American Civil War (too easy?)

Glieze

Chieftain
So I basically took random leader, knew nothing about the scenario, chose deity, got the Union and read the description: Right, so you gotta take the enemy capital within 50 turns.

Then I just took all my units and marched towards their capital while only taking the few cities in the way. The only time I really encountered any resistance was at their capital where I lost 3 units while making suicide attacks on the capital. Victory turn 15 on deity with barely any thought.

This can't be the intention?

When I was playing it (either on Prince or King) I thought it'd be a lot more challenging and more to do than just take the enemy capitol. They need to make the cities stronger in the scenario, because most cities took 1-2 cannon fires and then went to 0 HP.

The civil war took as long as it did because of Union generals being incompetent more than anything. McClelland could have won the war in the first campaign. The problem is the game can't make you wary about the loss of digital life in the 1111101000's.

Wow I am getting a completely different story. I am being completely overwhelmed by all of their troops. The capital is impossible to take, every turn there is some event that is pro-confederacy and I am losing units left and right....time to restart I guess.

Well my second game went considerably better. I was able to beat it this time on deity. Events were distributed more evenly and came far less frequently. I used probably 5 cannons, 2 rifled cannons and 3 or 4 troops to clear out the units as they were made.

I wouldn't consider the scenario easy but its easier than some of the other ones we have had ( looking at you fall of Rome or Mongolia conquest)

The thing that annoys me about playing on Deity is it seems you have to neglect things. The AI had so many units and I was losing cities left and right in the west. But since I am not an AI I just focused all my units on the capital and won. I'll be playing the scenario again to get the remaining achievements but besides for that didn't find that it was anything amazing.

There's some bug it seems, post turn 22, all Union cities went up to 24+ strength in my game.

I did dally too long since I wanted to combine taking Gettysburg achievement with win Deity...

It seems that cost me the run, since my rifled cannons barely scratch Washington with it's 55 defence.

I guess I'll restart and go Union for the Deity run. It's much easier to attack Richmond in 15 turns , compared to Washington (since Confederacy needs to tech Engineering to cross over to Washington more easily.

Hopefully the city strength bug doesn't kick in too soon either.

There's some bug it seems, post turn 22, all Union cities went up to 24+ strength in my game.

I did dally too long since I wanted to combine taking Gettysburg achievement with win Deity...

It seems that cost me the run, since my rifled cannons barely scratch Washington with it's 55 defence.

I guess I'll restart and go Union for the Deity run. It's much easier to attack Richmond in 15 turns , compared to Washington (since Confederacy needs to tech Engineering to cross over to Washington more easily.

Hopefully the city strength bug doesn't kick in too soon either.
Somehow I think it's a feature rather than a bug. If you take more than half the turn, cities start increasing considerably in strength. If you get bogged down, it becomes really hard. On my first Confederate run, it took 7 cannons 10 turns to get Washington down and had only one turn to spare.

Somehow I think it's a feature rather than a bug. If you take more than half the turn, cities start increasing considerably in strength. If you get bogged down, it becomes really hard. On my first Confederate run, it took 7 cannons 10 turns to get Washington down and had only one turn to spare.

If it was a "feature" then I'd like the same logic be applied to my cities as well.

Either way it should be better advertised, since right now it happens quite arbitrarily (turn xx, all cities go from x to xx defence).

If it was a "feature" then I'd like the same logic be applied to my cities as well.

Either way it should be better advertised, since right now it happens quite arbitrarily (turn xx, all cities go from x to xx defence).

They do. The strength of cities depends on population and each pop increases the strength in a very noticeable matter. Your enemy is simply growing faster.

I think the scenario is buggy. I ended up with STR 80+ cities - that can hardly be intentional. X_X

I think the scenario is buggy. I ended up with STR 80+ cities - that can hardly be intentional. X_X

DC did become the most fortified city in the country during the civil war.

The big thing on this is how many cities are increasing in strength?

The second most fortified US city would have been Nashville (which probably isn't on the map at all). The only other strong cities on the Northern side would have been Baltimore & Philadelphia.

On the South, Richmond was their most fortified city, but they also put a bunch of work into the next town south.

Union is pretty easy.

Confederacy is a fair amount tougher: No embarking, fewer units, and the best approach to Washington is guarded by a one-tile ocean-river (presumably, the Potomac River). Confederacy isn't overwhelmingly difficult (I played on Emperor, could be way worse on Deity, I don't know), but it's probably the only side (of two) that is worth playing more than once.

Top Bottom