Am I missing something, or is this a bug?

679x

Warlord
I'm playing a game of Civ 6 on Mac to try out the Poland DLC which I just purchased. I'm playing a game with all the civilization DLCs as well as Rise and Fall.

I founded a religion with the Choral Music belief, which should be giving Culture equal to the intrinsic Faith output of the city's Shrine or Temple. I've got 13 cities right now, and 4 or 5 of them have Holy Sites. All of my cities have my religion as the dominant religion. But, the Choral Music belief only seems to be affecting cities that I founded, and NOT any of the ones that I captured from India (whom I eliminated).

My capital has both a Shrine and Temple, and is getting 6 culture as a result, and my other founded city with a Holy Site has the ability to build a Shrine, saying it will give 2 Culture. In the cities Mysore and Agra though, which I both captured a while ago, Shrines and Temples are not giving any Culture, despite both cities having my religion as dominant. I thought perhaps it hadn't updated or something, so I finished constructing a Temple well after getting the religious belief, and it's still not providing any culture.

Is it intentional for cities NOT founded by me to not be receiving the bonus? My guess is that it's a bug, and I don't see any information saying it's intentional, but I thought I'd post it in general discussion section first just in case it's not actually a bug. What's going on? I can provide screenshots later if needed.

Obvious question, but maybe I missed it: did you spread/convert your conquered cities to your founded religion? Edit: never mind, just re-read and saw where you said all of your cities have it.

Another question: if they have been converted, are those cities working their religious districts? (Not sure if that applies actually.)

Last edited:
It might be the trick how game modifiers work. From what I've observed game modifier is applied to the building on the moment it is build. Therefore your captured city buildings does not give you culture for at the time they were build by India such modifier was not applicable to them.

Edit: If you build new building (shrine or temple) in a captured city this new building should yield you culture.

Last edited:
so I finished constructing a Temple well after getting the religious belief, and it's still not providing any culture.

It might be the trick how game modifiers work. From what I've observed game modifier is applied to the building on the moment it is build.

Based on 679x's comments, it might be based on the modifiers in play at the time you start to build the building, rather than when you finish the building?

Last edited:
That is odd. You had me worried there for a minute. I was thinking that my perception was that my culture was increasing rather rapidly in games where I had choral music. If your statement was true it would have all been my imagination :scan:.

I certainly am getting the bonus in my game from holy sites that I used an inquisitor to turn from other religions.
Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 8_23_2018 7_01_55 AM.png

Spoiler :
Sid Meier's Civilization VI (DX11) 8_23_2018 7_02_16 AM.png

EDIT: Did you use an inquisitor? Perhaps having any other religions in the city negates the choral music bonuses? Which makes no sense from a gameplay or logic perspective, as religions almost always mix in a given region (especially frontiers where 2 or more civs meet). It is the only explaination I can come up with, other than a bug specific to your computer.

Last edited:
Looks like a bug. But I am curious, did you build the shrine and temple in Mysore and Agra or did India build the shrine and temple? I was thinking maybe that was the problem. In that at the time those buildings were built, they weren't affected by choral music, and the game doesn't recognize the "switch over" and update those buildings to give culture. If you build a holy site, shrine, and temple in other Indian cities does it give the proper culture?

Correct me if I wrong, but Choral Music is a Follower Belief, so it which civilization built it would be irrelevant.

Correct me if I wrong, but Choral Music is a Follower Belief, so it which civilization built it would be irrelevant.

Should be irrelevant, if it's working as I understand it's supposed to work. I think the open question per the above is whether it's working as described.

Looks like a bug. But I am curious, did you build the shrine and temple in Mysore and Agra or did India build the shrine and temple? I was thinking maybe that was the problem. In that at the time those buildings were built, they weren't affected by choral music, and the game doesn't recognize the "switch over" and update those buildings to give culture. If you build a holy site, shrine, and temple in other Indian cities does it give the proper culture?
I built a temple in one of those cities on my own accord after it was captured, and still am receiving no culture from it. I'll try building a brand new holy site in one of the old Indian cities and see whether I can get culture from buildings there. I also just conquered Greece and they had their own religion (which has since been eradicated and replaced by my own ;) ), so I know they'll have holy sites, but I forgot to check whether I'm getting any culture from those - will see next time I play it.

Ok, I have even less idea of what is going on now haha, because I just checked and none of the captured Greek cities are giving culture from their holy site buildings, BUT, Uruk's holy site buildings ARE giving culture. It may be worth noting that I converted Uruk to my religion with Jadwiga's culture bomb ability long before I actually warred and captured the city, but the city was a Shinto holy city. I did not convert any other cities using culture bombing.

Meanwhile, I just built a fresh Holy Site in Delhi, and it says that the available building (the shrine) would not give me culture, unlike in one of my original cities where even before building it, it tells me it'll give culture.

In addition, while typing this, I actually just noticed that in Rhodes, one of the Greek cities I captured, it says I am LOSING! culture from a present Shrine or Temple, but it has Shinto as its dominant religion, and not Buddhism, which is my own. It says -2 Culture from Shrine and -4 from Temple. What on earth?? If I had to guess, I'd bet that if I were to convert it to Buddhism (which I am trying to do), it will then receive the culture belief bonus, adding 2 and 4 culture to the Shrine and Temple, respectively, counteracting the negative culture and equalizing it at +0 culture for both buildings, which would line up with what's happening everywhere else except Uruk and my own original cities.

So now I would really like to know what is up with this negative culture business! Again, no mods, just Rise and Fall and all DLC except that Vikings one. Super weird.

Top Bottom