1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

American Respect....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MobBoss, Mar 9, 2010.

?

Do you feel America is more/less respected today than a couple years ago?

1. American - More respected.

29.6%
  2. American - Less respected.

10.4%
  3. Non-American - More respected.

32.2%
  4. Non-American - Less respected.

8.7%
  5. About the same. New boss is the same as the old boss.

19.1%
  1. JerichoHill

JerichoHill Bedrock of Knowledge

you're trusting a poll about how we believe how other people perceive b.o. as representative of the true perception the world has on b.o.?

child, please

2. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

...except the OP is talking about being respected in turns of the standing of the leadership, so that's irrelevant, or otherwise dodging the question. It's also false, as noted before and shown in evidence through actual polls regarding world opinion of US leadership.

3. h4ppy

h4ppy You sir, pineapple?

Whether people realize it or not, the economy is extremely important in how people view the government.

4. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Billions and Billions

Given that Obama is closer to Europeans in political ideology than Bush was in all three fields - diplomacy, economics and social views - I think it's a fairly good guess to say the United States is more respected.

Though since I don't approve of the USA becoming Europe 2.0, I'm not going to say that's necessarily a good thing. I think Obama's going in the right direction by trying to work with other countries; I think it's the wrong direction to not be assertive or just being submissive, however. The whole point of mutual interest is actually, you know, promoting your country's interest as well as the other country's.

5. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

Yes, but this thread is about foreigners' approval of governments, not citizens, of which it is certainly not even remotely the only factor. Brazil and Mexico had higher approval ratings in 2008, despite being much poorer than the US.

6. scherbchen

scherbchen well that can´t be good

yeah, which is why this is actually a topic being discussed here.

7. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Bill I would say 'America' is inclusive of both its government and its citizens.

8. Tani Coyote

Ooo, that reminds me!

On the issue of people not respecting our citizenry...

Screw them. Pure and simple. Judging our government is one thing and can be done fairly accurately, but if you judge an entire nation without meeting a fairly-large amount of people from it, well, you're just prejudiced. Some Europeans like to call us soooo backwards, but when they themselves show ignorance and prejudice, it's the pot calling the kettle freaking black.

To Europeans who actually are rational and don't have their heads up their asses, and know how to keep judgement of a people(which is still kind of silly, even AFTER you've met a large amount of them, given individual variation) separated from judgement of their government, kudos to you. :goodjob:

9. scherbchen

would it be awkward if I said that you just did what them darn Uropeeans supposedly do? only difference is that you just bundled together a whole lot of countries, people and governments (admittedly, not the size of the US but a goshdurn lot older the lot of them)?

gonna remove that head from my behind now, sorry.

10. Tani Coyote

Emphasis on that. ;) NOWHERE did I judge an entire people.

Not all Europeans are the same. There's as many arrogant Europeans as arrogant Americans(no, there is no "moral high ground"... morality is a relative value and does not compute). Just as there are as many friendly Europeans as friendly Americans. The worst of any group just seem larger than they actually are because they draw the most attention.

11. wicshade

wicshade crazy, militant farmer

I think it is to early to tell whether Obama has had a positive impact the world's "respect" for America (like or approval is a better word). I would however say that Obama is a charismatic leader and he knows how to move an audience.

12. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

He's "not Bush". That automatically increases how well people like us. :mischief:

13. scherbchen

and I never judged the entirety of the USA citizens so we are cool ;)

you all lick monkey tail, though, mind you. wait! who wrote that?

14. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    More respected, though there are still morons out there that still hold the America is evil and should not be respected mantra. Though honetly they have never met an American and only rely on negative steryotypes spoon fed to them in the media.

If you don't, we'll nuke your buns off

USA #1

15. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

I voted

New boss is the same as the old boss.

whats changed?

16. Labtec600

Labtec600 Emperor

It is quite funny - idiots on one side calling the other side idiots for voting in bush, yet those same idiots voted a man in based off "Hope and change".

Idiots.

17. Cutlass

Most of the people who voted for Obama did so because he was the best of a limited range of choices. That's not true of Bush.

18. Labtec600

Labtec600 Emperor

Whats the excuse for 2004?

19. Cutlass

Same thing. Kerry was far better than Bush. He just wasn't able to make a campaign work.

20. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Then apparently he was far worse than Bush at least in that aspect...