American culture group

Sukenis

the J'BOOtian Warlord
Is it just me or do the "American" civs allways get out on maps. In my last 4 games, I have had at least 3 if not all 5 of the American civs. It would be nice to fight off different people form time to time.

I know there was a bug in the past, but was it never addressed/fixed?

I know for a fact I did. That should not matter though. I have not played an American civ in every game so why would that matter?

It would matter in that it would choose other 'american' civs for your randomly-selected enemies. It's possible to accidentally click that option on; I've done it myself. Try starting a new game and look at the options clicked off on the second page of the 'start game' dialog (the screen titled PLAYER SETUP) - if you've accidentally clicked that option ON in the past, it will be ON until you start a game where you've clicked it OFF.

I almost always start with America as the human player; my current game is a 'standard' sized map with 11 randomly-chosen rivals, and I don't have any other American civs as rivals - and that's unusual, since there are at least 4 other American civs.

If you want to post one of your saved games, I'll look at it with one of the utility programs that shows what options are 'on' (I use the Civ3 Multitool Save Game editor).

I tried playing C3C with it off, and it doesn't matter. The Mayans and the Incans have been in all but one of the many, many C3C games I've played since C3C came out in November.

As long as you check culture-linked, you almost for sure get the American Civs regardless of what your Civ is. The really odd thing here: The same happens in the RaR (DyP for C3C) beta; in other words, it's not related to the Civ name etc (RaR/DyP has the Sioux for example), but only to the American Culture Group.
Happened to me that all my opponents were Americans (I was Japan)...

Solution: Turn off the CLS. If you want your culture group around, hand-pick them; that really makes no difference.

Smellincoffee said:
I tried playing C3C with it off, and it doesn't matter. The Mayans and the Incans have been in all but one of the many, many C3C games I've played since C3C came out in November.
When I replied to you last night, I didn't realize you weren't always playing as the American civilization (I almost always do). So you're not getting Mayans and Incans due to cultural links - sorry, I misinterpreted.

I'd have to dig out an old statistics book to figure out the probability of getting more than 2 American civs in a random game of a certain size, but I suspect what you're seeing is pure random chance rather than some preference built in to Conquests....sometimes it feels to me that I can't start a game without Philip of the Netherlands being there!

Top Bottom