am i the only one hoping for civ BE 2 now 6 is done??

No, you're not the only one. I really enjoy BERT. I would love to see another iteration with more factions, more options for quests and units (floating explorers, PLEASE).

Any successor to BE(RT) would need to have some design goals, so I wonder what they would choose for BE2.
  • Would need to be available on consoles and iPads, like Civ6 was. They would be foolish to walk away from those customers
  • Would need to be planned with DLC as Civ6 was, to give a continuous revenue stream
  • Would need to re-examine the tradeoff between strategic view and orbital layer that they made in BERT, and the impact on console or tablet players
  • Would need to consider whether districts from Civ6 are brought into BE2, and how those would work for aquatic cities
Those are needs; other aspects are "wants", such as
  • More consistent / compelling story about why the factions are landing on the planet
  • More variety and personality for the sponsors
  • Greater role for the stations; could they be captured like Civ5/Civ6 city-states?
  • Whether to include Civ6 style game modes
  • Whether to update the victory conditions to include VC's from Civ6
If they can figure a way to make it profitably, I would love to see BE2

I would have preferred Civ BE 2 to any other Civ game I've seen since, thats for sure.
Except Old World, I guess. Soren Johnson still a genius. Though from one point of view it's not a civ game.

The main reasons that BE failed appear to be: 1.The original BE was seen as too much like Civ V. BERT was much better, but it was too late as players had already moved on. 2. There is suppose to be OP ways to win, which cuts down on replay ability. This goes along with 3. Many people feel that the game was too easy. The A.I. was not a challenge. 4. You have to do the silly "dance" to load mods. The mods corrected a lot of the problems of the original, and could have made it a very good game.

I take exception with calling BERT a failure. I play it 3-4 times a year still. Far more than Civ VI. If anything Civ fans and Firaxis failed BERT. It was in far better shape than Civ V at every point in its development (until abandonment), yet a large number of players thought it should be something else and Firaxis decided not to finish it.

The basics of what BERT is are mostly great. It only needed to be finished and it would have been a classic to build off of. Yet, they decided, as I stood in disbelief, to abandon BERT when it was so close.

BERT is perfect, imho.

I look forward to whatever rabbit Firaxis pulls out next!

Please, no BERT 2. Simply provide an update to BERT 1. Well polished, it would be an amazing game. Fix severe imbalances between factions, seeding options, etc, fix health system (make unhealth a thing to care about), fix exploits (taking pods for thousands of science), fix AI absolute incompetence in performing excavations which cripples all their game, fix the fact that the game ends WAY to early, (lower amount of affinity techs and quests provide and make victories require 18 affinity),
make in-game descriptions for artifacts. I don;t want to play the game with having to look at my phone for artifact combinations, Firaxis.

Also, make Aliens more interesting. They are boringly predictable and exploitable if they literally never attack you if you never attack them. Barbarians in Civ 5 are way more interesting.
And in ending, fix the spying system, aka NERF it into oblivion since right now you can win by rushing Spy Agency and hitting next turn.

BE was a fine game once it was patched and the Expansion came out, I used to play it often. It was a tweaked version of Civ5 on an Alien planet.

I think the reason it failed had nothing to do with the game itself, but rather the fact that most potential customers were not interested in a Civ5 on an Alien planet, they wanted an updated Civ 5 on Earth. That is probably why you will not see a BE2, not enough market for it.

Personally, I was a bit disappointed by BE and have now dropped it completely for Civ6. It felt too much like a regular Civ game...but on an Alien Planet. If you are going to do a science fiction game, I would want the ability to explore solar systems, discover new planets and colonize them.

BERT is a game I keep returning to, and I would love a BE 2. I would also love another expansion for BE. I think BERT had the mechanics down pretty well, but it could do with some more content. In that sense, it's the exact opposite if Civ 6.

I am so pleased to see the love for BERT here after reading far too much negativity about it elsewhere.
I even prefer it to Civ 6 these days, although I have to freely admit my favourite these days is 'Terra Invicta'

The Civ 6 leader pass did nothing to shake my faith in a release of a Beyond Earth sequel in 2023.

BERT is a game I keep returning to, and I would love a BE 2. I would also love another expansion for BE. I think BERT had the mechanics down pretty well, but it could do with some more content. In that sense, it's the exact opposite if Civ 6.

I tried to return a few weeks ago but the game didn't start. I verified the files on Steam, it said there was stuff missing, but the download seemed to fail everytime. Fearing that a re-install wouldn't solve the issue, I fired up a Civ 5 game with the Inca (something I've been planning for a while). But I'll try again as soon as I finish this game. Hope it is nothing Windows related (I've read some worring reports from people on reddit).

I'm also playing BERT on my Windows 10 machine. I've been keeping it up-to-date with Windows patches, so I would be surprised if you have bad interactions with Windows system files.

My box has both an SSD and a larger hard disk. My SSD is getting full, since that's where I install most games from Steam. Check your free space, just to be sure.

The Civ 6 leader pass did nothing to shake my faith in a release of a Beyond Earth sequel in 2023.

Passing by to say my faith remains unweavering (did I say it correctly?); those "Civ 7 announced" news don't specify what the next civ game actually is... and it would be super easy for them to come straight and say it is 7 (but I bet it is not).

Come, BE2, my body is ready.

I find BE a bit more challenging to start with than V/VI, especially with the aliens knocking around and dangerous terrain, but I really would like to see another Civ In Space title.

Top Bottom