1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

American Kingdoms

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by CurtSibling, Aug 14, 2011.

1. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff

Despite a ton of delays, my latest scenario is ready for play at last!

Play as a rising nation in the former USA after a global pandemic.
    New empires are ready to be forged, new weapons and cities to be built.
    Or you can send forth your bikers and freaks to crush all opposition!

The choice is yours! Check it out here!

Use this thread for any feedback or bug reports...I made this on WinXP,
    so if you have trouble with Win7, please refer to the threads on these bugs...

And most of all, my huge thanks as ever, to Mr Gareth Birch for inspiration!

:D

2. JPetroski

JPetroski Chieftain

What an amazing concept! I could see this scenario becoming a real winner on the multiplayer webring!

I'm terribly stressed for time but I'll try and play it a bit soon!

3. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

Looks smashing! And a winning premise to boot. Fallout, eat your heart out.

Dash it all, this just shelved everything else I was working on. The First Nations will rise again!

4. McMonkey

McMonkey ----Evertonian---- SLeague Staff

Wow! This looks seriously good. I was going to go down the gym this evening but I may well skip it and get stuck into a game of American Kingdoms. If it plays as good as it looks were in for a real treat. I like the way the map is set up but there is a lot of conquering and rebuilding to do to get civilization back on track. Now I've got to make my mind up which faction to play as, they all look so cool! I may have to watch The Road again at some point for a bit to get me into the correct post Apocalyptic mood :D

5. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Chieftain

Downloaded, all fired up. Frakking nazis time to die!

6. CurtSibling

Thanks, chaps!
    I am delighted you guys are taking time off from important things to play this - :D

I'm off to start a new game as the bikers...Time to play as the underdogs! :)

7. McMonkey

After reading through the factions profiles I decided I sympathised most with the Confederationists, but as I wasn't too enamoured with their flat homeland and proximity to the American Empire (who I think will be the biggest / baddest faction) I decided to start my first game as the Aryan Legions. I certainly don't prescribe to their world view, but I liked their starting location and thought it would make for a good game (with a final showdown with the Empire) and also I saw 'American History X' on the box the other day so I had an image of the faction in my mind. Planning to rip up the west coast and take on those Biker punks if they won't join forces, then head west. This game reminds me of some of the cool post apocalyptic warhammer figures I saw as a kid. Those images have stayed with me somewhere deep in my subconscious and this scenario has brought that messed up fantasy world back to life!

8. Ingvar VII

Ingvar VII Chieftain

Excellent scenario!
    The Civiliopedia entrances for some of the wonders seem to be missing. Not really a bother, but I thought it might not be intentional so I wanted to mention it.

9. CurtSibling

@McMonkey: Give em' hell! Sometimes it is fun to play the baddies...Not many goodies in this scen, anyhow...:D

@Ingvar VII: Cheers! I planned to edit the civpedia, but reckoned people would use the readme for reference...
    I'll look into the missing items...It might be the "describe.txt" causing the bug...;)

10. McMonkey

My game is going very well. My only setback to date was the loss of my Apache. By July 2040 the whole of California is under my control. I decide to leave the northern Bikers to their own petty devices and make peace with the Christians. I next turn my attention to Las Vegas as a base for my planned attack on the Christian heartland and their road and river network. With these under my control I can pick my next victims at will. Damn good fun!

11. Hans99

Hans99 Chieftain

Downloaded it, nice title screen btw.

12. CurtSibling

@McMonkey: Glad to hear the campaign is going good, sir - Good luck!

@Hans: Thanks, dude - But it was artwork off the web, I take no credit...:)

13. CurtSibling

Bah! I found a bug in the batch file...! :D

A small typo in the "outlaws" code line...Old info from cloned batch file settings...Fixed now...

No need for anyone here to stop games, but if you want to play as bikers (like me), copy this new "kingdoms.bat" file...

:)

Attached Files:

14. Arthedain

Arthedain - Celestial Being - SLeague Staff

Ciaran, this scenario looks really excellent! :goodjob: I will see if I can find some time to play this one. Although we got a dog last saturday, so there's not so much free time now ;)

15. Fairline

Fairline Chieftain

Excellent mate :b

I'm a big Fallout fan, so I'm gonna enjoy this. Only problem's going to be picking a faction...... white supremacists are definitely out; it's got to be biker dudes or native Americans. Loving the motorbike units btw.

Also, while I've got you here, did you ever draw any Spanish cities, including 'burbs? Looking for something that'll fit in with Pablo's splendid Spanish Civil War scenario.

16. CurtSibling

@Arthedain: Thanks, man! I know how a new dog can be a real master of chaos! :D

@Fairline: I'll have a look around, I am sure I have latin cities from 1870 that can be adapted, and some burbs too...

:)

17. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Chieftain

I blame you for my sleep deprivation, mister! :crazyeye:

18. McMonkey

April 2043

The Aryan Legions have conquered their first rival faction, the Pentecostal Union. Seeing which way the wind was blowing a few of the more pragmatic Christian cities decide to throw in their lot with the Aryans rather than face destruction. This nets me a Fighting Falcon.

This reminds me of the early vanilla Civ2 games I loved so much. Having a real blast!

A couple of observations:

- Trade will surely play a very small part in this scenario and can only really be exploited by the human player. I have seen a lot of AI controlled Trade Trucks going on suicide missions. Might it be worth removing trade and using the unit slot for something else. This does not have a detrimental effect on the game, trade just seems redundant.

- Bribery is a very powerful tactic. If I can bribe a city for 300-400 gold and get back 150-200 upon capture plus sell any unessential improvements (Faith Police = 200 gold) and if you also gain control of perhaps three + units it really makes little sense to fight. It might be worthwhile limiting spies abilities so they can only investigate and sabotage.

- I guess the negotiator is like a diplomat. I can see very little use for this unit as I start the game already in contact with all the other factions. Perhaps that unit slot could be better employed.

19. CurtSibling

"One more turn" syndrome strikes again! :D

20. CurtSibling

Good show!

I'm in October 2051, and after a siege lasting years, the Empire has taken Washington DC,
    and now their armies are storming out like a tsunami of ass-kicking doom across the map!

Playing as the Bikers, I have come to appreciate what it is like being next door to those nazi douchebnags is like!
    They are worst behaved civ I have seen, breaking treaties and being buggers in general.

Unlucky for them that my new Warthog production line is running in Nirvana City...

Time to carpet bomb some jackboots! :)

Thanks, dude! That is real praise! :)

Actually, it is quite vital to the small civs, like Bikers and Indians, who start off with few techs or cash.

For the big boys, it might seem surplus to build loads of trade trucks, but don't forget the wonder building race!

That cash (for rush buying) and trucks for wonder boosting are essential.

Sometimes (especially when jets are proliferating) you'll need to rush buy that SAM site or F16!

:D

It can be considered...Personally, I like to give the player the full options. It is up to him to use it.

Also, sometimes cities can be expensive to bribe, especially in the late game.
    We'll see how the playtests pan out...

Yep - The unit was really the basic diplo guy, and perhaps a bit surplus.
    But like the CIV2 diplo, he can be a good "fire and forget" briber of cities or units.

And remember - He ties in with the barb diplo unit too...

Good observations, sir - I will definitely take all on board.

:goodjob: