Ambushing the AI

Henry_X

Warlord
Regent, vanilla Civ3.

I was in a war with 2 civs on another continent , on each side of my continent I had a city near my capitol with only one spearmen, but outside that City I had knights , catapults , ...

The AI always landed near one of those 2 cities , because they thought it to be an easy target. Even worse, at a certain point a ship comming form the east went all around my continent to land on the west coast, because I had put troops to heal in the "ambush city" on the east coast. I didn't really like that, but it was so easy to keep him landing in the trap

Small question, do you have the impression to that in PTW all civ's seem to be more aggresive ? Demanding stuff early on and always declaring war if you don't give it.

I am not certain of that. It does seem that they are more likely to declare war on you if you don't give them what they want and it does seem that they demand stuff more often. I just started playing on Emperor a little bit, though, so that may have something to do with it on my end.

I never, ever give those punks stuff when they demand. That's not strategically sound, but I would rather fight to the death than get bullied around.

It seems to me, befor I installed PTW, I could refuse more often without the declaration of war.

I refuse to give in too, but that's why I still play regent. And even then I only sometimes win. But I read some articles here and I'm emproving:)

BTW: In a current game I tricked the AI again once or twice. Maybe on higher difficulty levels it doesn't work.

I love to use trap to get adventage, it could be ocupying 2 mountain each side of a plain tile and let a.i. pass through this death gate, or using privateer to lure their navy into my battlshipe -destroyer combo. Or like you describe, let a city undefended but with a nice stack of fast units close by.

A.i. have the ability to know everything on the map but we have intelligence to lure them where we want.

When i declare war on 1 a.i., i always wait for their first strike ( where i choose on which tile the fight will be ) and then counter attack after their main force is vanish.

deity... ur in about 2000BC... the AI demands something, nothing beig only like 20% of ur treasury and sometimes a luxury...

Ill be brave and not accept... w0w, soon an army 3times the size of mine ends up on my borders... :p

isnt that easy on harder levels

Top Bottom