Am I just crazy or is Civ4 just not as fun as Civ3?

Warlord Sam

2500 hours and counting..
Now, before we start hating on me, hear me out...

I think Civ4 is a great, beautiful game. I think its one of the best games out, and the best Civ game. I have a very high end system so the game can be played with all options on/high and on huge maps with no problems...

I just feel like something's missing? I play it, enjoy it, play on harder difficulties that challenge me, and yet I'm just finding myself opting to play other games more often.

Is this common for anyone else? Is there something different or missing from this interation that makes it not quite as addictive?

Or am I just crazy? :crazyeye:

Nah this has been said before, i personaly prefer Civ IV, but i can see what you mean.

i felt that way for awhile but now that i know what i am doing there is alot going on in IV.
- Spies sabotaging oil and uranium , (and using airports)
-subs and caravals carrying stealth units
-circling fighters
-ect
the pacing has been criticized as to fast - but i am liking the pacing now, i mean u should have to use slightly behind stuff and in the late game ww2 equipment gets used the most. to late to go back to civ3 for me. it is lifeless.
I use single units for clarity (and unity- i mean the ships and planes are single)blue marble mod , nix the space race, large , prince.:scan:

Crazy indeed. Or you miss that truly "epic" feel of the game, which I did... but if you go into the modding community, you can find nearly anything you want.

People just like to whine, these forums are good evidence of that.

You might not be having as much fun because the defense has the advantage in Civ4. You really have to work to take cities conversely, defending your own can be boring.

I don't miss Civ 3 at all. If you call Civ 4's AI crap, I'd say Civ 3 didn't have an AI in the first place.
If only they actually done a better job taking into people's machine's specs into account, then I really don't have a gripe about Civ 4.

CIV 4 has a more entertaining playfield. But I personally, find myself playing other games. I think there is a very limited amount of units, upgrading is too costly and alot of times not worth it, spies suck, units go obsolete too easily past medieval era, AI still doesn't know how to band together efficiently (though AI overall has improved and is probably my favorite thing in Civ 4)

Thats just the simple gamplay mechanics I find annoying and usually keeps me from getting into it - as much as I have in previous versions. We arent crazy, we just expected more than a simplistic base version of the once complex strategy game, or at least I did. I know that sounds pretty harsh but I still feel this game has more time dedicated to eye candy than gameplay with so many basic elements fudged.

Combat could be more fun with more options/decent spies. AI as I said has improved but there wasnt really anywhere to go but up from civ 3. I think alot of the praise 4 gets is due to the huge faults with 3. I have seen some people still hanging on to Civ 2 on here. I havent played 2 for a while but I may have to break it back out again sometime to look back on it again.

Anywho, your not the only one.

CIV IV is far better in my opinion. I cannot phantom why some ppl think otherwise. The only huge problem with CIV IV is the technical issues.

Yes, you are right, I could not put my finger on what is missing either.

I added the Blue Marble from ColdFever of civilized.de, that was a great add-on :cool:

And of course the memory fix- by Harkkonnen, what a great person :king:

These add-ons have made the game much better, and I think once the Modders do there thing it will only get better, its a shame there was not an editor like C3C had, but I guess the modders will take care of that later.

But until then, im playing a REDUX version of C3C. ;)

Kah-rayzeee! I find myself playing other games too, but IV is clearly superior to III. I do get "one more turn" with Civ 4, but I don't feel so compelled to start a new game once I finish one. This is actually good. I tend to "burn out" my interest to a game if I play it obsessively.

ya I get that sense of there's something missing as well but I don't know what that something is.

Maybe you should just play Civ3 again to see. You know, it's maybe like those celebrities who get half-saint status in the view of people after they die. Because no one want's to remember their bad stuff since you don't do that with dead people.

Rince

Yep, there's definitely something missing in Civ IV... my ability to be any good at it! :p

Seriously, though, I do think Civ IV is a huge improvement on Civ III. Technical issues aside, I think they have addressed a lot of things that made III a chore to play and overall it's a lot more intelligent now... and fun!

There are so many game options to try I wonder if you have had a chance to play with many of them yet? Have you set yourself a specific challenge or win condition to test your mettle against the AI? Have you looked at the Game of the Month challenge on here; it's fun to see how you measure up to everybody else.

I think the beauty of this game is it's versatility for such a wide variety of players - from peaceful builders to bloodthirsty warmongers, fast and furious games to epic ones lasting for many hours/days, easy peasy to suicide mission modes, and everything in between. There should be something to satisfy everyone. :)

I hope you find your missing fun factor X, I have it by the bucketload here!

Top Bottom