American postulations of supremacy: An attempt to connect

frob2900

Deity
Sometimes I get the feeling that americans posting stuff on the internet arguing the superiority of the US over Europe w.r.t. e.g. technology, military, health care etc. are simply presenting issues to be compared and contrasted in order to allow for further dialogue.

The bombastic rhetoric in some posts often just seems like an attempt to spice up statements in order to produce more energetic initial dialogue, and as such should not at all be read as ignorance or spite, but more like a rhetorical device.

As such, this phenomenon (which sometimes seems to irk European posters) should IMHO be welcomed, since it allows dialogue/insights across the Atlantic which would otherwise often not be made.

So.. "American statements of supremacy over the internet: Possibilities for inter-Atlantic cross-cultural dialogue in the 21st century"

Discuss.

I think its just sorta this self-perpetuating cycle. Americans get annoyed by snobby eurotrash ----> Americans making snide marks about european stereotypes (wimpy, snobby, slutty girls, etc.) -----> europeans get annoyed by Americans trashing Europe ----> europeans making snide marks about americans (stupid, jingoistic, everybody's fat, etc.) ----> Americans get annoyed by snobby europeans....

Neither side is correct really, its just kinda fun.

But does the cycle stem from some deep down urge to connect?

More exactly: is it an attempt to alienate each other, or is it an attempt to get closer to each other? (however, poorly it may end up being executed)

But does the cycle stem from some deep down urge to connect?

More exactly: is it an attempt to alienate each other, or is it an attempt to get closer to each other? (however, poorly it may end up being executed)

I think its mainly an urge to annoy. Also, I think that people really do have some sort of national (or in the case of europeans, continental) pride. We don't like to admit it so we hide it behind little snide remarks and whatnot.

It fascinates me that there seems to be very little nationalistic mudslinging between the nations of western europe (random examples: UK, Germany, France, Sweden and the Netherlands). There are of course, vestigial remnants of old rivalries (english people joke about french people, but don't really mean it anymore), but these don't seem to instill the same kind of emotion as the US vs. Europe issue.

There might, however, exist some nationalistic tension between the nations of western and eastern europe (random examples: the Eurovision song contest voting patterns, the UK/russia standoff in the last weeks, and this thread).

What makes certain cultures identify with each other and then single others out as targets for criticism/jingoism?

There is still regional mudslinging in America.

North v. South

I think you are being too philospical psychological and whatever on somethings that amounts to a couple of kids on the playground yelling "my father is bigger then yours".

Obviously we really love each other, it's just that we joke about each other's stupidity/snobbiness because, hey, tradition is important.

"Friends can disagree" - Sarkozy

We might not get along always, but I dare say North America (sans Mexico) and Western Europe are closer than either are to, say, India. Sibling rivalry, but it wouldn't come to blows like it once did.

I think you are being too philospical psychological and whatever on somethings that amounts to a couple of kids on the playground yelling "my father is bigger then yours".

But I meant discourse among adults. Surely all the years spent living life after the playground must make some impact on a persons intentions when making statements?

A kid on a playground is merely trying to get a place in a pecking order that offers no other recourse than self-aggrandisement, whereas an adult discussing politics on the internet has no real possibility for social advancement through their statements.

Look at the topics we disagree on...politics and religion. When has that ever been proper dinner conversation? It's easier to argue it here then in RL.

Look at the topics we disagree on...politics and religion. When has that ever been proper dinner conversation? It's easier to argue it here then in RL.

But it is proper dinner conversation (at least where I live) to speak about politics and religion, so long as everyone is agreeing on what is being said.

Now I completely agree with you that if e.g. an american has a european over for dinner (or vice-versa) then it would be really bad manners to start aggressively debating opposite viewpoints on these issues. Which leads to the question:

Could it be that since such issues are "taboo" in everyday life, posters on the internet are attempting to fulfill a need (to actively contrast and compare opposing cultural and political viewpoints) that might otherwise not be satisfied?

Well I've met some people from Europe on CFC. A Spaniard, a Frenchman and woman, Brits of various kinds and Dutchman. We got along fine without talking about it. They may have liked talking to my gal about politics but that's because she thinks like them.

That's why we don't discuss it around my friends and hers unless they're prepared for heated and often caustic political debate.

the first thing you should know about Americans is 15% of us hate the other 85%.

second the war between the north and the south is still not over, we just on a cease fire.

most importantly, if i have ever given a remark that seemed to sound like i feel superior to any other nation, i would say it is how we have been taught to be, ever since grade school teachers will say things like "oh you chilins are so lucky to grow up in America, while chilins in (bleep) don't have a pot to cook in."

IMO we are somewhat taught to think we are superior wether it is true in that case or not, and if i give that kind of attitude i don't even know it, it's natural for me to think im better then everybody, we realy have been told that for about 40 years, but now with globalazation it is harder to accept that as a reality, but i think we can play off for at least 20 more years. :p

Hmm I would like to rescind that previous statement because it is untrue, however California's GDP is larger than all European countries not named Germany, England, France and Italy.

California's GDP is higher than France's. Woot?
Does the following reflect your above statement?
Alternate version of above quote said:
Based on the following sources <withheld>, the GDP of the state of California is larger than that of France, a major European nation. Does this fact imply that the quality of life for a Californean (and by extension any American citizen, who can freely choose to reside in California) is on average so much higher than that of a Frenchman that it is justified to exclaim 'Woot' in celebration?

Discuss.
If so, then I submit that my original thesis holds in the current case ;)

[EDIT] I see that discussion and presentation of withheld sources has already begun :) I won't edit my suggested alternate statement above, since the alterations based on the last two posts should be obvious.

But I meant discourse among adults. Surely all the years spent living life after the playground must make some impact on a persons intentions when making statements?

A kid on a playground is merely trying to get a place in a pecking order that offers no other recourse than self-aggrandisement, whereas an adult discussing politics on the internet has no real possibility for social advancement through their statements.

Childhood = Adulthood

Real citizen = Netizen

I'm not saying those statements are true, but think about those statments from a psycological standpoint.

College professor like people who talk and speak up, then i'll talk in class = Hey, I got 10,000 posts! (?)

Top Bottom