American Universities will now be all white and Asian

The US should really start with having their primary and secondary schools funded by the state, and not through property taxes.

Also doing away with home schooling and private universities, and automatically linking admissions to GPA would do wonders.

Then look into affirmative action again if the above doesn't have a big enough equalising effect.

Also doing away with home schooling and private universities
Honestly, I think these things are not so relevant and perhaps more symptomatic than causal for the problems in the US and its education system.

Home schooling is less than 5% of the school population, is as far as I can see mostly prevalent among the middle class religious white population and most of them end up fine.

Some amount of private universities is not so bad in a system that generally functions well. Good publicly owned universities mostly prevent market failure. It is just important to ensure regulations regarding quality control, anti-trust and truth in advertising.
The Netherlands, for example, has several non-profit privately-owned publicly-financed universities (mostly originating from the various religious movements) and even some true private universities.

My rationale is that they don't need help, they're doing fine and there are many people of all races doing worse.

But why? Why only seek justice and equality for those at the bottom of the ladder? Middle class parents can't guarantee their children will be middle class, and barriers to accessing higher education will only make it more difficult for them to do so.

But why? Why only seek justice and equality for those at the bottom of the ladder? Middle class parents can't guarantee their children will be middle class, and barriers to accessing higher education will only make it more difficult for them to do so.
Because they don't need advantages to have a good shot at success. They can get into higher education with or without AA. It's not "just" to give them these advantages.

Hispanics don't face anywhere near the level of discrimination that the black population in the US does. Hispanics, as a group, actually assimilate quite well in the US, and any good longitudinal study of Hispanic immigrants is going to show you that the socio-economic problems they face as a group are confined almost entirely to the first generation. If you look at the outcomes for the second generation and beyond the gaps between Hispanics and whites shrink considerably.

*THAT* is the difference between people like me and people like you on matters of race in America. My beliefs aren't reflexive, and they aren't born out of tribalism. I'm as white as they come and I live in the heart of Trump Country in rural PA FFS.

What I have done is read Harvard Law's study of sentencing practices in the US from 1960-2000 which demonstrated black defendants get 40%(!) longer sentences compared to other races (whites, Asians, latinos, you name it). They are also far more likely to catch felony charges for crimes which other races are routinely able to plea to misdemeanors. This is done to systematically exclude blacks from voting in states that disenfranchise felons.

I'm well informed enough to know that, by the Federal Housing Administration's own admission, banks could not extend mortgages to blacks looking to buy homes in white neighborhoods because the FHA refused to insure the mortgages. I'm also well informed enough to know that the practice of using property tax to fund schools ensure that poor kids (who are disproportionately black in US #1 - this is also something you can learn if you care to) get substandard educations as a matter of course.

If you can't find decent work because you've got a felony conviction for a crime that would get anyone else a misdemeanor you are shut out of decent employment in the US, essentially for life. If you can't move out of the ghetto because no one will sell you a home in a better neighborhood and your kids always end up in poor schools as a result then you get a cycle of poverty. It's not a cultural problem on the part of the black community. They are systematically shut out.
If I wanted to learn more about this, which studies should I read?
* It doesn't help those people actually completing college, which is another major source of racial disparity.
Why is this? Why would completion rates differ?
(Note from abroad, places like the Netherlands and Germany run quite decent universities with essentially universal admission of applicants with a high school certificate)
Do places like the Netherlands and Germany have racial disparities in university entrance/graduation?

Overall you raised some very good points though. Personally, I think universities are a bit over-rated, but I guess that discussion belongs to another thread.

Nice in theory. It didn't work out this way in reality. Social welfare and public services were increased, and the racial disparity continued to exist.
I'm pretty doubtful that the US ever had an actual efficient social service dealing with wealth redistribution.
You're also unintentionally advocating for far more invasive practices than affirmative action, and I doubt many here would disagree with your suggestion. Specifically increase funding and services for demographics that are discriminated against due to race? They'd sign up for that in a heartbeat. Except now you're advocating for "more schools specifically for black/hispanic people". Seems "fundamentally racist" to me if we're applying your standards to the idea here.
I don't really see where you saw I advocated for services "for demographics that are discriminated due to race". Because my point was the opposite : ignore race, redistribute wealth. You can't measure race (unless you become racist and then the whole "fighting racism" becomes meaningless), but you can measure income. Helps those who ACTUALLY NEED IT, instead of helping those you consider being part of a selected "race". It's less racist, it's more efficient, and, incidentally, it's more just (isn't that the core point ? Being "more just" ? Because I mean, if we don't care about justice, why should we care about racism and "races" being disadvantaged after all ?).
Affirmative action is a discriminatory practice. It is self-described as such. If you take your fingers out of your ears after hearing that, you would then learn why this discriminatory practice exists. It does not exist to hurt people. It exists to make an attempt at equalizing opportunity that didn't previously exist between demographics. We don't live in a colour-blind world and pretending we do is inane.
Except positive discrimination is still unjust. It's still a bit like saying "hey, black people tend to get disproportionnally higher penalties than others, so let's just randomly throw others in prison to compensate".

As usual, the problem is losing the very underlying point of an ideology by trying to make it win at the cost of itself. You can't ask for justice by being unjust, you can't ask for the end of racism by making everything about race and so on.

Why is this? Why would completion rates differ?

Scholarships and grants often only last for a limited amount of time. If you get into college and have your first year covered, you better hope you can get new scholarships for the following years or else you can be forced to drop out simply because a scholarship got you through the door and no further.

Depending on the school and your tuition, you can get around this issue by excelling at an extracurricular. A friend of mine got through college in Michigan almost entirely through debate scholarships.

Except positive discrimination is still unjust. It's still a bit like saying "hey, black people tend to get disproportionnally higher penalties than others, so let's just randomly throw others in prison to compensate".

Why do you think black people and hispanic people going to college is equivalent to wrongful imprisonment of whites?

Why do you think black people and hispanic people going to college is equivalent to wrongful imprisonment of whites?
Sorry, I won't take your bait of playing dumb by purposely missing the point.

Sorry, I won't take your bait of playing dumb by purposely missing the point.

It's not really bait. You specifically compared lessening the racial education disparity to imprisoning white people in order to reduce racial incarceration disparity.

That's not even playing dumb here, that's downright trolling.
Expected more from a previous mod. Shouldn't have.

LOL YEAH YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER OMG, WTH! XD

To be fair though, I think the example was pretty bad either way, even if we ignore Synsensa's sudden inability to understand that the example was about the implications of affirmative action, not about "black people and hispanic people going to college".

The thing about affirmative action is that it works in a system where slots are limited, so the discrimination that happens against the majority group is passive, and not the "goal" of the system. It is simply a result of a system where now more people are potentially able to join the university*.

In the prison example, you have an easy alternative to equalize things - by just reducing the penalties you dish out towards black people to the same penalties you dish out towards white people - and adding more white people to the prison system doesn't change anything.

(*By the way, the same thing would happen if we just increased the quality of the schools in poor areas. Because while these slots are currently "reserved" exclusively to black people, the situation where any individual cannot get to university because of that, is one where they were already at the bottom of the list of those who would have been accepted in a system without affirmative action. Thus, if poor areas were to become competitive, their fate would be the same.)

That's not even playing dumb here, that's downright trolling.

Is it trolling? It seems to be an accurate assessment of your statement. In a discussion about a policy that primarily increases enrollment of blacks, hispanics, and natives in college you made a comparison that it is "a bit like" increasing incarceration of non-black people to match the incarceration rate of black people, as though going to college and being imprisoned are even remotely similar concepts.

You want more people in college, not less. You want less people in prison, not more. In both scenarios there is a racial disparity: less discriminated-against demographics in college, more discriminated-against demographics in prison. The simplistic solutions to both are opposites of each other: more discriminated-against people in college, less discriminated-against people in prison. Your "a bit like" analogy fails because your comparison is an opposite even if we were to take the comparison in good faith (and not a weird equating of college enrollment vs. incarceration).

What are you saying if not that? If you find my question leading, then you might consider rephrasing.

I don't really see where you saw I advocated for services "for demographics that are discriminated due to race". Because my point was the opposite : ignore race, redistribute wealth. You can't measure race (unless you become racist and then the whole "fighting racism" becomes meaningless), but you can measure income. Helps those who ACTUALLY NEED IT, instead of helping those you consider being part of a selected "race". It's less racist, it's more efficient, and, incidentally, it's more just (isn't that the core point ? Being "more just" ? Because I mean, if we don't care about justice, why should we care about racism and "races" being disadvantaged after all ?).

This is based on a fairy tale, though. Even accounting for wealth, demographics targeted by affirmative action are still at a disadvantage compared to (primarily) whites. A poor white man and a poor black man are both poor, yet the black man will face harsher odds statistically. On average, demographics targeted by affirmative action are also less well off than those that aren't. That's pretty much why affirmative action exists. It's not some arbitrary blessing from the heavens for a random skin colour.

Released last year, a study confirms that race matters when looking at income and financial mobility within the US.

Additional academic work: http://www.equality-of-opportunity.org/assets/documents/race_paper.pdf | Bite-sized presentation: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...arceration-income-chetty-hendren-jones-porter

Just about any "focus on the income!" idea will inevitably impact discriminated-against populations most if the goal is correcting racial disparity. Which is great, but a lot of these initiatives would require specific focus on those demographics, thereby defeating the intent behind your "focus on the income!" idea (i.e. that positive discrimination is bad and affirmative action is bad).

Your idea, by the way, has already been addressed: https://www.ets.org/Media/Research/pdf/reardon_white_paper.pdf

The results of our simulations suggest at least three important patterns: (a) even relatively aggressive SES-based affirmative action policies do not mimic the effects of race-based policies on racial diversity; likewise race-based affirmative action policies do not mimic the effects of SES-based policies on SES diversity; (b) there is little evidence of any systemic mismatch induced by affirmative action policies; students who benefit from affirmative action are not, on average, admitted to colleges for which they are under-qualified; and (c) the use of affirmative action policies by some colleges affects enrollment patterns in other colleges as well. Kahlenberg (1996) has argued that “class-based preferences provide a constitutional way to achieve greater racial and ethnic diversity” (p. 1064).

Yet, based on our simulations, SES-based affirmative action policies do not seem likely to be effective at producing racial diversity. The SES-based affirmative action policies we simulated are fairly aggressive in terms of the weight they give to SES, and they had large effects on socioeconomic diversity, so their failure to produce substantial increases in racial diversity at elite colleges is not a result of tepid implementation. These results are consistent with Sander (1997), who found that SES-based affirmative action at the UCLA law school did not produce the levels of diversity achieved under race-based affirmative action policies.

[...]

Until racial disparities in educational preparation are eliminated, then, other strategies are needed. Our analysis here suggests that affirmative action policies based on socioeconomic status are unlikely to achieve meaningful increases in racial diversity. That is not to say that socioeconomic affirmative action would not be valuable in its own right—it would increase socioeconomic diversity on university campuses and would benefit low-income college applicants—but only that it is not an effective or efficient means to achieving racial diversity. Race-conscious affirmative action does, however, increase racial diversity effectively at the schools that use it. Although imperfect, it may be the best strategy we currently have.

Why would this be the real question?
And I think it's an overblown question at that. I only have my own experience to go by but the vast majority of my graduating class stayed in Missouri after graduation.

Because they don't need advantages to have a good shot at success. They can get into higher education with or without AA. It's not "just" to give them these advantages.

What if their economic status doesn't afford them the same shot at success as a similarly situated white person would have? Would it not be "just" to make their chances more even, to have a society with more equality between races? And if not - why not?

What if their economic status doesn't afford them the same shot at success as a similarly situated white person would have? Would it not be "just" to make their chances more even, to have a society with more equality between races? And if not - why not?
Because we don't know by how much their race is harming them, and we do know that for sure different individuals will be affected differently by their race. So giving some arbitrary bonus to minorities is not really fair. I'd rather not create a discriminatory measure to help people that are already doing fine.

I'm a Hispanic who never experienced even the slightest racism in the US. I've had all opportunities in the world. Why should I get affirmative action if I applied to some US college back in the day? Because Hispanics are underrepresented in US colleges? How does that matter to my particular case? It's obviously unfair to give me any admission bonuses.

Last edited:
I'm a Hispanic who never experienced even the slightest racism in the US. I've had all opportunities in their world. Why should I get affirmative action if I applied to some US college back in the day? Because Hispanics are underrepresented in US colleges? How does that matter to my particular case? It's obviously unfair to give me any admission bonuses.

Why are you racist against hispanics? ;)

Anyway, imo it might be good, in local cases, to promote enrolment of minorities to university, but it can very easily lead to more problems than it tries to help solve (unfairness to other people, eg low income 'majority' group)

Top Bottom