American Merchant of Venice

Deau

Emperor
Spoiler :

Anyone has had the chance to obtain one of those via patronage out of luck yet and tested whether non-venetian civs could still puppet/annex a random CS the same way as Maria Theresa can?

Also a different topic but SS from the same game just the joys of the new SP system
Pyramids constructed on T210 on deity standard speed...

Spoiler :

lol x 2!
Frankly the first is a bug though.

I don't think so. Ever since vanilla, the last SP (now built in the finisher) of the Patronage tree has been able to provide special GP. One could get Khan's from a few CSs even when not playing as Mongolia and get the benefits of the khan aka 4 or 5 move and the +15 healing to nearby units.

I don't think so. Ever since vanilla, the last SP (now built in the finisher) of the Patronage tree has been able to provide special GP. One could get Khan's from a few CSs even when not playing as Mongolia and get the benefits of the khan aka 4 or 5 move and the +15 healing to nearby units.

Playing Greece a lot I take? This is the only time I put full points on patronage.
MoV is game breaking because you get a free puppet city state without any risk of diplomatic retaliation...

EDIT But maybe gives a reason to fully explore patronage now... Although putting 1-2 points on several paths seems sexier in BNW.

I found another bug with Venice.
I did buy a city state with a merchand of venice, then America invade it and try to raze. I retake before he raze it and it didn't become a pupet city.

I got one as non-Venice and did actually use its unique ability to take over a CS. You can annex it, unlike Venice who is (supposed to be) coded to only be able to puppet on acquisition, be it through conquest or UGP.

In a recent game where I played Indonesia (Culture Victory, Prince, Standard, Standard, Archipelago), I received a MoV from Malacca. I didn't want a puppet but the trade mission back to Malacca certainly was sweet! (60 influence with the hostile CS and 3600 gold.)

Puppeting city states with MoVs is sometimes overrated IMO. It can be far more useful at times to get that influence and cash.

In my second victory with Venice (Prince Diplomatic Victory, Small Continents, Standard, Standard), I didn't use my first MoV to puppet friendly Prague -- the only CS I had found by that time. I took out a barb camp at its request and then did the trade mission. So there was 110 influence and 800 gold before turn 50. Prague was my ally through the rest of the game, giving me culture, silver and wine not to mention delegates later on. I did end up puppeting 5 CS in that game but the boon from that early trade mission was worth much more through the game than an early puppet would have been. With the cash, I was able to buy a trireme and find other CS to puppet later, including Malacca with Lake Victoria. :)

I got one as non-Venice and did actually use its unique ability to take over a CS. You can annex it, unlike Venice who is (supposed to be) coded to only be able to puppet on acquisition, be it through conquest or UGP.

This is outstanding, we need to get into documenting what CSs can actually provide that MoV

This is outstanding, we need to get into documenting what CSs can actually provide that MoV

Yes this happend to me twice already because i was bored of always going the "normal" tress ;)

In one game i got it very late and got a CS with 6 Infantry and 4 rocket artillery ;););)

I got one (via patronage) in a game going for diplomacy victory, so i never used its special ability. The double income trade mission was still nice.

I also got a couple as not-Venice (I was Babylon I think).
I just used it for its double money and made some city state allies. Surely it must be a bug to be fixed?! Although, I chose the city-state route through social policies because I was going for a diplomatic victory and obviously didn't want to take over any city states.

I can confirm this, I got Khan from my last game using Shoshone, that +15 heal really helps conquering greece. I have never received MoV though :|

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I got one in my last game too, I usually take the Patronage tree so it's not uncommon to get random great people. I didn't puppet the city, but I had the ability to, instead I used it to gain 4600 gold and a bunch of influence (Marathon) came in quite handy and paid for two Factories.

What if...
You puppeted a CS with the Merchant of Venice that it gave to you? That would be just evil. :devil:

why evil? They have it much better under the protection of my empire!

They are better protected by my military. That's why they keep becoming my allies when I park my artillery and tanks right on their borders! :devil:

Top Bottom