1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

always getting great library

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by robincox, Dec 17, 2013.

1. robincox

robincox Warlord

This is how i nearly always get to build the great library, even tested on immortal difficulty.

Choose iroquis for the forest start bias. First build 2 workers while you reasearch toward writing. Once your second worker is finished, you usually can start building the great library. Now research mining, once you have mining, start chopping trees and you will have built the gl after about 2 to 3 trees chopped down.

2. Evie94

Evie94 Warlord

and less trees for the Great Warpath and Longhouse, as well as neglecting scouts, warriors, shrines and monuments unless you go tradition. all for a wonder which is actually pretty poor

3. robincox

robincox Warlord

But still, getting the gl that early, thus slingshooting to philosophy to get an early national college is wort it. You will be in the top scientifically for the rest of the game.

4. Syailendra

Syailendra Prince

i always lead scientifically without building gl.

5. jlim201

jlim201 King

well, that is you, not him.

6. robincox

robincox Warlord

I tend to lead science at the end of the game, but by getting GL and NC fast, I get in front from the start.

7. neoaspilet11

neoaspilet11 Chieftain

does it work for quick settings?

8. tommynt

tommynt Emperor

something which no1 else ever did - ah wait every1 who did it stoped it cause its dumb

9. georgie

georgie Warlord

I wouldn't want to play as the Iroquois every time just to get GL...

10. megabearsfan

megabearsfan Prince

I assume the only reason the Iroquois are recommended is because they have a forest start bias? So wouldn't the Celts work equally well, with the added benefit of possibly giving you an early Pantheon before you cut your forests down?

11. VicRatlhead5199

VicRatlhead5199 King

Same thing I was thinking. Might have to settle for only one faith from your UA but you wouldn't be hamstringing yourself like an Iroquois would.

12. Lord Alexander

Lord Alexander Warlord

Great Library just seems like a big noob trap. It really is kinda useless you can easily catch up and lead science later on. Seems like a waste at the start to go for it.

13. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

This strategy is kind of similar to mine with the exception of building a shrine and a scout instead of the second worker. Researching mining after and chopping for the great library. You don't always start out with a lot of forests around to have two workers chopping forests. Adopting aristocracy in the tradition social policy tree is also helpful for an early great library.

14. VicRatlhead5199

VicRatlhead5199 King

Well it does get you a GS point early on. If you can snag the GL and Oracle you can get a lot further along earlier than a civ without it since you can get your first academy that much sooner. The writing slots are nice too since it's a really early opportunity for theming. "Noob trap" is a little bit of an exaggeration because it's definitely worthwhile if you can get it. The AI is just too dumb to plant academies, that's why it can never seem to capitalize on the GL and lets the player catch up so easily.

I haven't gone for it in months though. Too competitive since writing is one of the first techs the AI goes for. The lost production isn't worth it and you'll be left scrambling to catch up if you get beat to it. 9/10 times you're better off building a granary and regular library.

15. robincox

robincox Warlord

Yupp celts would be just as good ☺

16. robincox

robincox Warlord

With the forest start bias, i have nearly every time got enough forest for 2 workers.

17. robincox

robincox Warlord

But with this strategy you get gl 9 times out of 10.

18. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

I think a salt start with mining first is a better way to go. Any civ can do it.

19. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

That's something else, you could also get jungle tiles. I have nearly every time got to build the great library with a shrine instead.

20. Tabarnak

Tabarnak R.I.P.

This. Better, granary start with lot of deers/plains wheat. At Emperor or below or mp games it can be appealing only if you get starting land for it and already know at which turn you gonna get it without crippling too much everything else. For example, if i can't get the the GL in 24 turns of faster i just skip it.

The granary start let you bring your cap at 5-6 :c5citizen:, at least.