1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

America: Y ur peeps b so dum?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by FriendlyFire, Mar 24, 2011.

1. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I don't know what this is all about, but anti-intellectualism is kinda in right now, at least in the U.S.

2. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    My response to this thread:

3. Miles Teg

Miles Teg Nuclear Powered Mentat

Yup. Unlike some of the more right-wing commentators, I don't deny the existence of many of the problems raised. What I find disgusting is how the author ignores the fact that almost none of these problems are specific to Modern America, and most of them date back to the Industrial Revolution, if not even further back. Of course, he's also ignoring the sins of previous generations that we've shook off, but that's typical of the genre.

The fact is, there's always going to be a large number of stupid people. As long as they have rights and leisure time, they're going to consume bad culture and make bad political choices. If that's not acceptable, the only option is to go back to a time where the majority of stupid people were too occupied with backbreaking sustenance agriculture to bother the privileged minority. Personally, I'm willing to put up with Sarah Palin and Paris Hilton if it means living in a post-medieval society, but that's just me.

In general, I feel that if you're going to be misanthropic and bitter, you should at least dispense with the fiction that people only became stupid and shortsighted in the last 30 or 50 or 100 or 2000 years.

4. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

The problem is that ignorance and lack of a proper education is growing in this country while it is shrinking in the rest of the civilized world. That one major political party now actually finds higher education to be "elitist" because it typically produces more people who are apt to vote for the other party. That the effects of propaganda are usually countered by a solid education which teaches people to think critically and for themselves. That we continue to elect political leaders who are clearly unqualified.

As people do better, they start voting like Republicans - unless they have too much education and vote Democratic, which proves there can be too much of a good thing. Karl Rove

5. Miles Teg

The problem is that a large number of internet people are rightly concerned with the Republican Party in America, but seem to think that the actual, honest to god Fascist parties in Europe are harmless diversion

6. Formaldehyde

I think it is largely a matter of numbers. WWII finally convinced most undereducated Europeans that the authoritarian far-right could be a danger to their own health. OTOH most undereducated Americans now apparently think the Nazis were leftists.

7. Patroklos

Patroklos Deity

Has anyone noticed how people producing these types of articles never claim that they suffer from any of these faults that are so glaring to them. Its always THOSE people, but never them. They are the lone voice of reason in a sea of idiots.

There is a word for people like that.

8. Rashiminos

Rashiminos Fool Prophet

Thank goodness for this post. I was confused by the inclusive plural nouns like we, us, and our.

9. Miles Teg

Considering that Europeans are actually supporting Fascist parties in alarming numbers, I would say that they haven't learned all that much.

10. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

That comes down to how you define 'Fascist'. The UKIP/BNP are the more 'fascist' parties in the UK and IIRC, the BNP only just made it in to Parliament which demonstrates a small following.
    The French may have that one party (the names escapes me), but I remember from a Newsweek article their currently leader is moving away from the fascist tendencies to bog standard reactionary populism.
    So no, I don't really see more people in Europe joining 'fascist' parties.

11. Formaldehyde

Which countries are that? The BNP in GB is certainly no threat outside of a handful of local elections.

12. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

:goodjob: good point :lol:

13. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

I've said it many time before: I don't believe for a minute the US has significantly more idiots than any country. It just seems that US idiots are uniquely convinced of their righteousness and are far more vocal than your averge idiot and as a result make the US look like a nation of idiots, which it isn't.

14. UnendingRequiem

UnendingRequiem Chieftain

The top 12 colleges in the world are all in the United States.

15. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Plus a bunch of them have actually managed to get elected to high office... somehow.

16. amadeus

amadeus Bring back the Civ2 theme!

Percent of people ages 25-64 with university degrees:

Australia: 24.1
    U.S.: 30.9

Nobel prizes in the sciences (excluding economics) per 10 million people, 1945-2009:

Australia: 5.5
    U.S.: 9.8

Problem, FriendlyFire?

17. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

I'm a Heartland American(tm) and I am mightily offended. USA#1

18. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

How is the UKIP fascist? C'mon amuse me.

UKIP is a anti-EU pressure group on the Torys at most. Every other policy is insignificant.

The BNP got into the EUROPEAN parliment not the British one.

19. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I wasn't saying they were fascist, but if you had to pick a group that fit closest with fascist tendencies it would be them even if the similarities are minor.

In many ways you proved my point that the 'most fascist' party I can think of in the UK isn't even fascist.

20. Miles Teg

In Austria, we have the FPO and the BZO, of whom the BZO is the more right-wing. They have about a quarter of the seats in Parliament between them. Over in the Netherlands, Geert Wilder's merry band has about 15% of the the Parliamental seats, and it looked like he was actually going to become part of the ruling coalition for a little bit there. In Denmark, the DF is about where it is in the Netherlands. Third biggest party, with about 15% of the seats.

And the BNP actually has 2 seats in the European Parliament. Granted, that's not the most powerful body in the world, but it's still scary.