1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Americans see fat as normal as weights rise: study

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ValentinianIII, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Cannae

Cannae Philosophy of Poverty

Simple. Under my version of nationalised helath care tax payers would not have to pay for things like smoking, obestity and in some cases drinking. The people who do these things should pay themselves and do not deserve care untill they have kicked the bucket for an extended period of time.

2. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

I dunno. I don't think there's a correlation between whether people pay their own medical bills and their health. People getting public insurance or paying their own insurance seem to have the same latent levels of healthy-lifestyles. I could be wrong, it's just the 'vibe' I'm working with

3. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

Fatness being socially contagious was also revealed a month or so ago by a different study:

http://www.livescience.com/health/070725_fat_friends.html

4. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

I've been trying to say that for so long. Socialized medicine isn't going to get Americans to eat heathier and get off the couch or get us to walk more instead of driving places, so Americans will still be less healthy than Europeans. Changing our lifestyle will have a much bigger impact on our health than making a huge overhaul of our health care system.

5. El_Machinae

Clearly better health choices would benefit the health budgets. Even better, so many other fields and areas of the economy would improve too. Heck, losing 100lbs will save $40 in gas every year.

6. LordRahl

LordRahl The Objectivist

Wrong. If you're paying for it - you start caring about it. If it's "free" - you have that much less incentive to care. Think driving company car, vs. your own car.

7. El_Machinae

I understand the theory, but I don't think that people really judge their long-term health according to those criteria (or at least, they don't weigh those criteria strongly enough to matter). What I mean is that people aren't factoring in the dollar costs they'll suffer in 30 years when they sit at the couch watching TV and eating Doritos, and so they're not too worried if they're paying the insurance or on the public dime.

I'm suggesting that if people are paying their own insurance, or if someone else is paying their insurance, I wouldn't expect a significant different in health factors. I know it makes sense that people would care if they're paying, but I don't think they do. People don't worry about their health (it seems) because of the cost of future medical bills: they worry about health for its own sake.

8. wicshade

wicshade crazy, militant farmer

as i thought more and more about OP, America actualy looks down at overwhieght people more then it used to, it used to be desiarable for a women to be thick in all places, it was even a symbol of wealth

today being overwheight is actualy looked at completely opposite,
    1, People think fat people are poor/lazy/undisaplined/unhealthy and only eat the McDonalds dollar menu
    2, Men seem to won't a thin woman over a thick one.

and today women stress a great deal about keeping thin and such, so it seems to me that people actualy repel oeverwhietness, though it is more comon in some places for people to be fat.

I realy don't see how anybody can see how society is accepting fatness, it is actualy more discriminated against now then it ever has been befor.

9. Narz

Narz keeping it real

10. Snowball

Snowball Chauvinist Pig

I've found its not due to poor eating habits, but rather lack of exercise that is the main contributing factor. I'm 5-10, 125 lbs., and eat usually twice the amount people my same age eat. The difference is, I run 7-10 miles a day.

11. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

I agree with the above statement.

12. Narz

Narz keeping it real

The difference is, you're probably also a teenager. ;)

13. West 36

West 36 Can count up to 4

So, does this mean the terrorists are winning?

14. drachasor

drachasor The Undying Flame

I strongly disagree. In fact, this is another reason to support Socialized Medicine. In such a system the PEOPLE are directly responsible and directly pay the costs of health care. That means we are going to have a lot more incentive for preventative health measures (such as better food standards, more research into making healthier food and medicines to help with this).

In a private system, with the profits in the hands of private corporations, they have very little incentive to pursue this, and in fact have a lot of incentives to discourage health improvements. Society still has to pay the costs (in a more individual manner), but now the costs stay high since the incentives to lower them aren't in effective places. That drags society down, and the expenditure of energy could be better spent elsewhere.

In any case, widespread health problems are ALWAYS a good reason to support a more socialized healthcare system, economically speaking.

-Drachasor

15. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Interesting Drachasor. Never heard it put quite that way before but it makes sense.

16. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

Well if we didn't have this "being overweight is a life choice and thus should be accepted along with all other life choices" garbage, this wouldn't be the case!

17. TheBoatman

TheBoatman Warlord

As snowball said, exercise is the key. Walking is a nice start for people who didn't do any sport before and any faster activity would destroy their joints. If you are only a bit overweight you can start any sport you want.

Just a note: the article states arithmetic mean of weight, but that mathematicaly means that >50% of people are lighter than the figure stated.

Ad health care: I agree with obligatory insurance covering basic medical treatment and voluntary insurace covering above standard care. Boni and mali for lifestyle and prevention are a nice idea as well.