Amra's ALH Modpack for v1.61 (using Animated Leaderheads)

Amra

the Lion
Amra's ALH Modpack v1.80 (Final for Vanilla Civ4 v1.61)
All civilizations in this modpack have animated leaderheads and 2 Unique Units.
This modpack is for Sid Meier's Civilization IV version 1.61

Visit this link for the Warlords version

I made this modpack for myself to enjoy and thought I would share. My goal is to provide a simple free expansion pack including more civs, extra units, popular interface changes & graphical tweaks that do not drastically change gameplay, only enhance it. I have had fun creating this modpack and hope others will will have fun playing it. This is not necessarily an accurate recreation of recorded history right down to the last painstaking detail, as evidenced by the Hyborian civ & some of the animals.

Description/List of Mods Included (see individual readme files for more info)
- 30 new civs with animated leaderheads (many with different animations)
- 125 new units including 2nd Unique Unit for ALL civs
- 45 new Great People with GP mod art & quotes
- First contact dialogue & more city names
- Full pedia entries (In English when translation not available)
- 5-man formations by anhu for Melee units
- Actual Quotes v2.01 by Willowmound
- Additional Color Values by SimCutie
- Ancient Era Music & misc diplomacy music by Sevo
- Attitude Icons by Porges
- Better Ship Scale v1.0 by Elhoim
- Dead Civ Scoreboard Mod v0.2 by TheLopez
- Enhanced Culture Conquest v1.4.1 by TheLopez
- Enhanced Foreign Advisor v2.1 by SupremeOverlord & TheLopez
- Enhanced Military Advisor v1.2 by SupremeOverlord & TheLopez
- Enhanced Tech Conquest v0.4.2 by Bhruic & TheLopez
- Ethnically Diverse Units v1.47 by Rabbit, White
- FexFx's Endurance and Marathon speeds
- Firaxis wonder & Games bonus by Zeysoft
- Great Person Mod v2.01 by Patricius
- Modified Special Domestic Advisor v1.8e by 12monkeys
- Pirates Mod v0.2 by TheLopez
- Promotion and Trait Mod v0.5 by Zuul
- Real UN Resolutions Names by Rufus T. Firefly
- Sevopedia v1.93 by Sevo with Upgrade Chart by Vovan & Index by Fitchn (all updated and compiled by Progor)
- TechWindow Mod by Roamty
- Unit Allegiance Mod v0.4 by Snaitf & The Lopez
- Unit Statistics Mod v1.40 by Teg_Navanis
- New flags, Era graphics, misc unit skins & roads by various modders
- New techs, bonuses & Improvements (just a few to start, I'm still learning)

Gameplay Changes
- Minimum city range increased from 2 to 3
- Tech trading has been moved from Alphabet to Guilds
- Upgrade costs reduced
- Ironclad moves 3 (not 2)
- Transport now has cargo capacity of 5 (instead of 4)
- Animal/Barbarian maximum XP values increased
- Oceans will randomly spawn Pirate ships (some with crews)
- Maximum experience on upgrade changed from 10 to 16 allowing the unit to keep an extra promotion
- Aggressive trait gives the Combat promotion to melee, firearms, recon, archer & mounted units (as opposed to only melee and firearms)
- Chopping down a Jungle now produces hammers (Third of forest production)
- Scouts can build forts & explore Ancient Temples

Civs Included
Aborigines, Abyssinians, Austria, Babylon, Bretagne, Byzantium, Canada, Carthage, Celts, Cherokee, Dutch/Netherlands, Hyboria, Iroquois, Israel, Italy, Korea, Magyar, Maya, Poland, Polynesia, Portugal, Scotland, Scythia, Sumeria, Sweden, Thailand, Tibet, Turkey, Vikings, Zulu (BIG Thank you to ALL civ creators & a special thanks to the Civ Gold Team for allowing me to include a few Civs & LH's from their mod).

Plans for future releases
- More Civs
- More Techs & Resources
- Plot List Enhancement by 12monkeys (waiting for new version with bug fixes)
- Different version for Warlords expansion (leaving non-Warlords version as is)

Version 1.80 Known Issues
- A few of the new units do not display properly in the Pedia but are fine during gameplay. (Chinook, Tiger II, & Wespe)
- Desert Windmills & Archaeological Digs are animated in Civilopedia but not in game. Can't figure that one out yet.
- The Ethnically Diverse Units mod adds new Settlers, Scouts, Warriors & archers for many civs that will show up as Unique Units. These units are only unique in their appearance. No stats or abilities have been changed from the vanilla units. This is not an issue, just something of note.

Misc notes/Disclaimer
The leaderheads included in this modpack are not meant to be exact representations of their namesakes. I have done the best I could using the 3D models available. Many of the reskinned leaderheads also have different animations. Please note that these leaderheads may not display properly on old or budget video cards without shader capabilities as I did not edit the nonshader graphic files. Hopefully, this shouldn't be a problem for most people. As a point of reference, I have a 4 year old Radeon 9700 Pro which displays them properly.

Installation Instructions
Extract to your "Mods" folder within the game directory. For example, C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\MODS. It should create a folder called "Amra's ALH Modpack v180". In game, click on "Advanced" and then "Load a Mod" to play. You may have to hold the shift key down when restarting Civ4 in order to clear the cache. If you want this mod to load automatically every time you play Civ4 then edit the "civilization.ini" file in your "\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4" directory. Search for "Mod = 0" and change it to "Mod = Mods\Amra's ALH Modpack v180". Please note that Multiplayer requires all players to have the same version of this mod installed and loaded when playing.

A lot of the mods (by TheLopez) included in this modpack are configurable by an .ini file located in the modpack main directory. These mods have been merged using the default settings. Tweaking them should be self explanatory. However, if you need help please review the included readme file or check the modmaker's Civfanatics forum thread.

I AM CURRENTLY WORKING ON A VERSION FOR BTS. - Ever so slowly, but I am working on it.

I am no longer supporting this version as I no longer play Vanilla Civ4 or Warlords for that matter and am concentrating my efforts on the move to BtS.

DOWNLOAD v1.80a - This is a 131MB download that requires 7-Zip to extract. It includes the previously seperate patch A, the extra resource patch and the Mongol CTD fix. It is still only for Vanilla Civ4 v1.61 and will NOT work on the current version of Civ4 (version 1.74?).

Other Recommended Downloads
Blue Marble Mod - Nicer terrain graphics even on older computers using their low-res option (it's what I use)
Sevomod - More of everything. Includes new wonders, buildings, civs, units, techs, civics, etc.
Civ Gold - No interface or gameplay changes but a lot more civs in one tidy package. All with animated leaderheads.
Smartmap - Very nice random map generator
Earth Realism Map using my modpack - by niust (for v1.72 but may work for v1.80)

Please see Readme & Reference Guide and included Version History for all credits.

Please post comments & give me feedback, good or bad. If you find a bug, let me know so that I can try to fix it or remove the non-working component in any future versions. If you think something should be changed, let me know with a reason why or an alternative suggestion.

Thanks and Enjoy!

darkedone02 said:
these animated leader heads are not custom. no need to download this.

I never said they were "custom". If you read my post, it says "Reskinned leaderheads for new civs, Many with different animations!"

The animations are from other characters in order to make the LH somewhat different. I don't believe that Firaxis has released a SDK yet and, as mentioned in other posts here, no one can create new "custom" leaderheads yet. See my post HERE for more of an explanation.

This modpack was put together simply to offer extra civs & interface enhancements with all animated heads. Personally, I think Sevo's modpack is truly exceptional & would recommend that for anyone who doesn't want a mod with only animated leaderheads in it.

darkedone02 said:
these animated leader heads are not custom. no need to download this.
That's still a ton of work that's been put in, and there's other stuff besides just the leaderheads you know. :)

Edit: cross post with Amra.

This one is also good :D Awesome work!

I can not calculate all the differences between Civ GOLD, but if you add those other items in with this mod...it will be the bomb!

yexusbeliever said:
This one is also good :D Awesome work!

I can not calculate all the differences between Civ GOLD, but if you add those other items in with this mod...it will be the bomb!

Thanks. I just left Wyz_sub10 a message about that. I wasn't aware anyone else was trying to do the same thing.

Everyone should check out Civ Gold for more great civs with animated LHs. It looks like they have put together quite a nice package of new civs.

I wasn't aware that they were doing that so sorry to all for the confusion on the similarity of our mods. Some people have asked what the difference is between the mods. My mod includes a lot of the popular interface changes that have been posted on this forum including a 2nd UU for all civs. Civ Gold was created by a team of veteran modders and is a civ add-on (a very nice , well polished one) without the interface or gameplay changes. I did this mod by myself, for myself, and thought I would share since it took me about a month to do.

I will not be merging their civs into this mod as Sevo was involved with Civ Gold and I think he may be intending something similar. I'm not sure as I have not kept up on his thread.

Edit: Please see my post two down from this one for future plans. Thanks!

Amra, you are doing a great job here! I do feel kinda disappointed at what is going on. If Sevo Fusion 3.0 do come out, I hope this mod of yours is also included in there. If not, I hope you will do an integration of Civ Mod, Fusion 3.0, and yours (because you have all the units I wanted). If all these three combine, it will definitely be better than an official expansion. :D

For one person, your work is untarnished and awesome!

Edit: Basically please continue on with this mod. Make it more like your own personal mod that you use. Please integrate all the great mods out there. Even if others are not going to be interested, I will be. And I know you will be integrating more mods to this one.

yexusbeliever said:
For one person, your work is untarnished and awesome!

Edit: Basically please continue on with this mod. Make it more like your own personal mod that you use. Please integrate all the great mods out there. Even if others are not going to be interested, I will be. And I know you will be integrating more mods to this one.

Thanks. Earlier this morning I posted on the Civ Gold thread that I probably would not be adding more civs to this mod, but after a little more thought, I think I will add some more.

Plans for version 1.1 include adding in the Zulus by Mattastic (I like the LH he did) as well as Carthage & Vikings if I can come up with some satisfactory LHs on my own. Obviously, new civs to this mod will each have 2 UU's, pedia entries, plenty of city names, etc. Are there any specific civs that the majority of the people here want to see?

I will ask the team at Civ Gold if I can include a handful of their civs (with full credit to them) in my next version as well. I have given them permission to include mine in theirs already. I do not want to include ALL their civs as I am really trying not to re-use the same leaderhead model too many times and to merge their complete package into mine would just not be fair in lieu of all the work they have done.

They have contributed a lot to this forum and I really do NOT want them to be upset and stop contributing.

You do not have to complete merge theirs into yours. Choose what you like. Even if you do want to completely merge theirs to yours, don't feel like you are stealing their work. They are using other people's work in with theirs.

I know that you will be making this a wonderful addition because this one is your personal to play with. (Even I am adding mods to yours because the one I have is my own personal use. And I won't be sharing that one because I will just have a few simple mods added.)

Your splendid work is appreciated a lot. Without people like you, we all miss "something" when we're playing. More fun!

Thank you! [party]

CyberChrist said:
Shouldn't this thread be under the Graphics Modpacks sub forum?

It is not just a graphic modpack. It is a full modpack ala Sevomod or Greenmod. It incorporates many interface changes and new units AS WELL AS reskinned leaderheads. All of the original vanilla civs & rulers are still there. This does not replace them, it adds to the base game.

If a moderator wants it moved then I guess that's fine but as far as I can tell, it is in the proper forum.

Hahaha.. maybe it is the title of the mod that got him to misunderstood? Animated Leaderhead Modpack

Maybe you should rename it differently? (However for me, a mod is a mod. A name does not matter.)

Looks great Amra, especially all the leaderheads. :goodjob: I would try it but with all the unit modding I just don't have the time :) and sorry for not answering the post you made in my mod's thread, I completely missed it.

I also might update my mod in the future (there are definitely few more things I'd like to add), it all depends on whether or not I ever get tired of unit making enough to take a few days' break. If I ever do however, feel free to borrow stuff from there again.

Rabbit said:
Looks great Amra, especially all the leaderheads. :goodjob: I would try it but with all the unit modding I just don't have the time :) and sorry for not answering the post you made in my mod's thread, I completely missed it.

I also might update my mod in the future (there are definitely few more things I'd like to add), it all depends on whether or not I ever get tired of unit making enough to take a few days' break. If I ever do however, feel free to borrow stuff from there again.

Thanks Rabbit. I was a little concerned when I released this. You do such wonderful stuff for us all and I certainly did not want you to think I was trying to pass your work off as my own. I made sure to credit you first above everyone else.

Thanks again.

yexusbeliever said:
Amra, can I request you to add Bad People mod and Spymod too? here is the link: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=164671 and http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=159219

I really like the concept of these mods. However I can not succeed in adding them in.

I haven't looked too hard at those yet. I was considering adding the Leadermod by Jok but I hadn't had time to try it yet. I think for version 1.1 I'm just going to do some more leaderheads for more civs. I will probably add a few of the Civ Gold civs also. Maybe the next version after that I will try to add a few more game components also. I need to practice up on my python a little more first :crazyeye:

Top Bottom