1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

American cities in Russian

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Omega124, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

They are still not transliterations, but different orthographic versions of the same name. You can't do the same for Russian (or Japanese, Chinese, Egyptian, Quechua ...) city names, unless you want them to be written in kyrillic.

2. Jarlaxe Baenre

Jarlaxe Baenre Emperor

I know. I can speak about 30 words in Russian and have a Russian Alphabet Key (From a schoolmate who taught me some Russian a few years ago)

3. killerkebab

killerkebab Prince

Why don't you guys stop arguing about what the Russian names should look like, whether they should be transliterated or whatever. Here's a great idea:

http://maps.yandex.ru/

There. Its an interactive map of the entire world in Russian for Russians. It has one great feature: you can search city names in English and the map will take you to the right place... and then you get the Russian name. Neat.

4. Sikandar

Sikandar Prince

5. killerkebab

killerkebab Prince

6. Sikandar

Sikandar Prince

Unfortunately not.

7. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

Konstantinoupolis is Greek not Russian. It isn't an error.
    Helsinki is clearly not Russian so it's as wrong as Helsingfors. A Russian version would never start with a "H".

What's that supposed to mean ? Do you mean that writing Brus Uillis instead of Bruce Willis as Russians do is a bigger difference than that between Venecia and Venetia ? I find more difference in the second. And anyways, even if it's a small difference, why not implementing it when it's known ? If Beograd doesn't change to Belgrad when owned by Russians it's only because whoever made the city maps wasn't aware of it, not because it's a smaller difference than the various versions of Venice.

8. TimeShifter

TimeShifter Chieftain

Are you telling me that? :D
    Ok, it's better to use Khelsinki.

But why it is Russian name for Constantinopolis in RFC?

Nope, it changes TO Beograd when you capture/build it as Russia.

If you can't understand (I see you can't) - don't even try :D
    I was just saying that not all dynamic names are translations, if it was so, we could get stupid versions like Novyj Jork for New York.

9. killerkebab

killerkebab Prince

I think you've missed his point completely. Also, check his location ;)

10. corovanrobber

corovanrobber King

Here is a good one.

Attached Files:

11. Brew

Brew Warlord

I would love to download this; I always add independent Kievan Rus' and a productive Mumbai in the WB since I don't know how to mod. This would save me the hassle, and I'm very interested to see your other changes; I always thought the Carribean needed tweaking. Please upload. Thanks!

12. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

I am telling you that because it was you to write the wrong name.

It isn't. You say it is, heh... there's a difference between what you claim and reality.

Again, it is Beograd instead of Belgrad because the author was unaware. Why don't you just report it in the cosmetic errors thread instead of this thread which isn't related and with a blatantly wrong attitude ?

You don't understand the difference between translation and transliteration and the concept of dynamic names which isn't related specifically to any of the two. Given this, I don't see why should you accuse me to not understand something.

13. nody

nody Emperor

I see Russian and Italian 'temperament' together is a dangerous mix... ;)

14. TimeShifter

TimeShifter Chieftain

*facepalm*
    Code:
                    elif (iNewOwner == iRussia): 
                            elif (sName == 'Byzantion' or sName == 'Miklagard' or sName == 'Bizantiya' or sName == 'Constantinopolis' or sName == 'Qustantiniyah' or sName == 'Konstantinopel'):
                                    city.setName('Konstantinoupolis', False) #replace with proper Russian name
    ----------
    ...that was fixed in the next post after mine. Why repeat?
    Also Helsinki isn't that wrong. "Х" can sound like "h" or "kh".
    ----------
    I see you misunderstood this
    part. You can't understand my position properly because I just can't write it properly in english. Also that's what
    I was saying. And I understand difference between translation & transliteration.
    Новый => Novyj = Transliteration
    Новый => New = Translation
    That's obvious.
    ----------
    I once had arguing thread 60 58 pages long :D I don't think we should continue. At least not in this thread

15. nody

nody Emperor

Maybe it's just a stereotype, but where I come from people say Russians and Italians are the most 'emotionally dramatical' Europeans.

This thread gives a good example... ;)

16. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

You facepalm ? Again... that name is a placeholder. It's the same issue as Beograd/Belgrad. There's a thread to report these cosmetic issues and to make suggestions.

Konstantinoupolis -> Istanbul (Turk) -> Konstantinopol (Russian & others)

Istanbul is neither a transliteration nor a translation of "Konstantinoupolis".
    Konstantinopol is neither a transliteration nor a translation of "Konstantinoupolis".
    Dynamic names are neither a transliteration nor a translation. They are geographical names written in different languages. In case that language doesn't use the roman alphabet, then there is also a transliteration (which in case of Russian is often wrong or incorrect).

17. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

stereotype, ditto. But I must say I found Russian people to be the most alike to Italians :D

18. TimeShifter

TimeShifter Chieftain

I know (please don't repeat it again :D), I was replying to
    ;) It is Konstantinoupolis, even if it is placeholder.

19. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

You even both have perfect democrats with full control over the media as heads of state ;)

20. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

and they are friends from years !

Well in my book a placeholder serves only a purpouse: to place something that is definitely NOT what I want somewhere. This said, that's not the name of Istanbul in Russian. If you have other interpretations for that word I'm a bit puzzled: language was invented to allow communication between human beings.