1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Always tell the AI to GTFO and not settle near you

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Brota, Sep 21, 2010.

1. TLF

TLF Prince

What happens if you kill their settler?

2. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

3. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

You get a free worker :smoke:

I haven't checked whether they usually send him ondefended, though

4. Ihmemies

Ihmemies Nikon F2

I had this happen to myself too. I try to place cities nice 5-7 squares from each other to allow growth.

GUESS WHAT

Every damn time some clueless AI builds its town RIGHT BETWEEN and I need to raze his butt away from the planet's surface. AI seems to be very suicidal these days... in Civ4 it just built next to you, not inside your lands.

5. Abremms

Abremms Prince

i had Egypt do that to me my first game. i was like "Hey Ramses, THANKS 4 TEH MEMPHISES"

seriously though, i don't hate it, it promotes early game tension and if they drop their city on an important resource (as Egypt did in my case, 2 iron nodes!) it really does a good job illustrating how strategic resources cause wars in Civ V.

6. Ihmemies

Ihmemies Nikon F2

I suppose I just need to learn to be better at killing their settlers...

7. Aretii

Aretii Chieftain

Japan settled in my second ring of cities. The weedy thing was that he was at the other end of the continent, past a large city-state, totally unable to defend it.

I showed up with two horseman a few turns later, conquered its sorry self, and extorted a crippling peace deal. Ah, war.

8. Purpureus

Purpureus Chieftain

To heck with that... I did to Augustus on the demo... The region around Rome were full of cotton, I was Egypt, my capital yelled they need cotton, I settled near Augustus... He came at me angry, even marched some punk-ass spears near my border, I promissed I would not settle on his border again, he still showed muscle... So I aligned my chariots and my archers in front of Roman borders... He started picking on city-states and from then on he was the most quiet adversary, leaving the scene for that talkative Alexander, who kept asking for all kinds of friendship... I did not like to befriend the Greeks as they were on the other side of the map and the Germans were much closer to me and Rome.

This game is nice...:D

9. TLF

TLF Prince

I guess I haven't read enough about the game yet.

Are there no cultural boarders needing open boarder agreements like in Civ4?

10. Iceciro

Iceciro Special Ability: Decimate

You need open borders, yes, but cities grow more organically, so it takes a long time for space to fill in.

11. happyturtle

happyturtle Mrs GrumpyOldCivver

I think a good strategy might be to buy the best tiles if you see a settler anywhere near.

12. TLF

TLF Prince

Who are we buying them from? God?

13. Purpureus

Purpureus Chieftain

No, actually God does not use currency :)

It is meant as an investment of setting up your administration in that tile, which represents a smaller region of that Earth.
    Whenever administration is set up in deserted/unpopulated territories there is a significant cost.

14. TLF

TLF Prince

I can accept it as a game mechanic, but considering the time frame, a few thousand or hundred BC, the tribal leader or king claimed the land and kept it by force of arms or the threat of force.
    No administration needed setting up past what already existed.

15. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

In the demo england moved in between two of my cities in order to settlebehind my cities. It was annoying and I did not see a logical explanation either.

I am sure these things will get fixed though.

16. Celevin

Celevin King

All these are part of the "bad mistakes" the AI can choose on easier difficulties. It's obviously a bad choice to settle so far away, but sometimes the AI will randomly choose that bad decision over a good one, like settle much closer.

17. mystikmind2005

mystikmind2005 Prince

The logical reason? Because the developers think it is funny to program the AI to come along and say to players "just just relax while i ram this in as deep as it can possibly go into your territory, arrrhh there cop that".

18. cdcuase

cdcuase Warlord

During a laggy multiplayer game I had a human player do just that, plop a city right next to my capitol (while his own capitol was something like 20 moves away). I guess he saw I didn't have enough units to do anything about it. Anyhow, some turns later he declares war on me and proceeds to use the city as a base of operations. Was really annoying.

19. mystikmind2005

mystikmind2005 Prince

That is a nonsense tacktic, for human or AI because it lies well outside of how civilizations naturally grow and develop and eventually come to blows.

20. CossackProblem

CossackProblem Warlord

Manifest Destiny:

Spoiler :