America post R&F

NukeAJS

King
I haven't played America in a long time. I remember their film studio can be absolutely amazing. However, with the new expansion, their UA was changed to all diplomatic card slots are converted to wildcard slots.

So, without going on a huge tangent ... how good is this?

My initial thoughts are that governments with more diplomacy slots are obviously better but that only really applies to democracy (With 2) and autocracy (with zero). Also, the Potala Palace makes sense. If you could get the Forbidden City, Potala Palace, and a democratic government -- that'd equal 6 wildcard slots. That pretty much allows you to field any kind of play style you want and completely switch up practically whenever you want.

So, to me, it seems like America's biggest strength (besides the film studio) is to be able to have a "peaceful" government but have enough wildcard slots to run military policies when you want to stomp people.

Of course, America's greatest weakness is that practically all their goodies come in the late game -- rough riders, national parks, films studios (I will not even mention the Mustang). The only exception is fighting better on their home continent, which makes a huge difference in the early game -- especially at high difficulties where your disadvantages in combat can be cancelled out.

Am I missing anything? Does anyone have any advice or something else to add?

The Mustang must be one of the least useful UUs, except in MP. Since the AI generally doesn't field air units, fighters have very limited use; much better to build bombers.

The Mustang must be one of the least useful UUs, except in MP. Since the AI generally doesn't field air units, fighters have very limited use; much better to build bombers.

Generally, getting the era score bonus from your unique unit is also better earlier in the game, assuming an ancient age start.

If you try a later age start, America would be much better.

Generally, getting the era score bonus from your unique unit is also better earlier in the game, assuming an ancient age start.

If you try a later age start, America would be much better.

Is it though?

From my experience majority of my Era Score comes from buildings various Wonders rather than the in-game Dedications. But that could just be my playstyle.

Is it though?

From my experience majority of my Era Score comes from buildings various Wonders rather than the in-game Dedications. But that could just be my playstyle.

Ah. I should clarify my comment.

Assuming a Deity game (probably Immortal as well), it is difficult to get enough era score in the Ancient Era to earn a Golden Age. Having a unique unit / unique structure that becomes available in the ancient era makes it easier to manage whether you have a Dark/Normal/Golden Classical Era.

More generally, the earlier your unique unit becomes available, the more opportunities you have to time the construction of your first unit to get the era score when you need it. A late game UU like America's offers less flexibility than UU's that are available earlier.

Top Bottom