American Civil War 2005!

i would agree a rigged election and a split in the country would cause the president to start issueing executive orders anyways which essentially make him a dictator of some type (prolly fascist but i would have to think about it)...

universal suffrage should be made a small wonder and then given to everyone if it is given at all...i dont really think it needs to be included period as it is pretty much a given

as far as techs go...some ideas...
1. reactive armor
2. RPG level 2 (or sumthing needs a better name but the idea is there)
3. Vertical take off and landing
4. satellites
5. military weapons satellites??
6. anti missile defense systems
7. Full body infantry suit (future tech of sum type)
8. Naval armor improvement (of some type)
9. Naval Guns and weaponry improvement (sumthing)
10. Naval Speed enhancements (this and last 2 bring next tech)
11. Modern Navy Generation II (opens up upgrades to everything naval)
12. Economic stability (reflecting the economic upheaval that would occur in this situation restabilizing)
13. Neo-Fascist (gov tech that would reflect a possible american version of this gov)
14. Artillery Rocketry (would open up MLRS type units and make available a new artillery piece capable of firing farther at expense of damage)
15. Army Reformation (possibly allowing some military improvements and wonders like CENTCOM and artillery training schools to be built...things like that)

thats all i got for now...im sure ill come up with more later

Bobby Lee said:
i would agree a rigged election and a split in the country would cause the president to start issueing executive orders anyways which essentially make him a dictator of some type (prolly fascist but i would have to think about it)...
Yes, but many would likely follow propaganda coercing them further towards the 'default path' of staying with the mainland. America isn't about fascism, it's about democracy. Even if they secretly acted as so (or or in such a way to get people to deem it as 'just'), they would still fly under the flag of democracy - heck aren't we doing this now?

Bobby Lee said:
as far as techs go...some ideas...
1. reactive armor
2. RPG level 2 (or sumthing needs a better name but the idea is there)
3. Vertical take off and landing
4. satellites
5. military weapons satellites??
6. anti missile defense systems
7. Full body infantry suit (future tech of sum type)
8. Naval armor improvement (of some type)
9. Naval Guns and weaponry improvement (sumthing)
10. Naval Speed enhancements (this and last 2 bring next tech)
11. Modern Navy Generation II (opens up upgrades to everything naval)
12. Economic stability (reflecting the economic upheaval that would occur in this situation restabilizing)
13. Neo-Fascist (gov tech that would reflect a possible american version of this gov)
14. Artillery Rocketry (would open up MLRS type units and make available a new artillery piece capable of firing farther at expense of damage)
15. Army Reformation (possibly allowing some military improvements and wonders like CENTCOM and artillery training schools to be built...things like that)

thats all i got for now...im sure ill come up with more later
Many of these are reasonable ideas for the future, however - this scenario is focusing more on the initial chaos & following (and in many ways forced) resolutions. I mean you can't argue that another country wouldn't 'jump in' eventually. This scenario is the brief period before that takes place.

Now if you want to keep going with these ideas - I'm all ears. I have thought about making a scenario that delves into the future more, many times. Since it's been done in many ways, maybe I'll make a 3rd version of this scenario that incorporates ideas like yours, but also includes other parts of the world. Kind of like the 'next chapter.'

I think that my suggestion to sourboy is what he wants to go with. Probably have a few advanced techs but if you want alot of techs make them having to do w/ geurlla warfare wich is what would most likely be occuring since everyone is in chaos and there aren't really organized armys. And if there were organized armys they'd be local like a town or such. So I think that differen't types of gerulla warfare techs would be good.

in america while guerilla warfare would be present i would think the militias would start to spring back up...

your point about keeping America as a democracy is a good one...i hadnt thought about the fact that we are not really running a true democracy or republic when i wrote that remark...

i would have to say the future is the key to this scenario..while i agree it should be a separate scenario (because the initial fighting itself is a scenario alone)...the version that carries from the beginning of the current scenario to the future is the one i think im really interested in...

as far as countries jumping in...i would think the US itself would want NATO to possibly come in and help but im not so sure that anyone would want to help the US...the fragmentation would alter the balance of power in the world back to Europe and probably specifically to something resembling pre-WWI days...with Britain at the top and Germany a second? we talk much about China but as far as thier far reaching abilities go..they are not there...China might however get involved and try take out California if this were to happen but i dont see them going much farther...and they would definately reestablish complete control over Taiwan because the US would no longer be able to prop it up...i could maybe even see a bit of a holocaust in Hong Kong taking out the dissidents there...they might even go so far as to take North Korea in hand and annex it? but that is far flung...the Middle East would go up in flames yet again...Muslim states would again attack Israel and then possibly go after the previously held US Iraq...i say previously held because the US in the event this happened would have to pull its troops out of Iraq in order to bring them home (though they might decide they are better off leaving them there for fear they would join thier home state if brought home but i think they would do that anyways)...politically the UN might or might not intervene but it wouldnt matter as prolly 90% of the UN forces ever used are US and we would most certainly not approve of such actions...in fact the UN might be sufficiently destabilized as to make them a pointless entity at least for awhile...

just sum thoughts =)

Here is a link to the thread created for the revision of this scenario. If anyone is interested in helping out in any way, please join us at the above link.

Quick question are u gonna release an update for the generic version with more accuracy/ balanced(ness)?

That's basically what this revision is for, to add units, techs (hopefully), accuracy, etc. After that, there will likely be a global expanded version that reaches further into the future. A part II, per say.

I believe that most modern armies have a least one :sniper: in them so you may want to think about putting a sniper unit in the scenario. Other than that this scenario looks very good and I can't wait to play it. :D

Regards
Sobassis

Well...heh, yeah, the new revised scenario (which is currently entering beta) will include about 50 new units. I actually made the sniper unit (see my signature for a link) just for this purpose - so, don't worry. You've got your sniper. :)

i made a scenerio like this, only mine sucked. yours looks good and i'll try it when i reinstall civ.

Sourboy i demand you comeback at once you need 2 finish the beta people want this done!

Lol, I haven't actually played the scenario yet (Looks fun though), but I think I'll point out that a very, very large precentage of the US military is A) Republican or at least conservative Democrat and B) A majority of the US military is from the American Southeast. And, on top of that, a large precentage of US military bases are in the Southeast, plus Texas. And, most of the bases in California (Tons) are full of personal who, I can easily say, wouldn't be for the ideals of a Californian country. I figure such a Civil War would be between Liberals and Conservatives with Moderates huddling in their basements. Those crazy Montana militia folks probably own way the hell more guns then certain other demographics do. The Conservatives, backed by an advanced military, could easily whoop the ass off of your local Green Party representatives ;-). I'm thinking: Make Texas with The Southeast, probably put California with the USA, and, in the spirit of those red and blue maps from CNN, bring the Southeast from Florida up to Montana. The highest Conservative to Liberal rates are in places like Idaho and Utah anywho.

Toodle-oo!

This looks like an interesting scenario; can't wait to play it once the revisions are done!

San Antonio, TX has four (!) Air Force bases. Lackland and Kelly are two of the largest in NA. I remember growing up there as a kid in the 70's scared to death the ruskies were going to hit us with ICBMs in a first strike against our strategic airfields.

Maybe you could put like 4 bombers in TX?

I played my first conquest last night. Played as Montana.

Turns 1-5: built 5 workers and began the tech quest for modern armour. Ecology is still 50 turns away. Synthetic fibers prolly the same. Built stock exchanges, factories, cathedrals, universities (temples, libraries, cathedrals cheap for Brennus.) Set the workers to build rails to the iron in the SE -- also to give access to my planned attack on West Texas. Established emabassies with TX, CA and Mex.

Turns 6-10: built BF Medicine & Intelligence Agency.
Attacked West TX with no alliances and easily took it with infantry and bombing runs from my single bomber and 2 jets. No one complains. Hmm. I needed the oil resource, but it went to California... so I rushed temple and library hoping to get some culture and the tile, but it didn’t give it to me. Still, TX did not counter attack, so I easily took Oklahoma, got my oil, made peace with some modicum of gold and revolted from Republic to Democracy.

Turns 10-20 built tanks and treasure. Looking forward to upgrading all those tanks to Modern Armor. Baja appears to be an exceedingly strategic city, as it gives access to both the Pacific and Gulf of CA. Lousiana, on the other hand, is a lousy strategic placement with no ocean access, but ripe for picking on. I take it several turns later. There is now the Convalescent Unified North Texas up top, me, Brennus, splitting the middle, and backwoods East Texas to the south. Texas is barely holding on.

Turns 20-30: lovingly destroy texas even though my heart is in Austin, and set to building indie rock and coffee shops. Er, I mean tanks. With my economy cranking out 600 GPT and science set to 60% i finally get MA. but techs still take 13-20 turns (!). NA builds internet, so I have to build research labs. A few tech trades with Cuba gets me to Rocketry, which I’ve put on the back burner; aluminum is needed for what again? but North America looks increasingly aggressive as they finally pacify the Southern States with MA of their own. California is really pissing me off. So I attack with a stack of about 30 MA (all but a few reserves), losing half (!) to their TOWs, but I take New Mexico. Arizona, Southern Cal, and Nevada. Canada, Honduras, Quebec, Jamaica, Dominica declare war on me.

Next 20-30 turns: I make peace with everyone by paying America handsomly for Mutual Protection pacts. I build my first ICBMs, but don't have SDI, so never play them out. I have stacks of 50+ MA, MI, Radar Artillary, and Stealth Bombers in every city, but never enough world opinion to get MPPs to take on North America. I have about 50 workers cleaning pollution on every turn, and my map is spotless. Canada, North America look like they just traded global thermonuclear war with all the orange pollution tiles. I can only imagine their production was down. My spies have been exceedingly poor at rolling the dice, caught at almost every mission, and I don't want to risk NA declaring war because some damn inept spy can't steal troop plans from Washington. I do get Mexico's plans and they're 20+ deep with MI in every city, but have virtually no offense.
There is a brief skirmish with Mexico to get Baja California, and I lose the city in a revolt a few turns later. Still, I am surprised this causes a world war against Mexico, probably due to my MPP with NA and some of the Carribbean countries who I've also been gifting techs and Gold.
I win on Victory Points before an all-out onslaught on Mexico... total playing time ~2:40 and it didn’t feel all too justified, espically with NA looking like they could crush me in one round. Maybe Emperor level would have been different.

Who you play as makes a huge difference, as well as what difficulty level, of course. There are a few quirks on low levels where the AI seems to sell units in order to get cash flow up. That obvioulsy leads to easy city conquering. If you want a challenge, try playing as the US or the South - as they are in a forced war, or try any of the Central America countries if you like to play as 'David.'

I plan to release an updated version in the next day or so with new units (about 50). I will be adding a revised tech tree as well (it may be edited further later). The larger map will have to wait for now.

That's cool. I'm look lookin forward 2 it.

Top Bottom