1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Am I legally allowed to upload the streaming E3 video from Gamespot ?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by aneeshm, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aneeshm

aneeshm Chieftain

I'm using Linux , and mplayer allows me to dump the raw stream data to a file . I can use mencoder to convert the raw stream datas to another type of file , like wmv or QuickTime or some such .

Am I allowed to upload that here for people who have a slow internet connection , like me , but want to watch the movie ? Is it legal ?

2. Icevulture

Icevulture Chieftain

Don't know. If I were to guess, I'd say as long as you give credit to the source, and aren't using it to make profit for yourself it should be fine, but I'm not studying law so I don't know for sure.

3. Vael

Vael Shadow Angel

Well, there's a reason why it's streaming and not normally download-able.

People have posted screenshots here before and those were removed... I can only assume the same would happen with a video unfortunately.

4. SniperDevil

SniperDevil Skipper of Barnegat Bay

i disagree. The screenshots that were posted were taken from a source that demanded MONEY. Whereas this video is free to the general community. If you upload the video i do not think it will be a problem. Just give the source.

5. Vael

Vael Shadow Angel

When they provide the video they show a number of ads. I imagine that they get a certain amount of money for each person who sees those ads, so it's essentially the same thing. Fewer people seeing the video (ads) through their source = less revenue.

6. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

Asking here is pointless. In most cases the material is copyrighted with all rights reserved. You have to ask the source first.

7. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.