1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Am I doing anything wrong, here?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by CivFan91, Sep 17, 2005.

1. CivFan91

CivFan91 Chieftain

I've been a Chieftain player for about 6-7 years. (Gasp!) Having played a successful game at Warlord, I've decided to try my hand at Regent. I'm including a log of everything I've done, and a pic. (Note that I may delete early pics as we go later into the game.) Please comment on my strategies, so I don't lose a Conquest defeat like I did on the GOTM. No real need to ask me about that one... right?

I am playing Portugal, BTW, even though that appears to be criminal. I am dividing my game into "Rounds" of 10 turns apiece.

***WARNING*** THIS THREAD HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BECOME VERY LONG, AND LONG-LASTING

Well, I hope so, anyway. :)

Game Setup

Map size: Huge
    Barbs: Raging
    Water: 60%
    Climate: Normal
    Temperature: Temperate
    Opponents: 10 (Random)
    Civilization: Portuguese

ROUND I: TURNS 1-10

Turn 1
    Lisbon founded. Fish seen inside my radius, as well as a Sugar just barely outside it.
    Lisbon ordered to produce Warrior unit.
    Sent Worker out West. Noticed Mountains not too far from my location, all in a chain.
    (Comment) I may not be able to employ the CxxC strategy in this case, but I might be able to start it.
    Sent Scout 2 squares North. Found a few more mountains.

Turn 2
    Having been granted Pottery, I chose to research Warrior Code for better offensive/defensive units.
    Instructed Worker to build a Road.
    Sent Scout West. Found yet more mountains, a desert square, and a volcano.
    (Comment) This terrain keeps getting better and better! j/k

Turn 3
    Sent Scout West. Found tons of Grassland and a Goody Hut on a hill next to me. As long as that volcano doesn't erupt...

Turn 4
    Popped the Goody Hut with a Scout. Was taught Ceremonial Burial.

Turn 5
    Worker finished Road. Instructed him to now Irrigate the Plains he was on.
    Sent my Scout to explore the Grasses/Plains in search of Goody Huts.

Turn 6
    Continued exploration; found out the Grasses are in a peculiar "bowl" shaped ring of Mountains.
    (Comment) Strangely reminds me of Mordor from LOTR.

Turn 7
    Found west Coastline w/Scout, and a few more Desert squares.

Turn 8
    Sent Scout North, and found Flood Plains, along with more Plains/Grasses.

Turn 9
    Finished Irrigation; sent Worker SouthWest (outside City Limits) to begin building a road to what will be my next city.
    Found more Desert along the Flood plain. (No surprise there)

Turn 10
    Began building Road.

A fairly good start, no? Note that I haven't even built a Warrior yet. But I am doing fairly good, I believe.

I have made a composite of my empire in Paint. The left part is the city, and the right pic is the terrain NorthWest of the city. ;)

EDIT: PIC REMOVED TO SAVE SPACE AND LOAD TIMES.

2. berserks01

berserks01 Obviously Very Confused

On Regent, you can catch the slingshot very easily, so you should switch research to beeline towards Philosophy. If you're planning on going Republic you can research Code of Law before Philo and get Republic as the free tech. I usually go for Lib for the Great Lib since I usually go Monarchy anyway.

You don't need military that early in the game, so 2 warriors for MP should be good for Lisbon, while you're pumping out settlers. After 2 warrios, you should build Granary then all settlers.

I'd set worker to irrigate all plains and mine all grassland around your capital first. You need your capital to be able to grow quickly so you can get settlers every 5-6 turns.

Since this is a huge map, get another 1 or 2 scouts out for faster exploring and meet other civs so you can trade techs. You don't need CxxC placement in regent ... unless you're planning all military. Even then I'd still go CxxxC.

More when I have a chance to look more closely. But one big map with the minimap is better than these smaller images I think.

3. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

You're expansionist and seafaring. Take advantage of this by making a curragh or scout.
    Whoa, what did you research your first turn? Set your research on turn 0 to not waste the gold. Warrior code isn't much use unless you want to handle barbs better. Writing at minnimum is probably better for you here.
    I think you should have moved the worker to the river BG to improve that because that is a tile that Lisbon will use when the border expands.

Also, since your warrior took that long, I'll guess that you didn't change the worked tile when you finished the irrigation? I would have irrigated first, though.

4. CivFan91

CivFan91 Chieftain

Okay guys, just wait a few minutes, and I'll have 10 more turns...

5. CivFan91

CivFan91 Chieftain

OK, I have a new Log now.

ROUND 2: TURNS 11-20

I plan to put into effect some of the advice I've been given ASAP.

Turn 11

Ordered Lisbon to produce Granary.
    Cultural borders expand.
    Sent Worker 1 square North to Grasslands(Shield) to Mine there.
    Sent Scout to investigate the length of the Deserts; found 3 Gold, 1 Gem. Too far away to get there for now.
    Sent Science to 100%, changed research to Writing.

Turn 12
    Worker began Mining the Grass(Shield) square.

Turn 15
    Scout found Goody Hut. Preparing to pop it...

Turn 16
    Got 25 Gold from the Hut. Exploring Plains.

Turn 17
    Found more Gold resources. (Comment) I have GOT to get OVER there!!

Turn 18
    Finished Mine, building Road there now.

Turn 19
    Scout finds the Southern Border of a rival Civ, approximately 25 squares away as the crow flies.

Turn 20
    Made contact with the Aztecs. Traded Alphabet for Warrior Code.
    Sent Worker 1 square NorthEast.

6. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

I did not read the first 10 turns as you have enough advice on that. I did want to put up a caution about raging barbs on Regent with a huge map.

That is to say that you can expect to not get all that much help with barb camps near you in the AA. So when two civs go into the next age you can expect some trouble.

Uprising on raging can see stacks of 32 barb horses, so I would try to clear the fog and keep it clear as you near the end of the AA.

If you have a lot of land not settled, put out a few sentries to at least keep the camps from being right on your doorstep.

7. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

As to traing away Alphabet. I would first want to know who is in the game. If no one starts with alpha, I would hold off on trading it.

Two reasons, 1- it is an expensive early tech and 2- it leads to writing. If you have others with alpha (or expansionist), then you can down grade its value. If you cannot make any other contacts for a long time, it can be down graded.

At least I want more than a straight up tech for it, especially as you are expansionist. This means you can expect to get all the first teir techs from huts. You should at least get their 10 gold to go with it. Better yet to keep checking and catch them with a worker in the capitol and trade for it.

8. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

My only comment is that gold is not so valuable at this stage of the game as are food, shields and maybe luxes. Gold is found on hills and mountains and takes much too long for your worker to develop until much later in the game. Your gold at this point should come from roads, preferably built along a river to give an extra gold.

9. CivFan91

CivFan91 Chieftain

OK, I am going to wait a little bit for the next round - but only to play a multiplayer of C3C :D

Also, I have withstood such Stacks of Doom before. I always play on Raging, b/c I see more Goody Huts when I do.

10. CivFan91

CivFan91 Chieftain

All right, I couldn't play multi. My mother, who I wanted to play against, is not in the mood to play Civ III. She is a veteran at Regent, but has more fun beating me than helping me. Here is the new log:

ROUND III: TURNS 21-30

Turn 21
    Began Irrigating another Plains square.
    Moved Scout out of Aztec territory; began exploring around their "empire".

Turn 23
    Found more Gold, Gems.

Turn 24
    Found fertile Grasslands near Aztec city.

Turn 25
    Lisbon finished Granary. Began production on Settler. The computer tells me it will take 6 turns.
    Finished Irrigation. Began Roads.

Turn 27
    Found another Goody Hut with my Scout. Will pop it next turn...

Turn 28
    I gained 25 more gold pieces. Worker finished road, and I will irrigate the Sugar soon.

Turn 29
    Began Irrigating the Sugar.

Turn 30
    Lisbon went into Civil Disorder, pushing back Settler production one turn.

Not much has happened, here.

Attached Files:

• Log.JPG
      Log.JPG
      File size:
      75.9 KB
      Views:
  11. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

Don't irrigate sugar plains in Despotism. It does nothing.

12. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

I don't like moving the worker so far from river tiles and the BG tile. You should be mining and roading the BG. It gives the 2 food and 2 shields after finished. I would check to see what my citizen situation is and probably road it first, if it would be worked. Reason, get you get 1 shield anyway and may as well get the extra commerce, but it depends on what you need at the time.

NEVER let early core cities go into disorder, that is just laziness. I do not mind if much later you get a bit careless, especially if it is a more distant city, but you do not want to lose product so early in the game.

This is the only city you have and much be accomplishing something useful.

13. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

Also you want to consider how many citizen you will have working this early in the game. Chances are that you will not get to more than 6, so no need to improve more tiles than you need.

I would have hoped you did a chop to speed up the granary. I cannot tell as you removed the earlier screenie, why not leave posted?

14. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

I agree with vmxa about leaving the screenies up. You'll need to leave them up as long as this thread is still active, because some people will have just begun reading it weeks or months later if your game lasts that long. If I even start reading a thread where the pics have disappeared, I figure it's too old to bother with and stop reading.

15. Heroes

Heroes Heroes of Might and Magic

At regent, huge map, 1st hand writing only costs 320 beakers. On average you only need 6.4 gpt to get it in 50 turns. So I guess there is not much point to do min research at regent level. Just max to republic, then you are rich.

16. CivFan91

CivFan91 Chieftain

Okay, I'll leave up the pics. Now, I am in the middle of a MP game and gambling on the game not crashing, so I will be a while. I'll correct my "laziness" shortly.

17. sorky

sorky Chieftain

I usually go for 4 units before granary, the settler will take 1 gold but with roads he could reach the place in one turn. 2 warriors/ 2workers if there is food bonus or 3 warriors/1 worker without. You are exp with no food so 1 MP / 2 scout / 1 worker, or 1MP/1curragh/1scout/1worker

Your starting position is not that great if you're novice to regent. Only the coast could be settled and you didn't't scout it. We see a second river with good grassland behind mountains but there is a volcano next to it.. :/

18. CivFan91

CivFan91 Chieftain

Sorry, been gone for a while. Took my once-a-year break from Civ III. It's way too late at night, now. I'll do 10 more turns tomorrow. Yeah, I am novice to Regent, but I can't *****-foot by making new games every time I don't like what I see. b/c I WILL go into a MP Regent game sooner or later, and there will be no restarts.

19. CivFan91

CivFan91 Chieftain

Okay, I've got the flu, so I am forced to - :vomit: - wait to play more. But I am able to get up long enough to be in the forum for a little while.

20. CivFan91

CivFan91 Chieftain

I'm still a little sick, but I cranked out 10 more turns. Turns out, today is a 777 day for me. :)

The Log:
    ROUND IV: TURNS 31-40

Turn 31
    Lisbon produced Settler. Ordered to produce another Settler. (8 turns)
    Believing in "calculated risks", Sent settler towards Mountains.

Turn 32
    Built Irrigation on sugar (It will be useful in Republic) and...
    STUPID, STUPID!!! accidentally clicked on the game while in Notepad and
    sent settler to the NorthEast! AACK!

Turn 33
    Sent Settler across Mountains.
    (Comment:) I have never had a volcano erupt in my borders. Also, I have been next to Volcanoes when they erputed; my units were unscathed.

Turn 35
    Finished Roads; Headed for Bonus Grasses to mine there.
    Got Settler atop the Volcano; found a Goody Hut a couple of squares away.

Turn 36
    Worker reached BG.
    Settler reached ideal city site. :)

Turn 37
    Oporto founded. The popped hut gave me BW for free.
    Instructed Oport to build Warrior.
    Began mining BG.
    Scout found another Goody Hut far north.

Turn 38
    Lisbon produced Settler. Set production to Settler.
    **PALACE EXPANDED**
    Sent Settler SouthWest for more calculated risks.
    WHOOPEE!! Scout popped goody hut, giving me a free city! Bad news, though.
    A Barbarian Warrior is seen just outside the borders. I have no choice but to let it
    plunder. I may as well move the Scout; don't want him killed.

Turn 38.5
    Barb Warrior fortified itself. Phew!

Turn 39
    Found the source of the Barb Warrior: A Barbarian Camp, just two squares outside the city's borders. :-\

Turn 40
    Told Scout to run two squares west to pop another Goody Hut...
    The Goody Hut gave me maps of the region.

The pic is a composite. The top is the new city, and the bottom is the first two. Darn, but the new city is sqished! Barb camp on one side, Aztecs on the other...

Attached Files:

• Log.JPG
      Log.JPG
      File size:
      115 KB
      Views: