1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Amazon "Release Day" Delivery

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by number51, Sep 20, 2010.

1. ltarmstrong3

ltarmstrong3 Chieftain

I had placed a release-date-delivery order through amazon but when they dropped the ball on my CIV V guide order and emailed me on 9-17 (latest est. delivery date btw) that they werent going to be able to ship the guide till november I called amazon on friday about shipping date on CIV V ( i had expected it to ship out friday) and they told me it would ship on 9-20. Well I didn't want to risk not having it on release date so i cancelled amazon order and preinstalled with a pre-order through steam to be safe, plus i wanted the extra civ anyway. I also wanted a hard copy and since i wanted the mediterranean instead of the indus valley preorder bonus, i went friday night to gamestop to preorder for the DLC. Gamestop had already proven themselves much more reliable than amazon since i had ordered the CIV V guide from them on monday 9-13 and received it on wednesday 9-15. Now I have the garuntee that i will have CIV V on 9-21 via the steam download (not to mention the Babylonian civ) and also my hardcopy from Gamestop (maybe later than 9-21 but i have the steam install) with the better map-pack than amazon.

Whew!! Am I nuts or what?!! You would think that the fate of the world depended on me having CIV V on release date!! Oh wait.........

2. Polobo

Polobo Emperor

Quoted directly from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200180350&pop-up=1

"When we offer an item for Release-Date Delivery, we need to be extra careful in working with our shippers to honor the release date restrictions specified by the product vendors. Sometimes, this requires us to process orders outside of our normal procedures, which may result in a lack of tracking information being available from carriers online.

Carriers tend to only update tracking information once daily, and orders are often already scheduled for delivery by the time tracking information becomes available."

I have been quite satisfied with Amazon and so really am not worried about it coming late/delayed (although that actually would be of benefit for me since I might get some work done before it comes).

My guess with the Civ guide is that it was supposed to be bumped back to the 21st to conincide with release date but some store broke street date.

3. May Day 10

May Day 10 Prince

just got my tracking info, delivery tomorrow.

4. Samcro

Samcro Chieftain

Why not just buy it from any of them numerous retail stores that will carry it and are sure to have it in on time? What's the benefit of using Amazon? :confused:

5. ltarmstrong3

ltarmstrong3 Chieftain

Why order delivery from Dominos?

6. Samcro

Samcro Chieftain

I have never heard of anyone wondering if there pizza was going to make it the same day, so once again I ask, what's the benefit? :p

7. ltarmstrong3

ltarmstrong3 Chieftain

You haven't ordered from my Dominos!:p
    But with amazon promising release-date-delivery the benifit is the same providing they deliver on time.

8. cassembler

cassembler typically in screensaver mode

Laziness or efficiency? You make the call.

My box will be waiting on my doorstep after work. :cool:

9. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

Pewter miniatures and an Art book, of course!

Also, I'm loyal enough to CFC to buy through the site link.

10. cassembler

By the way, "Arrival Scan" in PA this morning at 10, expected delivery is 9/21.

I urge you to consider the efficiency of this process... :)

11. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

12. Samcro

Samcro Chieftain

If you work, or have school for most of the day I can see it as efficient, if you have the day off and the launch is at 10am (or 7am for some) it's a day of sitting waiting for the mail. I have tomorrow off and I could go to a store and back before the release happens and be sure to have it and load it prior to the unlock. That seems pretty efficient.

13. cassembler

Of course, I would do the same, for sure! In fact, if I wasn't saving my PTO for the holidays, I would definitely do that.

But like you say, this works really well, and Amazon is really a strong retailer.

14. Samcro

Samcro Chieftain

I got lucky, it's simply a normal off day for me tomorrow. I'm not THAT addicted as to use a personal day.:D

15. Spark026

Spark026 Chieftain

Mine is in PA as well, just 1000 more miles to go...crossesfingers.

16. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

Just Shipped! Next day air.

17. Drago Askani

Drago Askani Warlord

Two words for you sir. Prepaid Visa :king:

18. rastak

rastak Emperor

19. Exterminas

Exterminas Warlord

20. Robovski

Robovski Chieftain

If you pay for expedited delivery you get it for the day (sometimes before). If you don't pay (ground or whatever) it might arrive on the day, might not. You take your chances with Amazon on that point. I went Steam as the game would need Steam authentication to launch anyhow and Empire Total War taught me that having it early (sometime you'll have it a day early) is just a frustration as you won't be able to play. And since I can't play until Steam says I can play (UK here so not until the 23rd) I went to the source instead of my before or on the day supplier GAME.co.uk. Price was the same at the time I change my order so no big deal.