dependent on oil. They do not have much else.

What is even worse is that they do not even export refined oil. They export the crude oil, it gets refined in America or some place, then they import that refined oil. Pretty stupid, huh?

There are very few Muslim countries that have enough food to feed themselves. Even Egypt has this problem, because urbanization is beginning to destroy the Nile river. The Nile river apparently no longer reaches the Mediterranean Sea.

Basically, the plan I have for a Pan-Islamic state is:

-Use funds from crude oil exports to develop oil refineries to start exporting refined oil and make a greater profit.

-Use that profit to:

-First ensure that everyone has bare minimum welfare (for now)
-Reform the education systems to prioritize the sciences, especially the sciences regarding solar power, hydroponics and converting seawater into drinkable water.
-Start sustainable agriculture projects and make factories that produce the commanding heights of an economy.

At this stage, the purpose is to decrease the dependence on exporting oil for those economies that only do that, and provide cheap oil for these projects within the state.

-Once an efficient solar power generator has been invented, produce it en masse, and cover the deserts with them. The goal is to remove our dependence on oil.

-Once we are self-sufficient in energy, we flood the market with oil, and sell solar power/hydroponic technology.

-Use that profit to promote and improve the welfare of citizens within the Islamic State.
???
Profit.

Don't forget that solar panels fry birds
http://www.weather.com/news/solar-plants-birds-20140818

Not that I am against solar power, it is just important for humanity to realize all technology has a cost.
Solar panels give us fried chicken too?

Lol, yeah even solar panels are initially very costly to the environment. You need factories to make them and these factoroes wouild have to rely on the energybwe currently use.

Not to mention that Solar Power is useless at night, cloudy days, and places where they don't get as much sunlight during the winter.

Not to mention that Solar Power is useless at night, cloudy days, and places where they don't get as much sunlight during the winter.

Doesn't bother the Germans.

Or use wind.

[RD] Ask a Muslim Youth thread, not alternative energy hippie kumbaya thread.

It'd be less insulting and more accurate to call us harbringers of the robot apocalypse than hippies.

Edit: but point taken, I'm asking a mod to split this into a new thread

That's what batteries are for.

I'm curious on how they adapted that system, especially if it's used as a base load power plant. Or potentially used as a base load power plant instead of a peak load power plant.

Or use wind.
Wind, at least where I live on the Eastcoast of the US, would be more plausible. If they can be designed to withstand hurricanes, snowstorms, Nor'easters, and built out of the way of shipping lanes. The only issue would be to address the residences living on the coast that they're not an eyesore.

That's what batteries are for.
There are limitations on batteries. The one that comes to mind is that they can only output DC when much of the power grid uses AC. Plus DC is not suited for long distance transitions. I know there are DC to AC converters, but I'm looking at a scenario where there's no change in the power grid in general. Then comes to the materials used in the batteries. Naturally they don't last forever and lose there charge capacity in it's lifetime.

There are limitations on batteries. The one that comes to mind is that they can only output DC when much of the power grid uses AC. Plus DC is not suited for long distance transitions. I know there are DC to AC converters, but I'm looking at a scenario where there's no change in the power grid in general. Then comes to the materials used in the batteries. Naturally they don't last forever and lose there charge capacity in it's lifetime.

Since solar cells also put out DC, inverters are an integral part of any solar power system.

Top Bottom