1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Amazon "Release Day" Delivery

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by number51, Sep 20, 2010.

1. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

Yes, I think you're mistaken. You can link your PayPal account to your bank account and pay from there, that is the whole idea.

Although it is not really any different from paying with a debit card. What's wrong with that?

2. DanaLea

DanaLea Prince Supporter

I went with steam for the simple fact that when the Mac version becomes available I can start using that instead. I dislike using bootcamp for games, but as that is my only choice at the moment.... I like this opportunity to save some cash when the Mac edition finally comes out.

3. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

Former boardgamegeek, unfortunately. I had a serious disagreement with how they run the site and so I'm not posting there any more.

More time for CFC....

4. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

Does Steam let you buy the game just once for both platforms? Great!

5. DanaLea

DanaLea Prince Supporter

as far as I understand it, yes. :)

6. Robovski

Robovski Chieftain

Now if I only had to buy a game once for my console as well and we'd be making progress.

7. huserib

huserib Chieftain

Sorry for the bump, but I'm curious if any amazon release-day preorders haven't received their game yet, or if it is just me. :(

8. WolfmanNCSU

WolfmanNCSU Chieftain

I'm in the same boat. Sucks because I really wanted the digital deluxe version (with Babylon), but I was given Civ V as a gift. They ordered through Amazon and because it was their account they have been getting the notification emails (and not forwarding). I did not get it yesterday (release day) so I am keeping my fingers crossed it's there when I get home.

I'd still rather have just bought it myself, I hate being "down" one civilization. Oh well, its the thought that counts, right?

9. WeneedmoreCivs

WeneedmoreCivs Warlord

I ordered mine like a month ago and got it last night when I came home from work. I just wish I was "working" from home today...

10. huserib

huserib Chieftain

Wow, we should start a support group or something. Same boat, my family wanted to get me a nice gift for my birthday (21st of Sep), so they ordered the special edition. Now I'm out a civ but a got a neat statue of the giant death robot :cry: I think they suspected something when I was told and asked "Did you love me enough to get the deluxe edition," and cringed when the reply was "No, we got you something much better." "Geeze, you shouldn't have, that's too much...really..."

I suppose in time I'll appreciate the art book and figurines, which will look nice next to the civ I,II,and III manuals. I'm sorely tempted to buy a new video card to get the free upgrade to the deluxe version.

Anyway, when I found out I immediately canceled my steam pre order of the deluxe edition on Saturday. I'm a little bit more devious though, and logged into my wife's e-mail to snag the info. Sadly all she got was a confirmation, but no shipping info. The order link doesn't exist in her amazon account, which happens from time to time, but I can't exactly call them up and say "Hey, I just hackzored my wife's account and need to find out what's up with this shipment."

On top of that, this morning Amazon sent her the cradle of civilization preorder bonus key, as if to mock me by stating "All you have to do is type the key into the game and download your bonus." Oh the HUMANITY!

Oh well, I'm very grateful for the wonderful thought and attention they gave me. I promise not to rename my first opponents similar to my wife or kids and crush them under my boot.

11. number51

number51 Warlord

I started this thread because Amazon was saying "Shipping soon" for about 16 hours. It did finally ship on Monday about 11 PM CST.

The UPS tracking Info was completely messed up on the times, it arrived in Chicago before it left Kentucky. The tracking said it was on a truck in Addison IL at 7 AM. It arrived at my house in Carol Stream IL at 1:20 PM.

The info that Amazon and UPS share regarding the shipment is worthless, but ultimately the system worked. I got my copy on time and was playing by 2 PM.

Info = F
    Execution = A+

I would use this method again.

12. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Chieftain

UK Amazon but I've gotten an email to say my copy will be here tomorrow, a day before the game is released in the UK. Well you could argue that practically it's same day seeing as the Steam servers unlock at midnight on 23rd.

13. WolfmanNCSU

WolfmanNCSU Chieftain

I'm glad someone feels my pain. I've been complaining (more like whining) to my wife all day yesterday when 1. I did not have my copy of the game yet, 2. I have no details on when I will get it nor the pre-order info, and 3. I won't have the Babylon civ once I do get it. I probably won't even play as the Babylon, but it's just the point. To make things worse, it is actually her side of the family that did the gifting. Sigh. My wife knows better, she would have done it right.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that when DLC is released later this year they will include Babylon for us poor souls who let family purchase the game.

14. WolfmanNCSU

WolfmanNCSU Chieftain

Got home after work to find that my gift still hasn't arrived. Must withhold from purchasing...

15. BubbaYeti

BubbaYeti Warlord

that sucks...hold on a bit longer...mine was sitting on my porch when I came home from work yesterday.

(also from north carolina)

16. Dearmad

Dearmad Dead weight

wow you are patient, dude. I'd be in tears. Oh well, back to playing Civ V.

17. WolfmanNCSU

WolfmanNCSU Chieftain

Trust me, it's not easy. If there was a way I could just purchase the digital download and return the physical media from Amazon after it arrives, I would be all on it. Problem is, I was not the purchaser on the Amazon side. If anyone has ideas, I am open to them.

-----Edit-----

Would I be able to return the Amazon copy unopened to Best Buy for store credit to be used for another game in the future?

18. WolfmanNCSU

WolfmanNCSU Chieftain

Final update...

Got a call from the in-laws, the Amazon order was "messed up" so I received the green light to start the digital download. Woohoo! Civ5 here I come (with Babylon)!