1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Am I the only ones who plays without any city states?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by hardcore_gamer, Jan 1, 2011.

1. hardcore_gamer

hardcore_gamer King

I tried playing a couple of games with city states turned on but I just found them annoying and felt the only thing they did was getting in my way, so I no longer play with them enabled. For me it makes the game much more enjoyable, plus I hear that the game runs slower because of them which might make sense since I haven't ran into any major slowdowns yet.

Who else plays with city states turned off and why?

Discuss!

2. PEACE!

PEACE! Lord.Moldovian.Guy

why would u disable something that gives you bonuses?
    say.. diplomatic victory?
    extra culture per turn?
    resources?
    i dunno about the "run's slower" part.. perfectly fine..

3. Tokira

Tokira Warlord

I haven't tried any games without them, but I never use the "recommended" amount of the city states. I usually play with max 10 city states on large maps and 6-8 city states on standard maps. I don't like the fact that they are settled almost straight next to my capital or that they're on the same lonely island with me on an archipelago map. Basically I could have the maximum amount of them if they'd never be near me ;)

4. hardcore_gamer

hardcore_gamer King

Bonuses you have to pay for and maintain. I just can't be arsed, as dealing with city states just feels unfun.

Not to mention that its extremely annoying when you are moving a settler around and you find a nice little place to settle on, only to find out that there is a city state in the way.

As for diplomatic victory, I never enable it so I don't care.

5. PEACE!

PEACE! Lord.Moldovian.Guy

well,settleing near a resource you want has a price too...unhappynes from the city..
    so it's basicly the same.. either pay in happynes or in gold..
    and if u like some spots that the CS has,build the Louvre,get 2 great artist,and steal those tiles.. problem solved...
    oh and what... you NEVER played to go for a diplomatic victory??

6. se_thrax

se_thrax Chieftain

Your not the only one that runs without them.
    Yes they can be used for bonusses, but if you just want to play a game of fun and not aim for a diplo vict. then playing without them i found quite different.

Instead of the AI spending its cash on them, the AI stacks piles of gold, nice bonus as well to trade for their 18K of gold stack :).

However, the ai less occupied with the city states the more they start making war. The AI understands one thing propperly: I need an army for defence but its collecting dust within my borders so i go to war. Although this can backfire in friendly status but i declare war anyway.

Without city states one policy tree is useless, not nessesarily a bad thing, though the worst side effect must be that alexanders and siams trait ar wasted.

7. hardcore_gamer

hardcore_gamer King

From a gameplay perspective its not the same. I know city states can be useful, its just that dealing with them feels like a chore rather then fun, so I don't bother with them.

No. Unlike you, I don't have Gandhi as my role mode.

I typically try to go for either a domination or a space victory.

8. builer680

builer680 eats too much Taco Bell

I play most of the time without city states, mainly for the same reasons you do. They're annoying and diplomacy with them is silly. I want my land to be MY land, and would prefer to avoid contrived penalties such as "All City States throughout the world declare permanent war on you!" when several of them happen to be in places I've deemed mine.

There have been a few times I've left them on though, mainly because it's fun to try to grow your capital to size 50 sometimes if you flood the map with CS and lots happen to be Maritime. Their bonuses are pretty ridiculous (especially the magical food bonus from Maritime), but as long as I have the option to turn them off, I'm OK with them.

I dread the next game being even more simplified and with even fewer options, and the possibility that you won't be able to turn them off. Of course I suppose I just wouldn't even buy it to begin with, if the trend of oversimplification in gaming continues.

9. NukeEm

NukeEm Chieftain

I have a love/hate relationship with City States. Initially I saw them as a great addition to the game. I like that I can have allies when all my neighbors hate me. When they are next to my empire I see them as a useful buffer when a rival declares war. The bonuses are awesome, and I like the military CS because they tend to have the units for defense when I need some help... (Sometimes I get so involved in building I neglect military) but I think CS need more depth. I would love to see them have a cost modifier based on ideology when raising influence with them. Say, a city state may prefer the "Freedom" policy tree. Well those who adopt it will have to pay less... and maybe the CS might also have a chance, over time, to willingly join your empire. Especially if you defend it from attackers or whatever...

But at the moment I see city states as either "freebie" cities that gimme nice bonuses or mercenaries. So sometimes I disable them.. but I usually don't, it gimps some AI civs and I don't like that idea.

10. Samuil

Samuil Warlord

I tried one game without city states, and limited myself to 5 cities untill artillery was researched... I had 3 huge empires near me more advanced than I was... It was fun :)
    AI plays better with no city states IMHO

11. sketch162000

sketch162000 Warlord

You're not alone OP. I started disabling the CS's many moons ago. (Not that I play Civ V much anymore)

12. Harald

Harald Prince

For the first two or so games played I played with them on but now play without any city states. I don't like them at al, they are much to gamey for me and I feel that they break the immersion of the game.
    Though I play with quite a few mods as well. When I think about it I haven't played in a while.

13. civnoob13

civnoob13 King

try the city-state diplomacy mod if you find city states very shallow. They disable gold bribing, you have to build units spread influence in a similar manner as religion in civ 4.

14. Elliot

Elliot Warlord

I've played with them on, but I'm going to start playing with them off in my next game. The "quests" are fun for the first 50 turns but they just become annoying when the city state on another continent wants you to do something for it. And war declarations are a giant mess. I get flooded with 8+ messages when someone with allies declares war. Why not just have 1 message stating A and B and their city states are at war? I also don't like how once you attack enough city states, all city states start to hate you.

15. Shmike

Shmike Warlord

I turn them off because I simply don't like them. They're always in spots I want to settle in.

16. JohnnyW

JohnnyW Gave up on this game

I did this a few times and enjoyed it because, like you, I find that their implementation (with many other things in Civ5) is quite poorly done.

I keep playing games with them on now though, trying different strats and whatnot. I try to play the game vanilla as much as possible unless I'm working on my mod.

17. charon2112

charon2112 King

I haven't turned them off yet, but may give it a go. Unless of course I'm playing a leader with a CS related unique ability, like Alexander or Ghengis Khan.

18. jpinard

jpinard Martian

I really hate the city-state mechanic as it's just a cheap game trick too add some busy-work to a game lacking natural immersion. So no, you're not the only person who turns them off, as I do as well.

19. Zdarg

Zdarg Prince

City states are one of the main (positive) features that differ Ci5 from Civ4, so it looks somewhat silly to disable them.

I liked Independents in Civ4 RFC mod; city states are better implementation of same idea.

20. Yakka2

Yakka2 Chieftain

I actually increase the mount of city states by 2 to add more tensions into the game.

I like the fact that they've settled on land that I want, because it means I have to go to war with them which means trickier relationships with other civs.