1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Am I doing anything wrong, here?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by CivFan91, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Admiral Kutzov

Admiral Kutzov Idiot Emeritus

sorry too many movies. may you live in interesting times. think about it.

2. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

I don't know if it's genuinely Chinese, but generally attributed as being so, though it could be an Americanism and I've heard it all my life here in the U.S. In effect, it's a wish that your life not be too bland and simple, and you can take that idea as good or bad...whichever you like.

3. Heroes

Heroes Heroes of Might and Magic

Thank you. So "an interesting life in Chinese sense" means a life which is diverse, colorful, or lively? Sounds a good phrase ... :) But still why does it have to do with Chinese?

4. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

I honestly don't know. I don't want to start an international incident here. ;) It's just said to be an old Chinese saying...a bit of wisdom if you will. Like I said, it may be an Americanism, meaning an English version of something Confucious or other wise person "might have said". It's sometimes said to be a curse, since "interesting" does not always mean good.

You may be aware we have Chinese restaurants that serve "chop suey", but that it's a dish that I've heard did not originate in China. I think sometimes we attribute good, but unknown and foreign, things to Asia as an older and wiser culture.

We may have more knowledgable people on the board who really know where it came from. I'm not an expert on much of anything. :)

5. CivFan91

CivFan91 Chieftain

Admiral, I am so sorry! I didn't mean to insult you. I was on interesting medication to squelch the remainder of my flu. If it makes you feel any better, I am posting a save.

Oh, by the way, I have kept this game and started another one. That start is AWESOME. I am not looking for advice on this second game, just thought you'd see it. I applied a lot of what you guys said. Grasses, far-away enemies, sweet. Oh, and one detail I forgot... THE GAME IS ON MONARCH. The save-game is from the Regent Game.

I will start Round XII after a couple comments on the save. Again, Admiral, sorry!

Attached Files:

6. nullspace

nullspace Chieftain

The save game is the Monarch game. Why is the nearest civ so far away?

7. CivFan91

CivFan91 Chieftain

Oops. Sorry. The Regent game is here.

Don't ask me why the Civs are so spread in the Monarch game. It's a large map, with 7 opponents. Oh well, it gives me room to Rome!

8. Gilder

Gilder Chieftain

I once had an entire continent for myself on Warlord. It was standard everything and took up half the map. It was sweet. Too bad I couldn't colonize it in time.

9. CivFan91

CivFan91 Chieftain

I am currently at War with the Inca in this game. I am having such fun kicking their UU's @$$. I am allied with the Maya, who it was NOT fun to go to war with (before we were allied.) It also was not fun having two Vet Archers lose to a Barb Warrior. At least I am doing well.

I think I am getting the hang of Regent/Monarch. If you guys see anything in the save which suggests I am doing something wrong, please let me know. My reason for thinking I got the hang of it is that the Ancient Age is definately where Civs are made or broken, and I am going to be coming out of it, soon.

10. vmxa

vmxa Chieftain

Well a large map with only 7 civs is going to mean a lot of room to move around. It is about the same as playing with the normal number at the lower level.

I did not look the screenie over, but I did wonder why MoM in a size 2? Is it a place holder? Why so many settlers in size 1 or 2 towns? Some will not be able to grow in time to build the settler without waiting.

The number of settlers going is due to the distorted map (7 civs). You would not have use for so many settlers on such a short time frame with 12 civs in the game.

It sort of reminds me of an AP game, where you have to crank out settlers and workers feriously as units are built so quickly.

11. Heroes

Heroes Heroes of Might and Magic

Thank you very much for your patient explanation. It's always good to learn new things, -- en, I think this sentence is indeed from Confucius ("to learn and to go over every now and then, isn't it a pleasure?") :)

12. CivFan91

CivFan91 Chieftain

MoM was a placeholder, and I got ToA with it. :)

13. nullspace

nullspace Chieftain

I took a look at your save, and you've got an interesting game going on. Two quick things: a worker should almost never leave a tile without building a road. That will save turns moving the workers, and you're going to regret the lack of roads when you switch to republic and every roadless tile costs you 2 gpt. Also, don't let cities that have granaries or barracks riot for two consecutive turns because the improvements can be destoyed.

I think you should explore and trade more. The Portuguese are expansionist and seafaring, but you have no scouts or boats right now. You can trade republic for mapmaking with anyone, build some galleys, and try to meet some more civs. Tech trading will really help you keep up with the tech race.

But maybe the most important thing is to figure out your strategy. How do you intend to become powerful, and how do you intend to win? So far, it looks like you're going to be peaceful for a while, since you're building two wonders and few troops. What are you planning to do with the wonders? You've picked an odd combination of wonders, because the GL will force the ToA to become obsolete. Either of these wonders can be quite powerful with the right strategy, but I don't see any particular reason why you're building them. So what's the plan?

14. berserks01

berserks01 Obviously Very Confused

If that's monarch then I don't think you have enough miliary. The setback of being alone on an island is the lack of contact and thus the lack of techs to trade. I'm guessing the other civs are already ahead of you in techs and military.

But, that being said, looks like you're expanding pretty quickly and doing pretty well. The only difference between your style of play and mine is that I wouldn't have so many cities build settlers. I'd have 1 maybe 3 cities pump out settlers while the rest concentrate on growth and military.

15. CivFan91

CivFan91 Chieftain

That pic is more than a little outdated. I am barely behind in the tech race, but that will soon change. Here are two pics. Number one is PART of my empire. The other is my well-organized forces on their way to the Incan capital... MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Attached Files:

16. Ansar

Ansar Détente avec l'été

C3CFanatic, nice expanding! now you just need Chivalry and SunTzus. ;)

17. berserks01

How come you didn't stack your troops together into 1 or 2 stacks? It'll make moving them easier and you'll have yourself 2 SOD.

But yeah, it's looking good for you so far. Start sending out those galleys :D

18. CivFan91

CivFan91 Chieftain

While playing the monarch game, I got some... interesting screenies.

PIC I - The Mayan leader is renegotiating an alliance vs. the Inca - and apparently is trying to negotiate something else entirely. (Read what he says)

PIC II - Someone mentioned Barbarian SOD's. I may need to call off my invasion for some time, to prevent, oh, I dunno, being ransacked of all of my money?!? (The second pic is a composite) And boy, do I have money to take!

Oh, and BTW, I am using both ScreenshotAssistant and CivAssist II. For anyone who does not know about ScreenshotAssistant, It automatically saves things on the Copy/Paste clipboard as any form of pic you want. That includes screenies, and if you hit Ctrl-C to copy in Paint. I found this out while preparing these screens for you guys. I had about 15 copies of Smoke-Jaguar saying what he said before I figured out why it didn't paste correctly. Oops!

Attached Files:

19. berserks01

In the second screenie, I noticed that the alerts says that you're wasting 218 beakers on research of Monarchy. I hope you know that you can lower the science slider and still have it finished in one turn.

20. CivFan91

CivFan91 Chieftain

Yes, CivAssistII doesn't resfresh till the next turn or if I click 'New Report.' I set the sliders to 20% Sci for just that reason. That's why I am getting 99 GPT in Despotism. :D