1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Always wanted to be a Prince

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by PashaM, Apr 15, 2008.

1. PashaM

PashaM Chieftain

Played all difficulty levels upto Prince, tried Prince and failed, AI simply killing me before i even get a chance to biuld my 4-5th city, before i could do anything... impossible to stay ahead of the AI, can't even keep up.
    My question is: How can ANYONE play on that level... not to mention to win.
    Can anyone give some tips, or a general strategy for that difficulty level? thx.

2. Iranon

Iranon Deity Whipping Boy

On Prince and Monarch, you can still dominate all aspects of the game (have a huge empire while collecting all useful wonders and winning all tech races...). Problems are likely to lie in execution rather than picking the right strategy.

Could you provide a save from a time when things start to look grim?

3. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Chieftain

If you haven't checked out the strategy articles in the war academy, that's a good place to start. Print them out and pore over them, then work on implementing the strategies into your games. If prince is too hard for you there's no shame in dropping down a level or two while you work on improving your game. Also there are always threads in the strategy and tips sub-forum. I'm sure if you posted a saved game like Iranon suggested there are a ton of very good players that are always happy to help beginners.

4. Krick19

Krick19 Chieftain

Killing you? If you get conquered before your 4th city, you either need to go back to noble, or build cities faster.

5. PashaM

PashaM Chieftain

Im playing Prince basically because other lower level are pretty easy for me now. How would i go about getting "save" as you suggested? Is it a like a txt file of my moves?

6. Endure

Endure Chieftain

Without you posting saves and/or screenshots, I would guess that your problems are with city specialization. City specialization isn't a big deal up through noble, you can win pretty easily without worrying much about it. When you try to move beyond noble though, it becomes very important.

7. JujuLautre

JujuLautre Chieftain

search into your MyGames/CivIV/Saves/single folder the save file from your game and post it here. If you're playing warlords or BTS, search into the correct folder instead of CivIV.

8. Leodavinci

Leodavinci Great Merchant

Not so important for Prince :rolleyes:

9. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Chieftain

Specialization makes things A LOT easier. Even on prince.

10. IronicBuddha

IronicBuddha Work in progress

I have this problem, except with emperor - I can stay alive, but its impossible to win any military victory

11. bentley004

bentley004 Chieftain

sure it is, not any major specialization is needed, but simple things like planning ahead to put the correct national wonders (also academies/settled great people) in the cities you designed for them is quite important.

of course, micromanaging specialization is not too important at that level of play

12. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

As others above suggested, post a saved game file from where this starts happening and we'll be able to zero in on exactly what you need to do to improve.

That being said, if you're getting creamed that early in the game, then there are a couple of likely explanations.

First off, diplomacy--and knowing your neighbours. If you're next to one of the religious fanatics (Isabella, Justinian, Brennus), you can expect trouble if you don't adopt their state religion. If you're next to one of the psychos (Montezuma, Shaka), you can expect to get rushed very early on if you neglect your military. Are they demanding tribute, or that you stop trading with someone (even if it's just Open Borders)? If someone is a threat early on, and near you, then you may have no option but to cave in. Also remember that Open Borders agreements lead to diplomatic positives, as does the same religion, trading resources, running someone's favourite civic, trading them techs at an advantage, and so on. Figure out early who you're going to court and who you're going to unavoidably alienate.

The second thing: military. Are you researching techs to reveal strategic resources (Animal Husbandry for horses, Bronze Working for copper, Iron Working for Iron)? And then building units? This should be one of your first priorities on a higher level than you're used to. Strong military units will be needed to fend off both barbarians and nearby civs. You need to keep your power rating high. Remember that non-unit builds such as barracks and walls also help your power rating (though not nearly as much as units).

Along those lines, have you considered an early military rush? (I wrote a whole how-to article on this--link in my sig). This could eliminate one of these potential problem neighbours. If you're next to Monty or Shaka, it may be the only real option you have. It's a tough slog that early in the game, but it pays huge dividends later on--especially if you eliminate a rival and capture their capital, which is usually a really good city.