1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

America and Democracy

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by AnotherPacifist, Dec 1, 2007.

?

Should America start with Democracy

1. Yes, since democracy is the hallmark of the American Dream

59.0%
  2. No, we all like police states and theocracies

41.0%
  1. Ryry

Ryry Chieftain

Historically America started as a democracy.... though not as what we would consider a fair democracy today. Basically, white men with land could vote. But I think that still makes a strong arguement for starting with democracy as it would be historical IMHO.

As for gameplay, I think it would be OK for that too. The Statue of Liberty was completed in 1880 something if I remember. So you would be able to complete it early compared to history, BUT as someone already said it would help make it possible to get to the pentagon.

I am playing America now, and I got the Statue built (with the help of an Engineer), but it looks like I will miss the Pentagon. I get bogged down in war with England/France/Spain to clear out their colonies, and the Euros get way ahead in tech. Meanwhile I am whipping out units cause I got French infantry to deal with with Riflemen and Cannons. Oh, and now the Spanish have destroyers. Meaning banks/markets/libraries etc.... all take a back seat. Result: bad economy and bad research.

Anyway....

Ryry

2. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

just wanted to remind everyone that a democracy and a democratic republic are quite different.

3. kairob

kairob Biohazard

I agree with onedreamer, and a "democracy" isn't necessarily the same as "universal suffrage" i.e. all races and both genders.

4. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

Exactly. Case in point would be Athens. Close to a 'perfect democracy' as long as you were a male citizen. Rome on the other hand was an oligarchic republic with some democratic elements.

5. sdLeo

sdLeo Cosmopolitan

That you're a communist? That Iran must be bombed? That you should stop writing here and go Christmas shopping (aren't you done shopping yet? Bad American)

Come on, the Republicans are right-wing. The Democrats are right of center. There's no centre or left in US politics.

6. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

Might as well say there's no mainstream right (or libertarian for that matter) force in European politics. Most 'right' parties here support the welfare state frx.

7. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

exactly. America didn't have universal suffrage at its beginning (ie: democracy tech ingame). It had a constitution with civil rights etc. This means Constitution tech ingame terms.

8. sdLeo

sdLeo Cosmopolitan

I wouldn't disagree with that :lol: