1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Amenities and Trading Luxury Resources

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by zarakand, Nov 7, 2016.

1. zarakand

zarakand Prince

I'm a bit confused as to how amenities and luxury resources work. I know one luxury resource can provide something like 4 amenity (1 to each city). If I have 2 of the same luxury resource and 8 cities, does each city then automaticlaly have 1 amenity? If I trade the resource do 4 of the cities go down 1 amenity?

The city details screen doesn't tell me which luxury resource is providing the amenity and I'd like to have some more information so I can trade.

2. narmox

narmox Emperor

Despite that it was the way initially that luxury->amenity was explained (each source provides 4 amenities), it does seem like in the end, each _distinct_ luxury provides 4 amenities. Extra copies only provide trade opportunities with other Civs and no extra amenity.

3. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

One luxury can be used for amenities. Any additional luxuries of the same type can be used for trade.

Do not underestimate the value of this trade luxury unless you are a warmonger. As a warmonger it is of little use.

If you do not start wars then giving someone a good deal on a luxury can stop them attacking you and even encourage them to focus on someone else.

4. zarakand

zarakand Prince

Okay that's good to know I've been refusing all trade deals lately because many of my cities have negative amenities, but couldn't find an in game explanation of which luxuries were impacting what.

5. bladex

bladex Emperor

that is pretty much impossible to do AI will attack you as soon as they see you. and trading with them is pointless too in the end they will betray and stab you in the back with surprise wars even if your trading with them. and don't ever open your borders to them especially TED!

6. narmox

narmox Emperor

My experience matches Victoria's.

7. bladex

bladex Emperor

if you do not start wars...is pretty much impossible. you don't need to start wars the AI will start it for you!

8. zarakand

zarakand Prince

So basically 1 unique luxury equals 1 amenity in about 4 cities. Multiples of that luxury won't assist in amenities, but can be used for trade.

9. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Correct!

Oh and for you people who think the diplomacy does not work.... Try not going near their border, try not doing/or do do what they like, change government if you have to but it all works pretty well if you know what the modifiers roughly are... its the hidden agenda that can surprise you but in my experience the going near borders that seems to tip those last few points over the edge.

I wrote what happened last night in a game in another post and CBA posting here but in essence completely manipulated everyone.

10. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Oh really? I thought multiple couples provided for 4 cities each.

11. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

<sigh> 1 unique luxury = 4 Amenities. 2 copies of a luxury = 4 Amenities. 6 copies of a luxury = 4 Amenities. Infinite number of copies of a luxury = 4 Amenities. You never get more than 4 Amenities from a given kind of luxury, unless you are playing as Aztecs (6 Amenities) or you obtain one of the special luxuries from certain Great Merchants (e.g., cosmetics = 6 Amenities).

See http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/amenity-guide.602364/

12. Karmah

Karmah King Supporter

~So additional copies does not allow for more cities to benefit , you are sure of that ?

13. Browd

Absolutely sure. Before the game was released, the community convinced itself (on no evidence, just sheer desire) that additional copies of luxuries could be used as a crutch to support essentially endless spam of small cities. The community got that one utterly wrong.

14. Larsenex

Larsenex King

Browd is correct. I will say one thing that can help everyone. When expanding out, set your cities to 'no food production' and also on production checked. This will stop the cities from growing. If they are kept small they will not require any amenities (if they are below size 3) and fewer if locked at a lower size.

Remember, production power is not based on size. A size 2 city locked at size 2 is just at productive building units as a size 20 but does not require ANY amenities! Depending on civ this can be good or bad. As Germans you can get your industrial sect for free and get an extra district. So a a German city (size 2) can have 3 districts (including industrial one), and never need amenities! Thus specialization is very big!

15. RealHuhn

RealHuhn Emperor

I always improve my first luxury as soon as I can and sell it for either 130 or 135 gold, depends on the AI. You can use it to rush buy a settler, for example (320 gold). From my experience, even fair trading can definitely boost your relationships. And more amenities are nice to have for the boost to non-food yields.
    It's true, at the beginning we all believed that 2 copies are beneficial for 8 cities but it doesn't seem to be the case. So I think you should try and trade or sell copies like in CIV5.

narmox and valamas like this.
  16. sidiust

sidiust Chieftain

Is there any way to see all the luxuries that I'm importing? I've noticed the AI sometimes offers trades of luxuries that I already have, and I don't want to fall for their 'salesmanship'. :nono:

17. Browd

Sadly, that functionality is not in the game, but it is an often requested item for a patch.

sidiust likes this.