American Civil War II Scenario Development Thread

OMG that will be even funner than ACW

you are going to change the unit's movement, right?

I'm thinking Infantry most likely will remain at 1 movement, Skirmishers might be all-terrain as roads or 2 movement, Cavalry will be either 2 or 3 movement (2 if the ACW railroad way, 3 if I can do a hybrid of ACW and Civ3).

Infantry in general marched about 12-15 miles a day, on a forced march they could cover almost double that. 1 movement point preserves this realism, and keeps the tactical battles intact.

Railroads I'm still trying to decide how I want to do it, if its the ACW way then they will be most likely 1/5 of a movement point. I'm hoping though to make Railroads a hybrid between ACW and normal Civ3 railroads.

Naval movement will be drastically increased (probably tripled to quadrupled).

Cities in the Mid-Atlantic (New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, eastern Virginia), southeastern NY, along the Buffalo-Albany corridor, and New England will be heavily concentrated, to illustrate that this area in general was either highly urbanized, or has alot of Civil War significant cities (like Gettysburg and Urbana).

Cities in the South and in the Midwest will be spaced much further apart on the whole.

I'm also going to try to fit places like Shiloh, which was a very important western battle fought in 1862. Middle/southeastern Tennessee also will have more significance, with Tullahoma, Murfressboro, and Franklin possibly all in at once. As I said, the larger map is going to allow for ALOT more to be put in, enhancing realism.

With regard to Gettysburg, the following cities are near it:

Harrisburg, PA
Chambersburg, PA
York, PA
Frederick, MD
Hagerstown, MD

York and Chambersburg figured directly in the battle, while Frederick was passed through by both forces on the way up. Harrisburg was Lee's ultimate objective.

I've completed this area of the map with regard to cities now.

Also, the Shenandoah Valley will have several cities in it (not sure which yet, haven't gotten that far west into VA yet). In ACW, its just represented by Staunton and Winchester (at either end).

YOU MIGHT PUT IN M-BORO!!!

please, id love to capture my hometown

wow that post was pointless, sry

but could you post a pic of the area, Mid-Tenn i mean, i could help you there if you need me to.

Jefferson Davis was the President of the Confederacy, as well as C-in-C of the Confederate Armies until Feburary, 1865 (when Lee was given nominal command). Don't see a reason to change this.

Haven't gotten to Middle Tennessee yert, but I think I'll have room for both M-boro and Franklin (Tullahoma being present in ACW). M-boro was the jump-off point for the Tullahoma campaign conducted by Rosecrans, and there also was an important battle fought near there (Stone River I think). Franklin was one of the bloodiest battles of the Civil War, with regard to % casualties of those engaged (Bragg lost almost 1/4 of his whole army).

I'm using an MSN atlas type map, using Latitude/Longitude to place cities.

My hometown is in ACW, Akron. :) It will be present in ACW2 as well, since it was a rail junction (and near a second one, Hudson).

Shenandoah Valley will include (all in Virginia):

Winchester
Front Royal
New Market
Harrisonburg
Staunton
Romney (to the west-northwest of Winchester, technically not in the valley but apart of the campaigns there)

These are listed north to south with the exception of Romney.

Stonewall Jackson's valley campaigns will be able to be recreated. :)

Appomattox Court House was another popular request for ACW, it too will be included in ACW2.

Hanover Junction now sits between Fredricksburg and Richmond, providing another obstacle.

Hapers Ferry also is in as an actual city now.

Jumbo urban resource is looking like it will be 8 food/4 shields...as NYC is going to need it badly.

Northern VA:

The Shenandoah cities listed above.
Manassas/Alexandria
Culpeper
Fredericksburg
Gordonsville
Harpers Ferry

Its quite a crowd, and I wanted to add Warrenton but there is no room.

Suffolk was added between Norfolk and Petersburg, it was an important railway junction and was the site of a rarely known siege that lasted several months.

Blockcading the CSA is going to be much harder this go around, already added a couple new ports in the North Carolina inlets, and they are a bit tricky to get into.

Ports such as Wilmington, Charleston, and Savannah have at least 1 fort (Charleston has 2) guarding the only coast square entrance to their cities.

One thing worrying me is I'll hit the 512 city limit before I'm done. :( There are already 72 cities placed (Maine, Massachusetts, Connecticut, southeastern NY, southeastern PA, New Jersey, eastern Maryland, Delaware, northern/eastern/south central Virginia, coasts of North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia). Of course, with the exception of the Buffalo-Albany corridor, I've completed the most dense areas of the map city wise.

Originally posted by Procifica

One thing worrying me is I'll hit the 512 city limit before I'm done. :( There are already 72 cities placed (Maine, Massachusetts, Connecticut, southeastern NY, southeastern PA, New Jersey, eastern Maryland, Delaware, northern/eastern/south central Virginia, coasts of North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia). Of course, with the exception of the Buffalo-Albany corridor, I've completed the most dense areas of the map city wise.

I do hope you will replace most of the far west cities in
the current game with outposts. IMHO most of these should
not be cities.

i knew about the Stones River battle and Fortress Rosecrans, but what was the battle in Franklin?

Franklin took place before Nashville in late 1864, between Schofield's detachment of Thomas's Army, and Bragg's Army of Tennessee. Numbers were roughly 30,000 to 35,000 on each side.

With regard to the far west cities, most of those are outposts (Fort whatever). Santa Fe, Alberquerque, and Denver were several thousand people each at this time. Omaha also had several thousand. While most people don't see this area as of much importance, it still was a part of the Civil War and it drew off troops that could have been used elsewhere (90% of the regular US Army was stationed west of the Mississippi, and Generals such as Lee and Johnson were stationed out west when the Confederacy was formed).

The cities in Texas also were of pretty decent size, with a couple exceptions (like Dallas, which had about 750 people in 1860).

I'm also considering adding in British, Mexican, and Spanish ports, which would get special immobile units that will be pretty much impossible to kill to defend their cities. This hopefully will spur naval development by the AI.

Procifica i would like to add my 2 cents worth, in the middle of the Mississippi river stands the Rock Island Arsenal which during the civil war produced vast amounts of cannon, muskets, shot, and gunpowder for the US Army. During that time the R I Arsenal was considered by the US Army to be a strategic target that if captured or destroyed by the rebels would have crippled the outfitting of the regiments of the west and northwest states. This Arsenal stands on an island in the middle of the river at the junction of Rock Island Il and Davenport Ia. So you might want to consider putting a small wonder creating a union military unit every few turns, or a major manufacturing city in that area. I can provide exact numbers if you request it, as right now i think it was something like 6000 cannon of all types napoleons, parrots, and other types both rifled and smoothbores. All regiments of the northwest states were equipped by the Arsenal, infantry, artillery and cavalry.

Cheers Thorgrimm

When its upgraded to Conquests, I can put such a wonder in Davenport, IA.

In the Civ3/PTW version, I'll put a Factory building there to represent it. Thanks much for the info.

No problem, the reason it was there was because of the John Brown raid, and the Govt saw how vulnerable the Harpers ferry Arsenal was. Also 12,000 confederate prisoners were kept there during the war. So they wanted an arsenal they could protect yet get the stuff out. BTW Davenport, Rock Island was the first place that a railroad crossed the Mississippi river in 1856, not St Louis or Vicksburg, but my hometown! (Shameless Plug!:D)

Cheers Thorgrimm

Well if you played ACW, you will notice that Davenport is on the map, and a decent sized town. It was one of the 100 largest citites in 1860.

Update on ACW II:

Cities have been placed for the Buffalo-Albany corridor, as well as eastern PA, eastern NC, South Carolina, eastern GA, and the northeast coast of FL.

For those familiar with the Tampa/St. Petersburg area, I think I've outdone myself with the construction of Tampa Bay. Looks beautiful and realistic.

Top Bottom