Amenity Guide

[Vanilla] Amenity Guide

Iron Angel

Classified
Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent summary.

I think they need to improve the bonuses from surplus amenities and increase the penalties from too few, as it is currently they're pretty ignore-able and mostly take care of themselves.

Is there any data on the war wariness effect on negative amenities - how much if accrued per turn etc?

And is the number of amenities required tied with population?

So you are saying that any extra copies of any given luxury is doing nothing to help my citizens?

Is this verified?
And if so, is this intended?
Didn't they say in the live stream a couple of weeks ago that 2 copies would give amenities to up to 8 different cities and it's the third copy and above that are wasted?

Is this verified?
And if so, is this intended?
Didn't they say in the live stream a couple of weeks ago that 2 copies would give amenities to up to 8 different cities and it's the third copy and above that are wasted?

I thought so too, but bite, our dear moderator, confirmed that was not the case. Extra copies are only good for trade, nothing more.

I've always go after Zanzibar and/or Buenos Aires whenever I meet them after finding out extra copies wont provide amenities to your next set of 4 cities

Are there any Amenity bonuses/penalties by difficulty level? I don't plan on going above Prince.

I agree, it is weird.
One or two copies of a strategic differ, and I'm pretty sure they mentioned on one of the live streams that two copies would cover 8 cities so this seems to be more of an oversight and not intended behavior.

On the other hand it doesn't really matter imo, luxuries are only important before you get zoos and stadiums up and there seem to be enough uniques to go around, might have to change a policy or two after building neighborhoods to keep you covered.

It makes absolutely no sense to introduce a mechanic where 1 resource is only enough for 4 cities and not make a second copy affect another 4 cities.

It makes a lot of sense, it's one of the few drawbacks of expanding too fast. If you have more than one copy you can always try to trade them away or gift them.

It makes a lot of sense, it's one of the few drawbacks of expanding too fast. If you have more than one copy you can always try to trade them away or gift them.

That's not an explanation of it making sense. I'm the first one thinking that gameplay should be more important than real lfe sense. But you can balance expansion happiness in so many ways.
If I get a gem resource, and it only benefits 4 cities, I see no way of logically understaning that another gem wouldnt benefit another 4 cities. You could make it only affect cities up to some range, or only the city working it and cities with a traderoute with that city. That would make sense for example.

I like the way it is, even if it makes no sense.

Amenities are extremely easy to keep > 0. and even if it drops below zero, the negatives are pretty small, being the whole game on war and neglecting amenities while grabbing a lot of cities is the only way I managed to get somewhat close of unrest.
And that is with luxury giving no extra amenities for repeated copies only.

If you make every extra copy give amenities for >4 cities, I think I would never build an entertainment complex again. Currently entertainment complex are a must have if you want to war everyone, I like that.

I like the way it is, even if it makes no sense.

Amenities are extremely easy to keep > 0. and even if it drops below zero, the negatives are pretty small, being the whole game on war and neglecting amenities while grabbing a lot of cities is the only way I managed to get somewhat close of unrest.
And that is with luxury giving no extra amenities for repeated copies only.

If you make every extra copy give amenities for >4 cities, I think I would never build an entertainment complex again. Currently entertainment complex are a must have if you want to war everyone, I like that.

You are just seeing it easy vs hard, and thats not it. Like I said, I dont want it easier. I'm not having real problems with amenities at all. Housing is much mroe restrictive IMO. But I think the mechanic is quite bad. With the new rule of only affecting 4 cities, it's just obvious that another one should affect another 4.

I would say, either remove the new rule, or make more resources affect more cities. And then you can add another amenity restriction like just needing more the more cities you have or something more complicated like needing traderoutes to share them.

I'm finding amenities pretty easy to ignore in my games. I just hook up whatever luxuries are around and that's typically enough.

I don't see why they couldn't have designed it so every copy of a luxury resource was useful (if you had enough cities).

I don't dislike the fact that a luxury ressource is only sufficient for 4 cities but do find it hard to understand how those ressources/corresponding amenities are dispatched among my cities.
In my current game I have 6 cities, ranging from size 4 to 12 for my capital.
I have 3 different luxuries, 1 of them with 2 exemplaries.
My city 4 size got +3 amenities and therefore was happy, but my capital only had 1 amenity and was unhappy !
My other cities had also 2 or 3 amenities and were happy or not depending on that figure and their size.
In another term it is a big mess !
Do you know if there is a way to allocate your luxuries ?
And based on all of that it's difficult to figure out if you can afford to sell 1 of your multiple exemplary luxury to another civ.
So in the end the way it was in CivV is easier and I would prefer back to 1 luxury for all city.

Thanks for this, Amenities is one system I just can't seem to wrap my head around

Agreed, the current rule is counter intuitive. Allowing additional copies of a luxury to provide benefit can easily be balanced in other ways. Just dear god, if they go that route make it clear in the Trading screen how many copies you are using yourself!

Thanks for this. I also think that having multiple copies of a luxury should still benefit more cities.

When I heard from the devs that the game will be allocating the luxuries for you, I immediately thought this will be an issue. I mean, do we really trust this game to do anything for us? .. Even if it is doing a great job at it, I think allowing the user to manually allocate the luxuries will provide a better experience to the user. In fact, I think a luxuries allocation screen would have allowed us to understand how the luxuries system works better and faster. Of course, people who don't want to bother with it can just leave it be, this is exactly like the citizen management screen.

Sources you are missing

Districts:
Entertainment complex provides 1 amenity to the city
Brazils UD Carnival provides 2 amenities

Project
Brazils carnival project gives the city 1 amenity while it is being produced

Great Persons:
There are some Great engineers that give amenities to the city they are popped in

Top Bottom