1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Alternative Map for DOC

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Bautos42, Jul 11, 2017.

1. 1SDAN

1SDAN Brother Lady

Just so everyone knows, if we give Sweden a land connection it'll either end up being very difficult for Holy Rome to capture Copenhagen, or very easy to conquer Scandinavia, at least without major changes to what units Holy Rome and the Vikings start with and/or changing up city placement/buildings.

Source: A pretty badly made mod I made when I had no idea how to mod. Take my warning with a grain of salt.

2. star15389

star15389 Prince

Obviously this isn't what should be done, but it would be really great if Denmark could be connected to Sweden but not Germany

3. Leoreth

Leoreth Vampire of the Blue Moon Moderator

That's an AI issue in my opinion.

4. DC123456789

DC123456789 Deity

Doesn't RFCE do this for the Dardenelles and the Sound?

Jarlaxe Baenre and AtlantaMarty like this.
  5. AtlantaMarty

AtlantaMarty No longer active

Here's my proposal that I'm the most proud of - Bautos please ignore my earlier proposals from the summer - they're just a less refined version of this one

View attachment 483552

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  6. Hussarknight

Hussarknight Warlord

Tried to play the map, but almost all the civs spawn in the wrong places including me when I tried the Harappans and the Indonesians

7. Leoreth

It's just the map, it's not playable and not meant to be.

8. Hussarknight

Hussarknight Warlord

Unfortunately, cause it looked so nice. But unbalanced with India having even more grassland floodplains.

9. Leoreth

The grassland flood plains were meant to compensate for the limited space in the old map. So they could certainly be reduced in the larger map.

10. HessNation98

HessNation98 Chieftain

This map is mostly very good, thank you to Bautos42 for creating it. Finally, we can have cities like Munich, Oporto, and maybe even Salzburg? Salzburg might be a little too much crowding, but it's probably more important than Prague, given its connection to Mozart. (Or maybe I'm biased because I'm a musician, but if you ever do make it to Salzburg, I highly recommend seeing Mozart's house.)

I'd make it so you can circumnavigate Iceland - right now it looks like the ice is blocking the northwestern coast.

Spain, Portugal, and Western France all look like they have been vertically compressed, I would recommend moving Britain and possibly Ireland north by one tile and reworking them to beef them up a little. I'd also recommend adding a little bit of grassland to Southern Spain.

The Aral Sea looks a little bit squarish, but I doubt there's a way to improve on that.

The Caucasus Mountains look a little too straightly diagonal, but I don't know enough about that region to suggest improvements.

Mesopotamia could probably no accommodate Baghdad, Basra, and Mosul all at once, if Leoreth was so inclined.

Copying over the Moorland from Rhye's and Fall of Europe and the Semidesert from Sword of Islam are interesting ideas that would improve the accuracy and appearance of the map, but I don't know if having more terrain types would negatively impact speed and performance.

Indochina looks like it has been stretched on the southeastern axis somewhat, but this might be intentional in order to create more room for the Khmer and Siamese civilizations.

New Zealand looks somewhat fat, but I don't know enough about this region to suggest anything.

James Bay looks a little too skinny, but making it two tiles wide might make it too fat.

California looks like it has been horizontally compressed.

Leoreth and 1SDAN like this.
  11. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Baltic Sea is a sea, not a lake. We already have to make concessions in case of the Black Sea and Constantinople, because of absolutely unprecedented importance of that spot and that city. Copenhagen should not be elevated to that level -- as to deny Russian Saint Petersburg caravel an access to England, for example. Or what is more important to have London-Petersburg sea trade route.

I have seen a mod that allows ships to cross diagonally connected coastal tiles (which they should as a general rule, because land units can certainly do it with land tiles, like original Corsica of this map). But I don't remember which mod was that, perhaps someone can help us to find it or alternatively perhaps it is possible to make diagonally connected sea tiles actually connected. One should be able to leave Baltic Sea without passing through Copenhagen!

bismarck_, Publicola and 1SDAN like this.
  12. Jarlaxe Baenre

Jarlaxe Baenre Emperor

You're thinking of RFCE, which implemented that to solve this exact issue.

13. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Oh wow, really? Do you know if Sea trade routes are affected by that? Let me double check how it works there. I wonder how much codding went into that...

Edit, yes! One can trade across 2 diagonal tiles! We really need this for the new map, please!

Civ4ScreenShot0044.JPG

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    1SDAN, ales_, HessNation98 and 5 others like this.
  14. HessNation98

HessNation98 Chieftain

I just read through this whole thread cause the bigger map excites me - I've always loved Dawn of Civilization, but felt that the map was way too small. Here are the proposals I like and think would be good to include. (I just quoted parts of the posts to keep my post from being too large, but I like the entire proposals, not just the excerpts I quoted here)

15. Leoreth

I have also started keeping a doc with links to the most important comments/suggestions.

16. Lokki242

Lokki242 That One Guy

sorry, this may be dumb, but where can we download the most current version of the alternative map? Just to peruse?

17. Leon Michiel

Leon Michiel Chieftain

If we can't find a way to put a windmill on a Dutch historic tile, I'm not playing it.

bismarck_, cmakk1012, 1SDAN and 4 others like this.
  18. citis

citis Deity

Some minor rebalances over Greece:

Spoiler :

1) Removed rivers (greek rivers aren't navigable). Added Vardar river.
    2) Proper placement of resources (especially wine in Peloponese and Crete)
    3) Mount Olympus is in its proper place, also added hills (except Thessaly and Athens)
    4) Reworked islands: Dodecanese are between Crete and Anatolia, Cyclades are next to Athens, Ionian islands are reachable by Ragusa, North Aegean islands are next to Anatolia.

19. hnrysml

hnrysml Warlord

It looks really good, although I think Belgrade should be 1 north or northwest, at the moment it's on an in-between tile that wouldn't be Sofia (Sredets), Skopjie, or Belgrade imo

ozqar, 1SDAN and borhap88 like this.
  20. ozqar

ozqar King

Is there any way that map can reasonably fit Sofia, Bucharest and Belgrade at the same time?