Amenity Guide

[Vanilla] Amenity Guide

Four Suggestions to help on the Amenity issues.
1. If you are unable to trade surplus Luxury resources (2nd or 3rd unit), then you should receive some decreasing Amenity value
for it.
2nd unit = +3
3rd unit= +2
2. There should be some connection between Entertainment district/Art Museums/Ampitheatres with Great Works.
The Met, Chicago Art Institute all are considered Entertainment Amenities beyond their tourism value.
3. Just like there are Archaeologist units to extract Relics. There should be some kind of resource extender unit to mine/retrieve resources more than 3 spaces away. Maybe the process is not instant, maybe it takes some turnsto extract. Maybe it's limited in duration. Or it costs a trader to keep going. Some mechanic where it costs moreresources.
4. Make sure every map has at least one copy of each amenity. My current map is missing almost half of them.

Last edited:
Is there any data on the war wariness effect on negative amenities - how much if accrued per turn etc?

And is the number of amenities required tied with population?

I don't know if there is any data on the war weariness effect on negative amenities. Sorry.
The number of amenities required is indeed tied in with the population.

1 Amenity is required for each 2 population. This starts counting from 3 population, though.
So for 3 population you need 1 Amenity, for 5 population, 2 Amenity is needed. At 7 population you need 3 Amenity and so on. Did that make sense?

I have added a screenshot from one of my saves. This clearly shows you how the population is tied into the Amenities.
The green box is my population in the different cities. The red box shows you how many amenities I need to keep that specific city Content. In other words, that what it takes to have it sit at neutral. 1 Amenity for each 2 population, remember?

City status.png

Are there any Amenity bonuses/penalties by difficulty level? I don't plan on going above Prince.

No. The bonuses and penalties are the same, as far as I know.

My city 4 size got +3 amenities and therefore was happy, but my capital only had 1 amenity and was unhappy !
My other cities had also 2 or 3 amenities and were happy or not depending on that figure and their size.
In another term it is a big mess !
Do you know if there is a way to allocate your luxuries ?

First off. No, you can't allocate your luxuries. The game handles that part. This is the system that is deciding which ones of your cities that needs the new Amenities the most.
For the other part of your question, see my above repsonse to 'Sovarn'.

Sources you are missing

Districts:
Entertainment complex provides 1 amenity to the city
Brazils UD Carnival provides 2 amenities

Project
Brazils carnival project gives the city 1 amenity while it is being produced

Great Persons:
There are some Great engineers that give amenities to the city they are popped in

Thanks! You are absolutely right. That was a miss from my side.
I had also overlooked a few engineers completely. Thanks for pointing it out. Will add it to the main post.

I have added a screenshot from one of my saves. This clearly shows you how the population is tied into the Amenities.
The green box is my population in the different cities. The red box shows you how many amenities I need to keep that specific city Content. In other words, that what it takes to have it sit at neutral. 1 Amenity for each 2 population, remember?

View attachment 456745

How do you get that box?

Thanks, only 1 that give benefits make sense, as before I had no idea what I got or needed. Now with first copy only give 4 much easier to know when to trade etc

Oh! I keep forgetting about that button! Thanks!

You are most welcome!

Thanks, only 1 that give benefits make sense, as before I had no idea what I got or needed. Now with first copy only give 4 much easier to know when to trade etc

Yes. There are a lot of people that are confused/don't understand fully how the system functions. Is why I wanted to try and get most if not all information we have on it into one guide.

Now I shall get me a beer and continue having a blast in CivVI. Hope you are having fun to!

I've done some more testing and added some smaller clarification information.

Added:
1 copy of a Luxury only extends to 4 different cities. If you acquire a second copy of the same Luxury, it will not affect the +Amenities in your 4 cities, nor will it extend to the 5th city you found. The second copy does however trigger trade requests from the AI, wanting to buy your extra copy.

Extra resource trade.png

Intended or not, I have done tests on this, and this is how it works. At least right now.

Your city does not need any Amenities to stay Content, until it reaches 3 Population (see the image below). The capital starts with +1 Amenity from Entertainment. This is not the case for any other cities you found after that.

3pop amenity demand.png

This article is really helpful and needs to be enshrined in an Academy or some such.

Added two tweets with confirmation from the developers that I am correct.

Dev confirm1.png Dev confirm2.png

I've now run two civ's into the ground because I can't keep up with amenities.
I've built entertainment complex's in all cities and built up the buildings, but still find myself always lacking.
I can only trade for luxury resources so much before the other leaders are robbing me blind to buy even just 1 extra luxury resource.
And I'm playing on the easiest level.

How can I keep a constant flow of amenities, what am I missing?

I've now run two civ's into the ground because I can't keep up with amenities.
I've built entertainment complex's in all cities and built up the buildings, but still find myself always lacking.
I can only trade for luxury resources so much before the other leaders are robbing me blind to buy even just 1 extra luxury resource.
And I'm playing on the easiest level.

How can I keep a constant flow of amenities, what am I missing?

Are you rushing out new cities? That will take it's toll on your resources.
Are you warring a lot? War weariness will decrease your amenity.

Try going for the city states that will benefit you, amenity-wise. Buenos Aires will make your strategic resources (iron, niter etc.) to function as luxury resources, giving you +1 Amenity.
Zanzibar has two unique luxury resources (Cinnamon and Clover) which each gives +6 Amenities.

I'm not rushing or warring unless being attacked, I'm playing pretty conservatively even picking Montezuma as my leader to give me bonus amenities.
It just seems that populations keep growing but luxury resources and buildings to build in entertainment districts do not.
Other world leaders are too unfair with trading even when on good terms.
I just don't see how amenities can keep up with population growth.

And you are making sure to have different types of luxuries? Remember that it is only the first copy of an luxury that will give you +Amenity.
I assume that you are building mines on diamonds, plantation on spices and so on? I never really struggle with amenity.

Could you provide me with a screenshot of your 'City Status Report'? (View Reports at the top of the screen.)

I cannot, I've already trashed my other games, was just about to start my 3rd try.
But I do appreciate your feedback, from your advice I don't think I'm missing anything, just maybe have to try a few different tweaks.
Maybe start my first city on a more varied luxury resource spot and cross my fingers.
But end-game seems like it would be a problem as your almost always in constant war trying to conquer, it would seem war fatigue would kill you first.
Thank you.

No worries. Don't hesitate to ask if you still struggle on the third try.
There are policies which will lower the war weariness when in war.

'Defense of the Motherland' - No war weariness from combat in your territory. Civic: Class Struggle

'Martial Law' - Accumulate 25% less war weariness than usual. Civic: Totalitarianism

'Propaganda' - Accumulate 25% less war weariness than usual. Civic: Mass Media

'Retainers' - +1 Amenity for cities with a garrisoned unit. Propaganda will overwrite this one. Civic: Civil Service

There may be more, not checked all.

It makes absolutely no sense to introduce a mechanic where 1 resource is only enough for 4 cities and not make a second copy affect another 4 cities.
You mean compared to civ5 where a single luxury was good for 1 city before policies ?

For Aztecs, luxuries will provide amenities to 6 cities instead of the usual 4.

Top Bottom