1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

alternative tech quotes?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by jahsoldier, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Quinntan

Quinntan Chieftain

Another Rush one (Same album too)

Radio: "Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive." - Rush "Spirit of Radio"

2. bestbrian

bestbrian Just this guy, ya know?

Radio: "All we hear is radio ga ga, radio goo goo. Radio what's new? Radio, someone still loves you" - Queen.

Frankly, I just want to hear Leonard Nimoy say "radio ga ga, radio goo goo". :D

3. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Forum Buzzkill Super Moderator

My favorite album, I applaud your taste. ;)

4. Quinntan

Quinntan Chieftain

How 'bout another one then...

Scientific Method - "Science like nature must also be tamed, with a view towards it's preservation." -Rush "Natural Science"

5. Firestorm94

Firestorm94 zuh?

corporation "this tech quote is brought to you by.. Firaxis Games... and 2K Games.":lol:

6. BakingTheArt

BakingTheArt His Evening Coat

I didn't know this thread existed, so I posted this in the Best Tech QUotes thread.

Three Douglas Adams quotes:
    "There is an art,or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss," -Flight

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes," - Agriculture

"Anything that happens, happens. Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen. Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again. It doesn't necessarily do it in chronological order, though" - Physics

7. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Forum Buzzkill Super Moderator

I was thinking of that one, too. You beat me to it. :goodjob:

8. Big_I

Big_I Chieftain

Music(or maybe code of laws or democracy)- "My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music." -Vladimir Nabokov

Music (again) -"What's this music?"
    "It's the '1812 Overture'"
    "I kinda like it. Interesting percussion section."
    "Those are cannons."
    "And they perform this in crowded concert halls?? Gee, I thought classical music was boring!"
    -Calvin and Hobbes

Meditation- "Only the shallow know themselves." -Oscar Wilde

Calendar- "Most modern calendars mar the sweet simplicity of our lives by reminding us that each day that passes is the anniversary of some perfectly uninteresting event." -Oscar Wilde

Future tech (maybe philosophy) -"If you would attain to what you are not yet, you must always be displeased by what you are. For where you are pleased with yourself there you have remained. Keep adding, keep walking, keep advancing." -Saint Augustine

9. Firestorm94

Firestorm94 zuh?

mathematics: if apple=Billy, is Billy an apple

10. Cabledawg

Cabledawg King

Industrialism....."Quanity has a quality all its own"......Stalin

This quote is often tied to a commentary on Russian tank and troop production

11. stee

stee 将軍職

Mathmatics: "Math is tough." -Barbie Doll

:)

12. disturbed1

disturbed1 Chieftain

Military Science, or Military Tradition: "Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war" ~ Julius Caesar

13. bestbrian

Not to quibble, but I've heard it most often attrubuted to Lenin. Anywho...

Theology: "Worship is the relationship between a dog and his man, and a man and his god" - Ambrose Bierce.

14. Quinntan

Quinntan Chieftain

For those who like Rush, I went and tried to put most techs to a quote from one of their songs. If you can think of a quote for one I missed or a better quote just tell me.

Fishing -

The Wheel – Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex. – Rush “Natural Science”

Agriculture - Philosophers and Ploughmen, each must know his part. To sow a new mentality, closer to the heart. – Rush “Closer to the Heart”

Hunting - Snow falls deep around my house, and holds the winter light. I've heard the lions hunting in the Serengeti night. – Rush “Scars”

Mysticism – A planet of playthings, we dance on the strings of powers we cannot conceive. "The stars aren't aligned. Or the gods are malign” Blame is better to give than receive. – Rush “Freewill

Mining -

Sailing - Sea spray blurs my vision. Waves roll by so fast. Save my ship of freedom. I'm lashed, helpless, to the mast. – Rush “The Fountain of Lamneth”

Pottery –

Animal Husbandry –

Archery - The arrow on a moving target, The archer must be sure of his aim – Rush “Cut to the Chase”

Meditation - I've got my own spirit level for balance to tell if my choice is leading up or down. – Rush “Faithless”

Polytheism - There are those who think that life is nothing left to chance, a host of holy horrors to direct our aimless dance. –Rush “Freewill”

Masonry - The people were delighted, coming forth to claim their prize They ran to build their cities and converse among the wise. –Rush “Cygnus X-1 Book II”

Bronze Working - What should have been our armor becomes a sharp and angry sword. –Rush “Armour and Sword”

Horseback Riding –

Metal Casting – The blacksmith and the artist reflect it in their art. Forge their creativity, closer to the heart. Rush “Closer to the Heart”

Priesthood – We are the Priests of the Temples of Syrinx –Rush “2112”

Monotheism –

Iron Working - What should have been our armor becomes a sharp and angry sword. –Rush “Armour and Sword”

Writing - Making arrows out of pointed words, giant killers at the call? –Rush “Different Strings”

Machinery – The mess and the magic, triumphant and tragic, a mechanized world out of hand. – Rush “Natural Science”

Monarchy - Cities full of hatred, fear, and lies. Withered hearts and cruel tormented eyes. Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise. Beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise. – Rush “A Farewell to Kings”

Compass - Remembering when first I held the wheel in my own hands. I took the helm so eagerly and sailed for distant lands. But now the sea's too heavy and I just don't understand. Why must my crew desert me when I need a guiding hand? – Rush “The Fountain of Lamneth”

Alphabet –

Mathematics- One, two, three. Add without subtraction. Sound on sound, multiplied reaction. -Rush “Chemistry”

Drama – All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players, performers and portrayers. –Rush “Limelight”

Literature - Read the words that touch my heart, I gaze at their feverish pictures, the secrets that set them apart. –Rush “Mission”

Calendar - A thousand years have come and gone. But time has passed me by.
    Stars stopped in the sky, frozen in an everlasting view. - Rush “Xanadu”

Construction - We are islands to each other, building hopeful bridges on a troubled sea. Some are burned or swept away, some we would not choose, but we're not always free. – Rush “Entre Nous”

Feudalism-

Currency - Big money goes around the world –Rush “Big Money”

Optics- Living in a fish eye lens, Caught in the camera eye. – Rush “Limelight”

Theology - No one gets to their heaven without a fight. –Rush “Armour and Sword”

Music – Plays that song that’s so elusive and the magic music makes your morning mood. –Rush “The Spirit of Radio”

Engineering –

Code of Laws – Hey, order in the court…Let's try to keep it short…Enough of your demands…Witness take the stand –Rush “Show Don’t Tell”

Guilds –

Divine Right –

Astronomy - In the constellation of Cygnus there lurks a mysterious, invisible force, the black hole of Cygnus X-1. Six Stars of the Northern Cross in mourning for their sister's loss in a final flash of glory nevermore to grace the night... - Rush “Cygnus X-1”

Philosophy - We can walk our road together if our goals are all the same.
    We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim. Let the truth of love be lighted. Let the love of truth shine clear. Sensibility, armed with sense and liberty.
    With the heart and mind united in a single perfect sphere. -Rush “Cygnus X-1 Book II”

Civil Service – We’ve taken care of everything, the words you read, the songs you sing, the pictures that give pleasure to your eyes. –Rush “2112”

Banking - Big money goes around the world –Rush “Big Money”

Nationalism - They shoot without shame in the name of a piece of dirt. For a change of accent or the colour of your shirt. Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world, than the pride that divides when a colourful rag is unfurled. Rush “Territories”

Paper –

Military Tradition-

Printing Press-

Education- I know that my goal is more than a thought. I'll be there when I teach what I've been taught. -Rush “Lessons”

Democracy –

Replaceable Parts-

Liberalism- I will choose a path that’s clear. I will choose freewill. –Rush “Freewill”

Economics- Big money goes around the world –Rush “Big Money”
    Gunpowder-

Corporation- For the words of the profits are written of the studio walls, concert halls. And echoes with the sound of salesmen. Of salesmen! OF SALESMEN! –Rush “The Spirit of Radio”

Rifling-

Chemistry - Electricity? Biology? Seems to me it's Chemistry. –Rush “Chemistry”

Steam Power-

Scientific Method – Science like nature must also be tamed, with a view towards its preservation. –Rush “Natural Science’

Steel-

Communism – Hold the red star proudly high in hand. –Rush “2112”

Assembly Line-

Physics-

Biology - A simple kind mirror to reflect upon our own. All the busy little creatures chasing out their destinies. Living in the pools, they soon forget about the sea... –Rush “Natural Science”

Railroad – And on Sundays I elude the Eyes, and hop the Turbine Freight. -Rush “Red Barchetta”

Fascism-

Artillery- Confused alarms of struggle and fight. Blood is drained of color by the flashes of artillery light. No one gets to their heaven without a fight. –Rush “Armour and Sword”

Electricity –

Medicine –

Combustion - I fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar. Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime. –Rush “Red Barchetta”

Industrialism –

Flight – Fly by night away from here. –Rush “Fly by Night”

Fission - Imagine a man where it all began. A scientist pacing the floor in each nation, always eager to explore, to build the best big stick to turn the winning trick, but this was something more... –Rush “Manhattan Project”

Refrigeration-

Radio – Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive. –Rush “Spirit of Radio”

Rocketry - We can go from boom to bust, from dreams to a bowl of dust. We can fall from rockets' red glare, down to "Brother, can you spare” Another war -- another waste land -- And another lost generation... –Rush “Between the Wheels”

Plastics –

Computers – Our great computers fill the hallowed halls. –Rush “2112”

Mass Media – In their own image, their world is fashioned. No wonder they don’t understand. –Rush “Natural Science”

Satellites –

Ecology - Stay out of the sun. It only burns my skin. Sky’s full of poison and the atmosphere too thin. Bless the sun, the rain no more. River running like an open sore.
    Black wind falling to the ocean floor and the red tide washes ashore. –Rush “Red Tide”

Genetics –

Robotics- 1001001 -Rush “The Body Electric”

Composites –

Fiber Optics –

Fusion –

Future Tech – The most endangered species, the honest man, will still survive annihilation. Forming a world, a state of integrity, sensitive, open and strong. -Rush “Natural Science”

15. bestbrian

Nice. Good to see you putting the weekend to good use. :goodjob:

16. stee

stee 将軍職

LOLZ... I'm with you on that :)