1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] am i missing something?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Strategy & Tips' started by meurglys, Jul 9, 2019.

1. meurglys

meurglys Chieftain

so i tried a game as brazil going for a cv, emperor continents standard size etc... took me 320 turns i **** you not

i was pumping out 1200 tourism, had all the great works, had a mountain range blocking me off from the other civs so i had a whole continent to myself. had open borders, trade routes, the policies, resorts, wonders, natural parks...

it got to the point i had to build a giant army because my neighbors were getting close to a sv. the chinese guys can get cv in 1/4 of the time i do, what am i doing wrong? i try to emulate mr civtrader6 and used chops, didnt get a religion or a relic tho

2. meurglys

meurglys Chieftain

3. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

So when your CV is hitting 320 turns on emperor there are 2 major causes.
    Greece or Russia is in the game
    You are not pushing aCV hard enough.

1200 is a lot of tourism but I have used 2500 before but to be fair not on emperor.

You must concentrate more on your victory, 1200 tourism by 320 indicates you are not creating it fast enough or do not have enough cities. Regardless of which of the three culture fiends was in the game you really must get to your first theatre and Oracle together in a city with Pingala otherwise they get too many great writers which is often the issue.

If you have a save without mods I can have a look but what I would be interested in is number of cities, how much culture the opposition is making (not tourism)

If you had added the word CV to the title you may have got more answers or if you had posted in the general forum as sadly not so many read this forum.

Regardless I am glad to help you as much as I can, it is about how much culture the enemy is making. If one is shooting away with a lot of culture you must
    Have both open borders and a trade route with them.
    Use rock bands against them, they will be better than a national park
    Be the same government as them once you get to tier 3 governments. ( this is a big one)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    borad likes this.
  4. meurglys

meurglys Chieftain

Thanks so much I am ecstatic that you want to help. We talked a long time ago before but I’m not sure you remember as my last thread was laughably pathetic

So for one both Greece (gorgo) and Russia were in the game. Two, I had oracle but I focused on expansion early in the game so I didn’t get a writer until the medieval age. I see the problem here I didn’t push culture early enough, but I’ve also seen posts that say the first hundred turns should be devoted solely to expansion and after you lay the foundation for your empire you can like go for the infrastructure, so I am a bit conflicted about this. Also I had 12 cities, don’t have the save but I do have a save of another culture attempt as Congo that took 270 turns

Also I feel pretty abject asking this but I’m still confused about the district discount thing (lol). Do government plazas mess it up? And so if I have two campuses, research writing and astrology do I get the boost for just one holy site and not two?

Edit: oh dang, forgot to add, the first thing i always build no matter the victory type is a campus. i always push those right at the beginning, is that a good idea or am i a retard who still thinks its civ 5?

5. Victoria

A CV is a bit different in this regard. One of the most important things with a CV when you have these enemy civs (especially Greece) is to stop the opposition getting great writers. If you cannot do this then building up spies to steal their works (get them promoted against other civs first) really helps. Intelligence agency is the best govt building for CV.
    nope, you need to get Pingala promoted and you need a govt building for this.
    I have to work today but will check tonight, as as much as you want, and I do remember you first post, everyone has to learn sometime.

I was updating the first reply when you replied so read it again. The expansion phase is normally until around 80, not 100 and with a CV you do need to eat theaters running ASAP and really look at you culture inspirations for what can speed you up. Archaeology is superior to artworks, rock bands to parks.

A good general rule is you have to be making twice as much tourism as the opposition is culture, and the higher above this you get, the faster you go.
    12 cities may have been too many unless some were late for seaside resorts. (Look for islands or great beach potential)

6. RealHuhn

RealHuhn Chieftain

Researching the techs and civics which unlock a new district "mess up" the discount. So if you get the State Workforce civic which unlocks the government plaza, you need more districts in order to get discounts.

In your example, you get 1 holy site discounted and the 2nd one when the first one is complete. But as soon as you get to State Workforce, you need an additional district. This can be the government plaza of course.

7. meurglys

meurglys Chieftain

Hey thanks for helping me I really appreciate it. Can you explain why 12 cities was too much, I was under the impression the more the merrier. Also, should I be chopping in cities without magnus? It takes 5 turns to move him around and I don’t want to waste time by holding stuff off, but on the other hand I don’t want to waste all that production

8. Victoria

A CV is a race for you to get more tourism before someone gets lots of culture.
    Culture is not that linear in a culture civ, it starts to curve. It is at around The T120-150 mark it will start to curve and the more time you spend making settlers means less time making tourism and getting that going is important. Settlers also get more expensive. 8 cities is normally plenty and if you want to really push a fast CV try 6. But it is complex and if they were really racing away with culture early you may need more but it is something you have to watch on the day.
    Chopping in settlers when you should be chopping in culture/helpful wonders can make a difference. Chopping ancestral hall is the best all round answer and the more wood you have after settlers the more tourism you can get faster.
    With chopping you do not waste production, the longer you leave a chop the more production it makes. An analysis was done and showed that around T80-100 was the ideal time to chop. Also builder costs do not escalate as quickly as chop value. I think most importantly early chop is great for some settlers but consider that chopping in a wonder for the drama and poetry inspiration is important as is getting ancestral hall out early. Ancestral hall early means more governor promotions early and new cities start with a worker as well as also providing 50% settler discount in that city.
    You really have to push a CV a bit, if you go off track building unimportant wonders or useless structures for a CV then there is more chance a civ is going to curve away from you.

Have a look at This post and the speed of victories in the thread compared to the number of cities.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  9. meurglys

meurglys Chieftain

Hey thanks I think I understand culture victories a lot more. I’ve got one last question: So like I just got gathering storm last day of the sale and the ai buy luxuries for like 75 gold in the early game. @civtrader6 says you should sell your luxuries to buy settlers and snowball but all his videos are before GS and the ai pays like 200 gold for luxuries so I can’t buy settlers like I used to. Is there any other way you’re supposed to do early expansion in immortal/deity besides conquest or picking the religious settlements pantheon for the free settler? I’ll trying to get 10 cities by turn 70 like civtrader6 for a fast SV as pericles

10. Victoria

So be aware that fast SV’s are not quite so fast now.
    Having the 50% settler card in play and ancestral hall allows for cheap settlers and makes it possible.
    Naturally each settler reduces population so Magnus provision helps as does chopping with Magnus with ancestral hall in the city.
    Buying is still quite possible, settling on a lux and selling it for example still gets a lot of gold that only the high level game civs can afford. In fact being suzerain of city states gains diplomatic favour which you can sell for a lot of cash, much more than luxe’s. Get those CS quests done, build theaters ASAP as each one gives Pericles an envoy.

Civtrader6 is a very good player but remember his games are selected wonderful start locations. The ability to get CS first finds of the right type in quantity at the start is a big bonus as is having the room for 10 cities on deity. A large/huge map can help if you are having trouble.

11. meurglys

meurglys Chieftain

i noticed in 3 of his series he got like all the first envoys, but what i liked about his pericles game was that he was sandwiched in between like 3 empires without much decent places to settle other than his capital and the place victoria stole (lmao) and there was no adjacency bonuses for campuses and he still got a turn 150 win. he also didnt abuse goddess of the harvest which i try not to use since its just absurd

also hes a really personable dude. civtrader6 is my dad

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  12. Victoria

he is cool, say hello from me, always liked his posts and his replays are a good watch. I find it funny when he forgets to do something so desperately starts clicking the screen to make it happen anyway.

So he should be advising you not me? I know he seems busy and is often travelling but you have something in common. A dad will go out of his way for that.
    My boys are into everything but civ. The eldest used to play V but he says it takes too long for him now.

13. pkaem

pkaem Chieftain

I am far from good at this (t207) cv on std/std/deity still remains my record. But I don't feel like rerolling starts over and over. I'd stress getting diplo favor to sell, sell everything. Favor, lux and strategics. Don't neglect china for CV, their ability to worker charge wonders helps with low wood/stone starts. I often find myself getting a quick settler (mostly scout/settler) and put down a third city with religious settlements now. From there I rush the oracle after magnus and a campus in my cap. If there is a desert tile I go for pyramids in one of the others (mostly hard built). The one that's left builds the plaza. I go drama and poetry with oracle boost and slam down a theatre square in my cap aswell (should be pop 4 now). Chop in and get the amphetheatre aswell. Whem pyramids done, I build a 2nd campus there for recorded history boost, move twoards political philosophy and see if I can chop apadana aswell and build ancesteral hall after plaza finishes. My gold is spend mostly for workers, emergency units or granary in the cap or if things go smooth, monuments. After apadana I'll see if I can get the great libary (getting every one of these wonders is not often the case). After this pingala moves to the cap and I send magnus to cities with lots of chops. Now I spam settlers until around 8 to 10 cities. You can't really afford war here so peace is more or less required. My new cities start with theatres and I chop immediately without waiting for magnus. If there are plenty of chops it might me worth to wait after the theatre square plus amphetheatre to chop a later wonder or a commercial hub. I switch from autocracy to republic after the wonder chops for great person points. Also consider the +2 writers card earlier. Promote up manus ti his tourism boost and put as many works as possible in the cap. I am not sure if its even worth building granarys and monuments in every city rather than just spam theatre projects. I also wonder if it might be benefical to stay republic for the rest of the game if you want to go really fast. Try to befriend as many ai's as you can aswell as cs. Form alliances when you get there for extra favor. Sell it all and buy workers and later museums. Continue theatre project spam and win.