American Respect....

Do you feel America is more/less respected today than a couple years ago?

• Total voters
you're trusting a poll about how we believe how other people perceive b.o. as representative of the true perception the world has on b.o.?

child, please

And here I think Happy knocks it out of the park. There is definitely a difference in being liked....and being respected. Excellent point. :goodjob:

...except the OP is talking about being respected in turns of the standing of the leadership, so that's irrelevant, or otherwise dodging the question. It's also false, as noted before and shown in evidence through actual polls regarding world opinion of US leadership.

Whether people realize it or not, the economy is extremely important in how people view the government.

Given that Obama is closer to Europeans in political ideology than Bush was in all three fields - diplomacy, economics and social views - I think it's a fairly good guess to say the United States is more respected.

Though since I don't approve of the USA becoming Europe 2.0, I'm not going to say that's necessarily a good thing. I think Obama's going in the right direction by trying to work with other countries; I think it's the wrong direction to not be assertive or just being submissive, however. The whole point of mutual interest is actually, you know, promoting your country's interest as well as the other country's.

Whether people realize it or not, the economy is extremely important in how people view the government.

Yes, but this thread is about foreigners' approval of governments, not citizens, of which it is certainly not even remotely the only factor. Brazil and Mexico had higher approval ratings in 2008, despite being much poorer than the US.

I don't give a crap what the rest of the world thinks of me or my nation.

yeah, which is why this is actually a topic being discussed here.

Yes, but this thread is about foreigners' approval of governments, not citizens, of which it is certainly not even remotely the only factor. Brazil and Mexico had higher approval ratings in 2008, despite being much poorer than the US.

Bill I would say 'America' is inclusive of both its government and its citizens.

Ooo, that reminds me!

On the issue of people not respecting our citizenry...

Screw them. Pure and simple. Judging our government is one thing and can be done fairly accurately, but if you judge an entire nation without meeting a fairly-large amount of people from it, well, you're just prejudiced. Some Europeans like to call us soooo backwards, but when they themselves show ignorance and prejudice, it's the pot calling the kettle freaking black.

To Europeans who actually are rational and don't have their heads up their asses, and know how to keep judgement of a people(which is still kind of silly, even AFTER you've met a large amount of them, given individual variation) separated from judgement of their government, kudos to you. :goodjob:

Ooo, that reminds me!

On the issue of people not respecting our citizenry...

Screw them. Pure and simple. Judging our government is one thing and can be done fairly accurately, but if you judge an entire nation without meeting a fairly-large amount of people from it, well, you're just prejudiced. Some Europeans like to call us soooo backwards, but when they themselves show ignorance and prejudice, it's the pot calling the kettle freaking black.

To Europeans who actually are rational and don't have their heads up their asses, and know how to keep judgement of a people(which is still kind of silly, even AFTER you've met a large amount of them, given individual variation) separated from judgement of their government, kudos to you. :goodjob:

would it be awkward if I said that you just did what them darn Uropeeans supposedly do? only difference is that you just bundled together a whole lot of countries, people and governments (admittedly, not the size of the US but a goshdurn lot older the lot of them)?

gonna remove that head from my behind now, sorry.

would it be awkward if I said that you just did what them darn Uropeeans supposedly do? only difference is that you just bundled together a whole lot of countries, people and governments (admittedly, not the size of the US but a goshdurn lot older the lot of them)?

gonna remove that head from my behind now, sorry.

Taniciusfox said:
Some Europeans

Emphasis on that. ;) NOWHERE did I judge an entire people.

Not all Europeans are the same. There's as many arrogant Europeans as arrogant Americans(no, there is no "moral high ground"... morality is a relative value and does not compute). Just as there are as many friendly Europeans as friendly Americans. The worst of any group just seem larger than they actually are because they draw the most attention.

I think it is to early to tell whether Obama has had a positive impact the world's "respect" for America (like or approval is a better word). I would however say that Obama is a charismatic leader and he knows how to move an audience.

He's "not Bush". That automatically increases how well people like us. :mischief:

Emphasis on that. ;) NOWHERE did I judge an entire people.

and I never judged the entirety of the USA citizens so we are cool ;)

you all lick monkey tail, though, mind you. wait! who wrote that?

More respected, though there are still morons out there that still hold the America is evil and should not be respected mantra. Though honetly they have never met an American and only rely on negative steryotypes spoon fed to them in the media.

Why exactly should America be respected?

If you don't, we'll nuke your buns off

USA #1

Obama is getting what he deserves after he created all that "hope" hype. I am surprised that the Americans are surprised that he didn't solve all of America's problems by simply entering the Oval Office and swinging a magic wand.

It is quite funny - idiots on one side calling the other side idiots for voting in bush, yet those same idiots voted a man in based off "Hope and change".

Idiots.

Most of the people who voted for Obama did so because he was the best of a limited range of choices. That's not true of Bush.

Top Bottom