1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

American Conquest

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by carmen510, Jul 22, 2009.

1. carmen510

carmen510 Deity

This seems to be a much overlooked strategy game from 2003, with still decent graphics and a great setting, 17th-18th century America.

I'm having a bit of trouble with this game, because I got the jewel case version and there is NO game guide, only one of those "Quick Start" guides in the Readme. I've checked online, and not seen ONE FAQ or such. I can do okay on the scenarios, but I get my arse owned in Random Maps. Could anyone give me pointers on how to play random maps? Thanks in advance.

2. Darth_Pugwash

Darth_Pugwash wobble wobble

Is there a pdf file anywhere in the game folder perhaps? Probably the best solution is just to play the game and see what works.

BTW, if you like American Conquest you might also want to check out the sequel Cossacks Napoleonic Wars / Battle for Europe, which has a limited Total War style mode. I always felt the Cossacks games were a bit underrated, although I never played American Conquest. They're made by the same developers as the STALKER games (GSC Gameworld).

3. carmen510

carmen510 Deity

@Darth: I finally found the manual, it was on my game disc, NOT in my game folders on the hard drive. It explains combat decently, and I now have an idea for the units, but the manual is severely lacking in terms of explaining the economy, and key aspects like naval combat. (This is a game where each faction usually fields over 15,000 individual units, multiply that by up to 8 in random maps, and you've got the definition of cluster#%$*.

I would like to try Cossacks, but I would need to convince my parents to buy it from Amazon since I don't think they stock it anymore at my local Gamestop.

4. GoodGame

GoodGame Red, White, & Blue, baby!

I just recall something about assigning workers to building to get them running.

5. Bratmon

Bratmon Super Bratmon 3

Ohh man. That game was glitchy, and also impossible. The computer can command 1,000 units at once on a huge map in real time, but not me.

6. carmen510

carmen510 Deity

Yeah, but watching the AI battle itself is amazing, as long as the games doesn't glitch out.