1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

American Kingdoms

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by CurtSibling, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Companero

Companero Chieftain

Aww - having really enjoyed the original Kingdoms and really liking the look of this I tried installing ToT especially to play it, and discovered that I can't get it to run properly on my Win7 laptop. Damnit!

The art looks amazing, I can see that much from the zip file...

2. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

Is it 64-bit? You'll need this patch, and these drivers for the videos. Hopefully that helps.

The year is now 2043. The Indians are in control of Mexico save Ensenada and Mexicali, and most of the central plains, reaching as far north as Bismarck. I have a fairly constant border along the east side of the Rockies, and a salient into the southeast at Memphis that might just give me a clear path to take the rest of the Eastern Seaboard before the other factions. The Bikers are at war with the Pentecostal Union, who is at war with the Aryans, and the Supreme Nation is feuding with the Confederationists and the Aryans despite me standing in the way of the latter. Thus far I haven't been drawn into the maelstrom.

In spite of its early land grab, the American Empire hasn't expanded much beyond the maritime states, and still hasn't seized D.C. The Pentecostal Union is pretty much dead, down to four cities, most of its losses to the Bikers. After myself, the two dominant powers look to be the Confederationists and the Aryans.

One item I noticed is that the Agent unit functions the same as the Negotiator, in that it's fire-and-forget and doesn't feature higher-level espionage options. if I recall correctly, spies are one of those square-specific units.

3. Companero

Companero Chieftain

Oh, thank you! Now the Confederationists can march to war! ...Also the Chinese warlords and everyone else i've been waiting to play, when the SL Wiki comes back up...

4. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff

Heh! It's early days! :D

One of those bunch will make a move soon enough...Keep your eye on those Aryan Legion swines...:D

I am wondering if it is worth making DC easier for the Empire to conquer...But at the same time, I don't want it too easy for the human player.
    Once they acquire the mobile guns, the AI usually takes DC. It took them till 2050 in my current game, now they are dominating the whole East USA!

The agent was really a unique Negotiator-type unit for the Supremists and Indians.
    They can still bribe any spies they find...

5. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

I don't think it's difficulty so much as for lack of trying. It might be the Empire is concentrating its forces in besieging Toronto (someone's attacking it), and that has not been going well.

Ah, I thought it might be intentional.

6. Omega124

Omega124 Challenging Fate

Oh my god, a mod that actually includes Albany. I am so estatic right now!

But I don't think I got a clear message what the various nations are. Can you explain them on the thread?

7. Tanelorn

Tanelorn Chieftain

I know what you mean Omega, my family used to live in "Fortress" London...

8. Companero

Companero Chieftain

Everyone is talking about Washington being too tough for the Empire to take in the early game but the midlevel AI in my current Confederationist game went all out with and took it really quickly. I was planning to drive my research towards engineering and civic stuff to build up a big industrial base with which to fight them later but I think I may need artillery much faster than I thought...

9. CurtSibling

Heh! My brother is doing his masters degree in Morgantown too, which is part of my empire!

Here is the lowdown on the factions, from the ReadMe:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FACTIONS
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

===============
    =THE BIG THREE=
    ===============

American Empire
    **********************************************************************************************
    This colonial dictatorship came about due to the ruthless and quick thinking Joe MacRandall.
    A captain during the 2003 Gulf War, he returned to NYC with few prospects. However, when the
    virus hit, he found himself in command of the Manhattan borough when all other top brass had
    died. From this bleak origin, he built up a following and gathered together many survivors.
    More than a quarter of a century later, MacRandall has created a colonialist system. Luxury
    goods from plundered cities are used to reward cronies and appease his populace. The people
    of the empire regard themselves as the "true" Americans, and inheritors of the United States.
    The Empire seeks to roll outward and take the Imperial flag to where anarchy reigns.

Confederationists
    **********************************************************************************************
    The authoritarian techo-society of the Confederation is close to that envisioned by the Sci-Fi
    author, Robert Heinlein. A regime of progress, with citizenship awarded for military service,
    and ruled by scientist-soldier elites. The success of this organisation can be traced back to
    the industrialist, Gideon Rove and his tireless work that eventually led to the Mayan-D cure.
    With his mass-distribution of a working vaccine, Rove's hometown, Chicago became rich quickly.
    Scientists migrated there, from more dangerous states where fanatics and zealots held sway.
    The Confederation seeks to bring progress and quality of life to the lawless outlands.

Pentecostal Union
    Even before the pandemic, Bill Montanas was spreading his own disease among the middle-class
    religious demographic. Making millions from his mail-order relics and megachurches, Montanas
    was canny enough to lead the richest of his fanatic flock to a safe-zone in Salt Lake city.
    Forcing out the sick and dying Mormons, the Pentecostal Union was formed from the desperate
    and terrified god-fearing survivors, who turned to the saintly TV preacher as a divine guide.
    Isolation and strict hygene safe-guarded these Christian fiefdoms from the worst of the virus.
    The Pentecostal Union now look outward to a land that is in dire need of the Lord's succor.

===============
    =RISING POWERS=
    ===============

Outlaw Bikers
    Genghis Simmons was already an infamous rock star in the USA before the viral outbreak. While
    millions died around the world, he still managed to release records on a dissolving internet.
    The societal meltdown on the West Coast suited Simmons perfectly, anarchy being his natural
    medium. He worked hard to forge a coalition of drug lords, occultists, bikers and gangsters.
    Holding sway over his leather-clad cohorts by a system of rewards and ultra-violence, Simmons
    dwells in his Seattle fortress with all the grotesque splendor and excess of a barbarian king.
    The Outlaws seek to extend their lucrative criminal empire into the neighboring rebel cities.

Aryan Legions
    Wolfgang Sturmer was already growing "internet star" on political forums before the disaster.
    He also spoke at many radical rallies attended by many who would perish in the pandemic, but
    also those who would help him take over the near-empty city of Los Angeles. Sturmer forged a
    powerful coalition of political parties from wildly different extremists and directed a great
    effort to help restore LA to some kind of inhabitable state. Many years later, a new system
    of racial class is the regime on the US West Coast, with the Aryans predictably at the top.
    The Legions wish to expand and seek more underclass to support their growing population.

Supreme Nation - A black extremist regime.
    Before the pandemic, Usher Masterman was a young man who had witnessed the devastation caused
    by the Katrina hurricane, and the bungled reaction of the US federal authorities. After this,
    he spoke at many radical rallies and cemented his creed of extreme racial superiority. When
    the disaster struck, he led and organised armed death squads, killing whites in the crumbling
    urban areas of New Orleans. By the 2030, the city and surroundings had become an armed camp.
    Despite Masterman's claims of progress, the "Nation" suffers from huge poverty and neglect.
    The Supreme Nation must expand outwards, and secure lucrative industry and urban centres...

Indian Alliance - A tribal nation of native peoples.
    A long history of ill-treatment and social damage had affected Indians long before the disaster.
    Vincente Victorio was a young PA for a lawyer in New Mexico when the world began to fall. Using
    his natural charisma and talent for deal-making, Victorio managed to forge together a very large
    confederation of political parties, tribal communities and corrupt Mexican officials. From the
    mostly untouched city metroplex of San Pedro, Victorio and his cohorts rule over their domain,
    seeking new opportunities to bring more dispossessed people and rebel cities into the fold.
    The Indian Alliance should look East, to the rich industrial coastal towns and regions.

:)

10. rapps

rapps Chieftain

Seems like a spiritual successor to the Vendetta scenarios.
    Everyone's evil and I love it.

Playing as the supremacist nation.
    It's early 2047, I've managed to capture all the former CSA states east of the Mississippi. (pay back's a mo-fo :( )
    Texas is proving a tougher nut to crack though I did eventually manage to take Dallas and Houston, having some trouble with the Aryans pinning me down at Forth Worth, though that free Lightning is keeping the Aryans out of Dallas.

Except for the Aryans, I've been left pretty much to my own devices by everyone else.
    The Empire's gotten bogged down in in Ohio and Western Pennsylvania in a war of attrition with the Confederationists. They've yet to grab Washington and it doesn't seem like they've made any attempts for the Canadian cities by the St:Laurent river.
    The Confed's themselves haven't been hampered by the war with the Empire and have expanded deep into the west all the way to the Rockies.
    The Indians also seem to be heading west, I don't think they've even touched any of the cities by the Gulf of Mexico.
    The Poor Pentecostal on the other hand haven't been able to expand much as they're being hammered from all sides by the Aryans, the Outlaws and the Confeds, though they have surprisingly made quite a few gains against the Outlaws despite being sandwiched.
    After me and the Confeds, the Aryans have expanded the most, conquering the whole of California, Arizona, New Mexico and a few West Texan cities.

Overall a great game so far, wished I had more time to play all the factions, though I'm usually against including RRs in scenarios.

11. McMonkey

McMonkey ----Evertonian---- SLeague Staff

I hadn't spotted that RR are allowed. I wonder if the AI will make much strategic use of them or if it will just help the human player bulldoze all opposition. I guess as there is no existing network it might not be too much of a problem.

12. McMonkey

The one more turn factor of AK is frightening, but in a good way! I think the potential for replaying the scenario is huge too as the factions charecters are so different and their starting positions will ensure a fresh feel each time. No major problems encountered so far and I hope it stays that way. Here is my current progress:

August 2044

My first two goals were to secure California and then take out the Christians and gain control of their road network. These were both achieved fairly early on. The Outlaw Bikers and Indians are like my pet pooches and sit on my flanks doing little while I gobble up huge swathes of territory. I am vigilant for treachery but I don't think they could pose a serious threat. My third goal was the oilfields of central Texas which I have just achieved. Now I aim to push on to the sea at Houston and grab as many rebel cities on the great plains as I can whilst building up my road and logistical network in preparation for a showdown with the major eastern powers.

Attached Files:

13. McMonkey

14. McMonkey

I was wondering about the Indians lack of aggression. Does the @LEADERS section of the rules file set the character of Civs or can it be altered in game. In all my scenarios I set all nations to:

attack: 1 = aggressive
    expand: 1 = expansionist
    civilize: -1 = militaristic

Unless I have a specific reason to make them more passive. I don't know if these settings need to be in place when you save as scenario or if these get read from the rules file during the game. Does anyone know the mechanics of this part of the rules? Just an idea that might make the AI's behaviour a bit more human.

15. Companero

Companero Chieftain

The Indians haven't really done much in my game either. On the other hand my Confederationists just won a brutal war against the Supremacists which ended with the simultaneous capture of Spokane and Corpus Christi, and left me in control of most of the continent. The great crusade to drive the fascists out of the west and finally unite the continent is going to be nothing on that war...

To be honest, the map is so huge and the engineers so expensive that the railroads aren't so much allowing me to steamroll the opposition as simply avoid the boredom of having to drive every new unit a third of the way across the continent. I think they've been implemented very well!

16. McMonkey

I think the slower unit transit over long distances puts the oness [how on earth do you spell that word :lol:] on the player to plan well. If you can swap between fronts instantly there is little chance of being outmanoeuvred by the AI. In my game I was positioning my troops for an attack on the Confeds and possibly the Supreme Nation when I was set upon by the Outlaw Bikers, the Indians and the Supreme Nation almost simultaneously. This caused me a major headache and meant I had to put together scratch battlegroups to deal with the threat and delay my planned attack in the centre.

That said, engineers are quite rightly very expensive and the distances that need tarmacking are vast so the opportunity to build vast RR networks is limited and roads must be planned carefully to make the most efficient use of engineers.

In my current game I'm playing with the self imposed rules: No RR and No Trading. Next time I will add No Bribing non Rebel Cities. This makes the game more of a challenge for me and is pretty easy to implement.

17. CurtSibling

Hi guys! Just digesting everyone's posts and fixing some GLARING errors that slipped through!

I spelled "Chicago" wrong...What the hell? My apologies to my American friends for that! :(

New SCN file and events coming up soon! Thanks to Mr Nicheal for advice there!

18. CurtSibling

@McMonkey: I am glad you are having a blast with this! :D

Once I can iron out some typos, we could conspire to create a "hardore" rule/game text set for no trade/bribes or RR?

A sort of "man of Iron" edition! :)

19. rapps

rapps Chieftain

Well, if we're going for name changes, the only thing I really noticed was that Buffalo's position is kind of wrong, but could be renamed Syracuse instead.

Playing as the Supreme nation, I kind of missed having the spy to do some more accurate sabotage missions, though I'd understand if it was intentional considering how isolated the Supremacists and Indians are at the beginning.

Now I'm off to play as the Pentecostal Union, manifest destiny beckons!

20. CurtSibling

Just a few fixes to events typos and proper spelling on embarrassingly goofed city names! ;)

Nothing that needs to interfere with existing games, but install this if you are about to start a new campaign!

Many thanks to all those who gave AK a try - Glad that you enjoyed it...
    A sequel is in the planning stages, incidentally...:nuke:

:)

Attached Files: