American Civil War: Union and Confederate Armies

Oz, not only the French quite a few Gatling's were exported to foreign countries.

Yes, but I wanted to point out the mitrailleuse especially, to hint at its prominence in, oh, say, a "WW1" mod beginning in 1898* ;)

Best,

Oz

*The Brits and French facing off at Fashoda at the headwaters of the Nile actually start shooting at one another ...

-O.

EDIT: BK, I see I might have missed your point: the mitrailleuse wasn't an exported Gatling gun, but an independent, multi-barreled weapon which, at Civ scale, would be all-but identical in appearance; later developments ( 1895 model ) did diverge.

-O

Being new to the forum, I am hesitant to offer up anything. But I am going to jump in here and hope that I do not cause offense. I've been playing Conquests since it first came out, and have downloaded and used many of the wonderful creations that have been posted. You guys are all true artists, and it intimidates those of us who feel like we have nothing to offer that compares.
I am a long-time Civil War reenactor. (Think Ares with a slouch hat and rifle instead of a helment and spear) So this is my particular area of knowledge and interest. I love what imperator has done with these, and very grateful for his creativity, and willingness to share with everyone.

In reading many of the other threads and postings, there is constructive and educational comments in an attempt to get things right. Everyone contributes in the areas that mean the most to them personally. So in that spirit, I offer the following observations.

For the Union (they called themselves Federals) all the coats should be the dark blue that the cavalry are given. The sharpshooters are good, and the militia colors are fine. But the dark blue was the standard for the north. It was only the trims and chevron colors that were different for the different branches
The blue-gray that is used here was actually called "Cadet-Gray" at the time, and was used by the south, in particular the Texas regiments. They got a large shipment of the cloth from the UK in 1863.

The Zouaves are very nice, they had many different uniform styles, some with the dark blue coats, some without. The seige mortar is also very good. The late war US Marines is what they actually looked like the entire war. They were distinguished by the white cross straps.

The cannon barrel on the light US artillery should not have handles on it, those were gone by the war of 1812. This is also true for the CSA artillery.

Speaking of the rebs, you have nailed the La Tigers, great work. And aside from the cadet-gray I mentioned, and that you could have used more of the brown or butternut coloring on the coats, and more of the wide-brimmed hats, they all look great. I do not think the CSA marines had a difference between early and late war either.

If a bonus pack is ever contimplated, might I suggest adding the US regulars and the Iron Brigade? They had essentilaly the same uniforms. Also including some western US regiments with the blanket rolls and black hats.

http://www.historicalartprints.com/viewgal.php?gal_id=2

This is a collection of art work by Don Troiani, focusing on regimential uniforms in the CW. There are some better views, but I am not real accomplished at adding images, so for now this is the best I can do.

Thanks for reading this

MikeL49NYVI, welcome to CFC. Your post is very welcome as well. It strikes a good balance between the quest for historical accuracy & what works in the game. As to the latter, sometimes a unit is made in two versions or variations & a name for the second one is difficult to think of. Or a unit is requested but detailed images are hard to find. Looks like you've volunteered yourself for ACW duty on that score. :mischief:

That's what I get for falling asleep, I wake up and find out I have volunteered for something :eek:

We once, at a reenactment, had the entire company take a step backwards, except for the two guys we wanted to "volunteer" to fill everyone's canteens.....

Well I have always believed that if you are not part of the solution, you are a part of the problem and have no right to criticize if you have nothing constructive to offer. So, I guess I've got a job.

Thanks for the welcome guys, I've been enjoying your posts, and
downloads for years, it is pleasure to be aboard. I don't have the artistic and computer skills that most of you do, but I'll contribute where I can.

That's what I get for falling asleep, I wake up and find out I have volunteered for something :eek:

We once, at a reenactment, had the entire company take a step backwards, except for the two guys we wanted to "volunteer" to fill everyone's canteens.....

Well I have always believed that if you are not part of the solution, you are a part of the problem and have no right to criticize if you have nothing constructive to offer. So, I guess I've got a job.

Thanks for the welcome guys, I've been enjoying your posts, and
downloads for years, it is pleasure to be aboard. I don't have the artistic and computer skills that most of you do, but I'll contribute where I can.

Welcome to CFC MikeL49NYVI! Your criticism are much interesting for me. I'not american, so I understant that is difficult for me to find the exactly uniforms for my units. I have found my informations in internet and in some (much) Osprey publications. My first step in creating units is a very in deep research of historical information, and after this a research of all the pics/images I can found.
As for the Federeals blue Coat I have colored some units with different blue shade to simulate the difficult of supply a standar uniform throghout the war.
Thanks for your contribute.

Welcome to CFC MikeL49NYVI! Your criticism are much interesting for me. I'not american, so I understant that is difficult for me to find the exactly uniforms for my units. I have found my informations in internet and in some (much) Osprey publications. My first step in creating units is a very in deep research of historical information, and after this a research of all the pics/images I can found.
As for the Federeals blue Coat I have colored some units with different blue shade to simulate the difficult of supply a standar uniform throghout the war.
Thanks for your contribute.

Thank you very much for the welcome.

I understand exactly what you mean about not being an American. I downloaded your wonderful huge Italian pack as soon as it was posted. It is very plain and that it was as much a labor of love and interest in your country's heritage as it was about the units themselves. I do not think that anyone else could have done them so well. I remember looking at them and asking "Where did he get all that information?"
We each have our own areas that we have spent extra time studying. (Except Wyrm, who seems to know about everything)
Mine just happens to be about the ACW. That is a part of my heritage that I love.
Looking at all of your units, no one can question your research, and your committment to quailty. Heck, I know I could never produce things like you and the others on this forum do. I consider myself artistically challenged.
If you ever do decide to do a bonus pack, I'd be happy to send you some stuff, and information. BTW, The Federal Gvt did, as you said, contract out to uniform makers, and also for Springfield Rifles. But they sent specific dye instructions and requirements, and so the differences were not really that obvious. The same held true for the rifles, they had to meet certain specs, or they did not get the contracts. The Rebs, on the other hand were as much mix-and-match as you could find. You can almost not go wrong with anything close with them. A great oppotunity for creativity.

Top Bottom