America's UU: What should it be?

What UU fits America best?

• Gatling Gun, upgrading Cannons, Stats 0/(10)/1, with lethal bombardment, cost of 60 shields

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheOverseer714

Overseer
In another thread, which was about the F-15, a discussion arose about alternate UU's. Here is a link to that thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=308298

The discussion mentioned several ideas about the alternates, and I've created a poll with some ideas. Vote for what you think makes the best UU for America and hopefully post why you voted for your choice.

I voted minuteman (even though my civ V idea sketch has F-15) gatling guns and F-15's ain't that unique, supercarrier or B-52 seem to powerful, and sherman tank would be a little weak. how about bon jovi, doesn't replace any thing and makes everyone in that city happy?

I think it's simple really (as if there existed a "correct" answer to this question). America's UU should be the "Little Boy". When used against an AI, they will immediately make peace with you and accede to whatever demands you give them... including all of their cities.

101st Airborne - paradrop unit - special ability - invisible during initial IBT, acts/becomes a visible unit at beginning of next turn.

A cavalry replacement would fit quite nice I think. But I am not sure how exactly to change the stats, much is already taken.

Maybe it should treat hills and forests as flat terrain, and get higher defensive stats, if fortified, say 6/4/3. That way it would be a little bit more mobile, and could be used a little bit more effectively on defense.

America's UU should be the "Barack O-Bomber". It flies over your cities and increases their gold output if they have a bank, corporation or the wall street wonder. However, all your luxuries disappear and workers sit increasingly idle. You must be in Republic to build this unit.

Feel free to list extended functionalities....

In CCM one of the unique US units is the US Cavalry, combined with the cavalry attack-sound of Civ 2.

The US Cavalry is an important part of tons of films and mostly had a prominent role. Also it is a "more early" unit for the US. I can´t understand, why this prominent and interesting unit is so much neclected by the civ-modders.

Here is the wondersplash for the US-wonder that produces additional US Cavalry units:

I like the Sherman idea, but I'd vote for a Marine substitute with a higher attack rating. I guess that would be like a SEAL :p The F-15 would be acceptable if the bonus was added to the 'air superiority' stat, not the bombing stat. No one uses bombers to bomb, they use them to defend!

I say all of the above. Except, musketmen should be replaced with Continentals, and minutemen are draft units. Supercarriers actually carry less planes than the regular carriers of WWII, since the planes are now much larger. I would make the new bomber the B-29 Superfortress, the planes that dropped the Atomic bombs.

I have actually made a mod for myself that has most of those in it, but the planes and tanks have stats based off of my unit conversion equasions.

I really like the idea of a Sherman tank. In the context of Civ3, it will not be a stellar attacker but a cheaper unit, perhaps no requirement for Rubber to build. Something of mass produced beast in the IA than a high end one.

Tank
100 Shields 16/8/2 Oil, Rubber
Panzer Tank
100 Shields 16/8/3 Oil, Rubber
Sherman Tank
80 Shields 15/7/2 Oil

In my personal mod I gave them an infantry UU, I just like seeing G.Is run around everywhere I guess :)

How can you make a tank without rubber??? I know, it's a gameplay idea, not a simulation.

I voted for Minuteman. That captures a part, largely forgotten, of American history. Since it is a Musket upgrade, it would be used quite a bit. And that was my key deciding factor. Would the unit be used or not.

I think the Super Carrier does a better job of representing America's emergence as a world power, given the eventual dominance of the Aircraft Carrier in WWII Pacific combat, but it comes too late to be used in most games.

The Sherman wasn't that great a Tank, though we did make lots of them.

The US has developed a new weapon that destroys all the people but leaves the infrastructure intact. They're calling it "Wall Street"...;)

The Iowa Class Battleships fought in 5 different decades.

20/14/7 and maybe lethal bombard.

I've put a Flying Fortress (a bomber with extra defense -- see the B-17 of WW2) into my game, but have yet to try it out.

I would vote Marine, Navy SEAL, Sherman Tank, M1 Abrams tank.

I think the idea behind the UU is to emphasize one that greatly influenced a civilization's place within the world at its time. Really, on a grand level, I would say that Cavalry did much to expand the United States frontier, conquer a lot of former Mexican and Native American territory, and even helped in some of the overseas colonization (Cuba, Philippeans.. although those are now only history). Without them, I'd say the United States would look much different today than it does.

I'd propose a US Cav unit that, perhaps, like the explorer treats all tiles as if they're roaded. It would be a brutal unit in that brief interval between the advent of military tradition and discovery of steam power and rails. Maybe just make it a 6/3/2 to kinda balance out the extra movement, so that it retains excellent penetration into enemy territory, though it can't get away quite as easily when an attack is made on the first turn. Maybe give it extra retreat potential too... I dunno. Or just an extra HP like MIs get.

I suppose much the same could be said of the minuteman... though really those were just musketeers IMO. Maybe make them cheaper or make them draftable, I dunno. It'd be interesting...

Top Bottom