amphibious attack

karlkrlarsson

Chieftain
What are the benefits of attacking directly from a boat transport?

I have seen the AI do this sometimes, and I saw Sissyutil do it in a ACL game once.

I thought you got penalties from doing this. Isn't it always just better to disembark?

KK

What are the benefits of attacking directly from a boat transport?

I have seen the AI do this sometimes, and I saw Sissyutil do it in a ACL game once.

I thought you got penalties from doing this. Isn't it always just better to disembark?

KK

Speed and surprise. Much or most of the time it's better to disembark.

Thank you. Best Axident I have had in a long time.

KK

Another benefit when you`re attacking directly from a boat is that your wounded units cannot be targeted by enemy land units if they have retreated back aboard the vessel they came from.

In CIV3 amphibious units had a bonus when attacking from the sea. Are there any such boni in Civ4?

it's the other way around actually. Defense unit gets +50% when attackers attack from the sea, making a sea attack more difficult. The promotion "ambiphious" neutralize this bonus.

Also the vikings and americans are best at amphibious landing because their unique units start with it. All marines start with amphibious, but the american seals also start with 1-2 extra first strikes and march which helps heal afterwards.

Remember that amphibious assaults are essential for a good military strategy, especially if you are attacking another continent or island (Archipelago, Fractal, Continents)

Anytime you can actually beat the unit in the city without disembarking, it's better not to disembark. Disembarking carries several disadvantages and only one advantage (the elimination of the amphibious penalty) compared to attacking from the sea. These disadvantages include delaying the attack for a turn, leaving your units exposed to enemy attack (think stacks of siege units thrown at you before you get to attack the city), and increased unit support (one turn extra in enemy territory, and when attacking from the sea, all the units that attacked earlier get to move into the city, too). If you can overcome the one advantage, say because your CR3 Grenadier is up against an unpromoted longbow on flatland and you've removed the city's culture defense, why in the world would you want to disembark?

Also, if you plan it properly, your amphibious attack is only a spearhead, and you can follow it with ships full of other attackers, who can push inland that same turn.

Top Bottom