1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Amazon "Release Day" Delivery

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by number51, Sep 20, 2010.

1. number51

number51 Warlord

I got the Amazon "Release Day" Delivery, and have read here that it doesn't always arrive on release day.

So I checked order status at noon CST today (9-20) and got "Shipping Soon". Soon? WTF? I want this game TOMORROW!

I am gonna be ticked if I am on here tomorrow reading about CiV instead of playing!

I know I should have gone with the download, but I'm old school and want the product in hand. It's just going to suck if it's in hand on Wednesday.

2. TheMystic

TheMystic Warlord

Amazon has gotten so much better over the years at providing true release day delivery. They've never failed to deliver on time to me, and I order almost everything from them now.

Chances are it'll be in the shipment today, and will be at your place tomorrow via next day air.

3. Tennyson

Tennyson Prince

If they're overnighting it, it could go out at 4pm and be delivered tomorrow. It all depends.

I have gotten release day delivery on a Wednesday before, but it's uncommon.

4. May Day 10

May Day 10 Prince

Im in the same boat.

Ill post if I get an update.

5. dtolman

dtolman Chieftain

It seems to be a next-day delivery option for only 99c.

From the current page:
    Want it delivered Tuesday, September 21? Pre-order in the next 3 hours and 23 minutes, and choose Release-Date Delivery at checkout. See details.

6. nargulok

nargulok Chieftain

I also ordered from amazon. They are pretty solid on their estimated delivery date's and it says the 21st for me.

If I don't get it though I won't have any problems spending an addional 60 bucks at a local store.

Yeah I know, I have issues.

7. May Day 10

May Day 10 Prince

I hear ya. I could easily see myself "burning" retail price tomorrow if Amazon is delayed.

I am a little concerned I havent received a shipping notification as of yet. I did get one for the strategy guide though.

8. tom123

tom123 Warlord

I really hope my Amazon release day delivery arrives on Friday, I leave for Uni early on Saturday, so no chance to check the post. :/

9. sfasu77

sfasu77 Chieftain

Sorry to ask, but why would you order from a retailer when you can easily preload it and play immediately?

10. RagnorIronpants

RagnorIronpants Chieftain

5 quid cheaper. Also, I foolishly assumed there'd be a tech tree.

11. number51

number51 Warlord

I just checked back at Amazon (5:15 PM CST). Still says "Shipping Soon". It's been shipping soon for 10 hours.

I do feel better seeing some of the replies from Amazon customers that have had success with Release Date Shipping.

12. BubbaYeti

BubbaYeti Warlord

I got mafia 2 from amazon this way and it came exactly on the release day, as it was supposed to. It was also cheaper (surprisingly) than other shipping methods.

13. Luft46

Luft46 Chieftain

OK, just got my email that my order has shipped - woot! Delivery date via FedEx is Sept. 21. I am a Prime member, so release date shipping was free. I'm getting the Special Edition - what can I say? I'm a sucker for figurines :)

14. May Day 10

May Day 10 Prince

congrats.

I havent gotten my email yet.

By the way, Amazon Prime is the best thing ever in the history of ever.

15. May Day 10

May Day 10 Prince

by the way...
    are we going to be able to get Mesopatamia and/or Babylon

16. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

No, Amazon has a different map, Indus Valley at Amazon UK.

Babylon is for the digital deluxe only.

17. bernlin2000

bernlin2000 Prince

Last time I preordered from Amazon I had no problems, and they usually direct UPS to attempt delivery as early in the day as possible (usually before 10am). However, my UPS deliveryman had a very set schedule, so I didn't get it until mid-afternoon (the same as he always delivers) :sad:. But you'll almost certainly get it on release day. :D
    Is that a lot :p. Luckily, the prices in the U.S. are pretty much the same for digital and hard copy, so going the steam route was a no-brainer. And there's a tech tree in the game, you know :)

18. Exterminas

Exterminas Warlord

I do not have a credit card and no intention to get one. Steam doens't like that and doesn't like pay pal or direct billing.

19. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Mainly because they don't have to send it the fastest methods with release date delivery. They have the game before hand, and so can send it on slower methods to get to the release date.

20. Exterminas

Exterminas Warlord

From my experience three things can happen to you, using amazon:

-You use default delivery, the package arrives on release day. You can't count on that, but with some games they were able to send it out thrre day before release, so it would arrive on time.

-You use dafault delivery and it arrives too late.

-You pick overnight-express, it arrives at release-day. Have never witnessed an exeption. The only problem can be that you can't really calculate when it will arrive, I have witnessed deliveries at 8 in the morning and ones at 3 in the afternoon. So better have someone at home, who can take the package.

I have not yet checked out the release day delivery (without paying the extra fee for overnight). But I would play it double-safe, aka having overnight-express and a shop nearby to pick up a copy, if delivery fails. You can send it back to amazon without problems, so you won't have two copies.