1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Always renegotiate deals on/off?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by darski, Aug 2, 2008.

?

Do you play with Always Renegotiate ON

Poll closed Sep 1, 2008.
  1. Definitely yes - I want to know when it's finished

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Most of the time - yes.

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. I've never thought about it. what does it do?

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  4. Not very often. it gets in the way of my play

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  5. Definitely not - I want some deals to continue unabated.

17 vote(s)
    44.7%
  1. darski

darski Regent in Training

Recently, I have seen a note or two about the always renegotiate deals option.

I used to play with this on but after reading a couple of SG's I changed it to off.

I am just curious about how others view this option - On or Off?

2. NickyH

NickyH Bismarck with lipstick…

I think it's wort a lot to be able to break some deals whenever it suits me after the initial 20 turns, so it's off for me.

3. Optional

Optional Deity

I used to play with 'always renegotiate deals' on, then switched it off when I started to play a succession game, but I haven't noticed any difference.
    I think the difference is often exaggerated, and that many players don't really know what 'always renegotiate deals' exactly does.
    I have a feeling it doesn't change the game mechanics or options you've got, maybe just provides an occasional extra pop up message.

I doesn't let 'deals go on unabated'.

4. Mathias

Mathias OCC Rocks!

Definitely not. I don't want to be renegotiate a trade for another twenty turns when I only need it for another five or ten.

5. darski

If I sign an ROP with another Civ, it goes on forever when i don't renegotiate it after each 20 turn cycle.

In addition, I have had expired MPP's kick in when I am attacked by a third party. That is what i meant by unabated.

I have ended some ROP deals when it suited me and I have had them stopped by the other party on occasion but they generally like them so they leave them going as well.

6. Rodent

Rodent Carnage

Monitoring deals continously helps against that darski.

I think that Always Renegotiate off can be somewhat of a Cheat since you can keep the lux deals going and cancel the deals you do not want

7. darski

helps against what? I sure didn't mind that they declared and showed up in force.

How is it a cheat if the AI can and does cancel any deals they don't want to continue?

8. Xethorsiph

Xethorsiph Chieftain

The player can cancel deals, it just took me a while to figure out how. When you open the diplomacy screen, there is a tab near the bottem that says "Current Deals". Click this tab and it will bring up your previous agreement. Click on it twice to remove it from the table, then go back to the initial screen. The deal is now gone.

9. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

[If I sign an ROP with another Civ, it goes on forever when i don't renegotiate it after each 20 turn cycle.]

Wait... but with if the AI tribe gains a city (you haven't) and say the cost of the RoP would have gone up? Would they cancel the RoP or just continue it for the original price in such a situation?

10. darski

I have never paid anything for an ROP; it's a straight ROP for ROP trade.

I play at lower levels and it is the only thing on the table but there is no cost to me.

11. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

I actually do not have enough deals with the AI to really need it on, but it helps keep track of things.

12. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

If you don't have to pay for an RoP, you can usually make some gold off of selling one.

13. joycem10

joycem10 Deity

Im always wary of renogotiating deals when im getting a per turn gold from the AI. It seems that often when you click to renegotiate, the AI is able to change its slider so that they no longer have the GPT to continue the deal at the same terms.

14. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

I keep it off so that I'm not locked into 20 year peace deals. I might want to declare war after 10 turns.

15. darski

I think it is one of those little bits of the game that gives everyone a chance to play the *game they want to play*. This is a good thing. :goodjob:

16. eldar

eldar ChiefTank

Off. I don't like my 20-turn deals becoming new 20-turn deals. I leave it up to the AI to re-negotiate if they want.

For instance, if I'm buying 1 luxury for 2 of mine + gpt, and in those 20 turns I've gained a significant number of citizens and territory :mischief: , the cost of that luxury will probably go up... so it's not in my interest to renew the deal!

On the other hand if the AI is happy to continue it beyond 20 turns, but I want to kill it for whatever reason (e.g. got another lux hooked up so it no longer makes sense...) I can.

17. criminiminal

criminiminal Despotic Jingoist

i like to know when the deal is up so i can renegotiate. sometimes i have been waiting for the deal to end but have so much going on that i forgot all about it. sometimes i'd rather take my goods to another civ for more...depends on the size of my empire actually. but i mostly keep it on

18. Xethorsiph

Xethorsiph Chieftain

I'm confused, what is the debate about? What's the downside to having this option checked?

19. darski

The first time that I remember that it mattered was in a Succession Game. By not redoing the Peace Treaty after 20 turns, the team was able to slide into a better position before going back to the table. The point being they would have had to declare before they were ready at the 20 turn mark or they would have to continue in Peace for another 20 turns.

20. Taras Bulba

Taras Bulba gone

off....

just seems easier.... if the AI wants it to continue, I can let it continue.... if I don't want it to, I renegotiate it myself