1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Americans- Unfare Advantage?

Discussion in 'Other Civ-Related Games' started by Communisto, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

Is it just me or are the Americans in TaP unfairly dominant i mean First wonder built insantly? what the hell! Free govs, automatically one scholar +3 food, timber, metal AND wealth for every non scout barracks unit! It's so weird! that's a huge mistake on the game's part

2. Amenhotep7

Amenhotep7 Spartiate

Well how else is America supposed to become a superpower.:mischief:

Altho I agree, it is a little...breakable...

3. LLXerxes

LLXerxes Space Travel is Boring

In RL they are pretty good, at most things :p
    But, they are just sweet. :D

(BTW, you can simply not use them in a game)

4. AxelUnknown111

AxelUnknown111 Chieftain

I think that sounds like a little much for one country. But then again, America is a superpower by a pretty good margin. I guess the makers of the game are trying to make it as relistic as possible. (They may have gone a little overbored though)

How much of an advantage do they have in the begining of the game, like the Ancient Era or the Gunpowder????

5. deo

deo Chieftain

Americans created this game ;)

6. LLXerxes

LLXerxes Space Travel is Boring

point?
    Americans created Civ, and in CIv3 the americans stink

7. Sargon of Agade

Sargon of Agade Lvl 40 Troll Shaman

I think the Americans do get a little too much of an advantage from the enlightenment age on. I would either curb the resource per barrack unit to 1 or 2, or have it go to citizens, because you have alot of citizens but there just seems so much to abuse with the barrack units gathering for free like that. I would get rid of the first wonder built instantly thing, and give tem a boost to the metal and oil commerce cap... Hopefully some balancing will be done with a patch, if they do patch it I think they should give India more UUs, I just don't see how they would be any good at this piont... Buts thats another subject.

8. covok48

covok48 Chieftain

I agree. I usually avoid playing them because they have such an advantage, but until the gunpowder age they are fair game still.

9. Ulrich.forever

Ulrich.forever Chieftain

The Americans, though they are a superpower in real life, are much to powerful in game. The game should have all civs at the same chance to win any one game.

10. FuRRie

FuRRie Chieftain

Use Egypt and see Americans getting pwnd :)

11. dreamnexus

dreamnexus Chieftain

americans are good, but romans are much better.

12. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

You'll have to post your reasons for why you think this. I'm going to need convincing. How well can the Romans' bonuses exploit other nations' weaknesses?

13. dreamnexus

dreamnexus Chieftain

well i like the romans because they're good for so many different things:

1) They are awesome for rushing (the praetorians guards are deadly)
    2) Early gold means that u can put a barracks up early (with ur timber) and send about 3-4 archers (timber and gold) to raid around 4 mins w/o it having any neg effect on ur ability to boom.
    3) Wealth is never a problem, so they are good boomers as well. some people will point out that americans get +3 metal, etc for every barracks unit, but thats not an issue when i play with the romans because my economy is always maxed out.
    4) With the romans i out boomed the american computer on tougher and annihalted him. And with the romans, i forced armageddon against a toughest American computer (should've won that game, but made a couple of critical mistakes)

but i guess its just whichever nation u're used to. But the main thing is, typically u can tell what a person is going to do when he picks a nation but with the romans, they're good at both rushing and booming, so u don't know what you're gonna get.

14. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

Sounds like you're a much better player than I am. My best efforts have been wins on tough 1v1 and tougher 2v2, SP only. I rarely rush, prefering to build/defend before aggressively going after the enemy.

15. Telvanni

Telvanni Chieftain

You should remember that they were'nt included in the original game, reason: Because they only wanted the greatest nations of all time to be in the game! ;) That's hillarious! of course alot o' U.S.-players got weird cause of that reason, and they complained. So maybe it's like an excuse??
    The thing that counter the American bonuses, is the common dislike of anyone ├╝ber, so eventually players will team up against em'! :king:

16. gimhalos

gimhalos Chieftain

Nah.... it's bantu u gotta watch out for... Americans may have extra resources... but I've managed to get +999 to everything without them several times.... the wonder isn't a big deal, govt stuff doesn't cost a whole lot.

What really sucks is when Bantu knock on your door with an army 3 times the size of yours.

17. warix

warix Chieftain

The bantu drop like flies though - a coupole well placed cannons and they're all over the place. However, to the US thing, they are defidently an economic superpower, but offensively a little weak. Get them early and you'll hae the upper hand. Especially if you lvl up right before them.

Military Strategy will neat the US time and time again. If you can't take em early, at least raid they're resources.

Egypt, the Romans, and the Bantu are good against the Americans.

18. xyourxmomxcorex

xyourxmomxcorex Pwnage

Not really. In RON, games, nations have much greater spefic agvantages then in CIV.

19. Tank_Guy#3

Tank_Guy#3 Lion of Lehistan

By following my way to power, an army several times larger than my enemy and grind him into oblivion. Or just nuke the hell out of them (yes I know about the Armageddon Countdown).

20. chanman

chanman Chieftain

The Chinese ability to pop out settlers (is that what they're still called) instantly comes in pretty dang handy too - been a while since I've played RoN.