• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

American Civil War - JPetroski vs Techumseh

NASHVILLE CAPTURED!

grand-ole-opry-nashville.png

PRISONERS INCLUDE GARTH BROOKS AND DOLLY PARTON.

2 militia and 1 confederate infantry units eliminated. Rebel cavalry destroyed by Union gunboat north of St. Louis.

(edit) I neglected to report that the town of St Paul was captured by the Sioux a couple of turns ago.

Attachments

• Union1863mar.rar
    60.3 KB · Views: 4
-CSS Virginia destroys USS Congress outside Charleston, SC.
-Union infantry killed SW of Alexandria

1718792011288.png

Attachments

• Rebel1863apr.zip
    78.3 KB · Views: 6
With those pictures, you makes me wondering about an upgrade displaying to all players a video instead of a picture.
I guess american filmography should have enough material to build that ? :)

I believe letting player the choice of having one (pictures) or the other (videos) could be implemented not to loose anything ?

-Union militia killed near Columbus, GA

Attachments

• Rebels1863july.zip
    79.9 KB · Views: 4
-A commando raid lands near NYC - several rail lines are cut! As a happy consequence of this as well, a Union transport which had previously been spotted by our transport on its run north last turn is intercepted off of Bermuda for the loss of all life! Let's just hope it doesn't have friends :eek:

-A battle erupts in the hills West of Decatur. A CSA general is lost as are a few militia but the Union stack on the hill tile was well as next to it is destroyed.
-One union infantry destroyed near Winchester.
-A CSA river ironclad ends its turn directly next to a Union one.... About all it can do is wave and curse the cavalry for not scouting things. Let me know how that goes I guess lol.

As an aside, while we're both doing it, I do wonder if the rail line cutting should survive for the next version of this scenario. Or, at the very least, having an easier way to restore the old lines. I'm basically destroying every rail line I don't presently need and you're helping me along with that but it seems very, well, gamey. I figure if I can do better than the regular Confederacy it's a win so it makes a lot of sense for me to do it to delay you, but you'd have to think it would destroy my economy in the real world. It seems to take slaves forever to rebuild these, so Atlanta is unlikely to burn any time soon. I don't know if my tactics will ultimately prevail or backfire though as you have sea superiority and while I happened to get lucky finding one transport, that's unlikely to happen again and one would think you'll be able to pick away pretty well at the periphery with naval maneuvers (you've taken two key cities already using rivers, after all).

I'm not suggesting any change for our game but if you ever revisit this, there's some things you might consider:

1. Maybe having rail lines restore themselves after so many turns
2. Perhaps allowing a unit other than a slave/engineer to press 'k' and rebuild the track for a price
3. Perhaps have some economic malus for lines that are cut? Not much or it could get out of balance rapidly but it's an option.
4. Perhaps the rail lines can't be cut.

If this is really only going to ever be a MP scenario, all four should be straight forward options with #1 not even needing players to micro everything. And I suppose it kind of makes sense that regardless of where the rail line was on the front, one side or the other would be trying to repair it.

Attachments

• Rebels1863aug.zip
    80.3 KB · Views: 5
I agree about pillaging the rail lines. At this rate, the south will be thrown back to the stone age. I've also been thinking of some alternatives. ACW was designed before the Patch Project or Lua, so its technology is pretty dated. I think I'd start with marking the locations of the rail lines in some way, so that if they are pillaged, you at least know where they were. I prefer your suggestion that cut rail lines don't stay cut. You shouldn't need to bring an engineer all the way from Pennsylvania to fix a railway in Kentucky. Local labour would likely be mobilized by junior officers to repair most breaks. So after 2 turns (say) there would be a 50% chance the line would be restored in a specific tile? Or something like that.

Units, especially militia, operating behind enemy lines is another problem, related to rail sabotage. Attrition of units out of supply is needed. Militia more than 6 tiles or so away from a friendly city should suffer severe attrition. Infantry and artillery somewhat less severe, with a longer supply distance, and cavalry significantly less attrition and much longer supply line. That would take care of much of the vandalism right there.

That's it for now. Gotta go, the game's on in a few minutes. Go Oilers! :trophy:

I prefer your suggestion that cut rail lines don't stay cut. You shouldn't need to bring an engineer all the way from Pennsylvania to fix a railway in Kentucky. Local labour would likely be mobilized by junior officers to repair most breaks. So after 2 turns (say) there would be a 50% chance the line would be restored in a specific tile? Or something like that.

I think the old Agricola maxim of "minimize quartermaster duties" is a good concept that lua can help with. Things can be complicated behind the scenes without needing to be complicated for the player. You should be able to have rail lines restored after a certain numbers of turns. You *might* even be able to tie in how many turns it takes to the tax rate (@Prof. Garfield I think that's what the below allows? I see science rate is also available but not luxury unless it's labelled something else, so I'm not sure)

taxRate (get)
tribe.taxRate -> integer

Returns the tax rate of the tribe.

So theoretically you might be able to tie in how fast the railroads are fixed by what the tax rate is. I guess it would probably make sense that the lower the tax rate, the faster they repair (because funds are diverted to it), but I'm sure arguments could be made the other way too.

Edit - even if luxury isn't available, if you made the check two part for both science and tax, you could effectively get to the luxury rate you needed for this as well. So, basically, maybe rail lines only repair quickly if the tax and science both aren't maxed. That might make the most sense and luxuries could be renamed appropriately (this scenario isn't trade heavy so I think it's pretty unlikely people are going to want to max their luxuries at any point in time beyond what it takes for civil order, so getting to the calculation this way would likely be preferable).

Anyway, I wonder if I'm right about this because using this for different things could be pretty cool (and a "hands off" way that one can still influence what direction they want their war effort to take).

Last edited:
I think the old Agricola maxim of "minimize quartermaster duties" is a good concept that lua can help with. Things can be complicated behind the scenes without needing to be complicated for the player. You should be able to have rail lines restored after a certain numbers of turns. You *might* even be able to tie in how many turns it takes to the tax rate (@Prof. Garfield I think that's what the below allows? I see science rate is also available but not luxury unless it's labelled something else, so I'm not sure)

taxRate (get)
tribe.taxRate -> integer

So theoretically you might be able to tie in how fast the railroads are fixed by what the tax rate is. I guess it would probably make sense that the lower the tax rate, the faster they repair (because funds are diverted to it), but I'm sure arguments could be made the other way too.

Anyway, I wonder if I'm right about this because using this for different things could be pretty cool (and a "hands off" way that one can still influence what direction they want their war effort to take).
I'd even say the higher in luxury rate*, the higher is diverted in "infrastructures". ;)

*(10 - (sci + tax))

taxRate (get)
tribe.taxRate -> integer

Yes, that gets the tribe's tax rate (0-10).

I don't know enough about the Civil War and railroad construction/destruction to suggest any particular mechanic.

After an extensive search of the mid-Atlantic Ocean by the US navy, the CSN frigate Melania is located and sunk. Confederate raiding parties in the vicinity of New York are tracked down and eliminated. 2 cavalry and 1 CSA infantry are destroyed, with the loss of 1 US cavalry. These Confederate seaborne raids cause a shakeup in the naval command. Admiral Boris is replaced by Admiral Truss, who vows to restore the navy's efficiency. (edit) I forgot to record the sinking of a CSA ironclad by a union gunboat on the Mississippi River, S of Cairo.

frigate battle.png

Attachments

• Union1863aug.rar
    62.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Are you sure you sent me the right save? My raiding parties in NY still exist.

Top Bottom