America 115x150

Knopfdruckoffz

Chieftain
Hello,

i created a huge America map, for the later use in a conquest/colonization scenario ill start to make.

i copied and doubled resources from GEM map, so it was done quick and dirty and they are pretty unbalanced.
i plan to completely rework the resources to fit an American only map.

i'm not fully happy about every detail on the map yet, so suggestions for improvements are welcome! some lakes in south america are also still missing.
you may notice that labrador is smaller then in real because i wanted a connection for the hudson bay area.
parts of Mississippi, Amazon and St.Lorenz are navigable.

the map seems pretty big but about 70% of the tiles are water, so it will fit for a game with 18 teams really good, but the distances could be very far sometimes.

the map is based on the Goode homolosine projection i've picked because it offers the best solution for a less distorted map of america from north and south in my eyes.

Overview:

North America:
Spoiler :

Central America:
Spoiler :

South America North:
Spoiler :

South America South:
Spoiler :

PS. i did such a map for civ3 before here is a link to the old post of my old account: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=105032

Attachments

• America v0.1 (Knopfdruckoffizier).zip
    59.1 KB · Views: 913
i did some playtesting, and civs starting in grasslands got a big drawback due to lack of production
civs do well especially when starting in the north east of south america or in the south of the great plains in north america, while others got stuck with 1-3 cities.
in civ3 there was bonus grassland with a production bonus to overcome this, but this isnt available in civ4, so i think i have to add some plains to grassland areas
also there is still too much of jungle and forest in some areas, especially when there is only grassland around.

suggestions are welcome!

This map is probably the best i've seen so far, however I see the horse resource dotted everywhere, remember horses weren't introduced in america for ages, if you are gonna use them, try putting them where it mosts likely colonists would have landed and introduced them.

I like the map, I just kinda don't like the fact that you can't cross the Miss. River in certain points, I know technically you can't get across it without some form of boat, but in civ terms you shouldn't need a boat that large to do it, you can cross in a canoe easily.

Top Bottom