1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Amusing Ironies

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by Psychorg, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Psychorg

Psychorg Chieftain

In a game such as FFH, with its incredibly detailed background, its countless options of gameplay and unpredictable nature, clashes between lore and actual games are unavoidable. Some are barely worth noting, but others have an ironic twist that make you stop and think. Or at least smirk as you go by... I have listed a few of my favourites below, please feel free to add any others you can think of.

Rosier the Fallen with the loyalty promotion - sure he could be loyal to his civ after the fall, but it still has an odd ring to it...

Corlindale, with his lore, given access to the fire spells.

A Grigori Dragon Slayer, member of the Cult of the Dragon.

2. Saien

Saien Chieftain

Given his lore, Corlindale should start with fire spells.

3. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

Sphener and Basium duking it out.

Cassiel building the Mercurian gate (he can do this, right?).

A Calabim (or most any evil Civ) under Republic.

There's more out there, but these come to mind most readily.

4. Morganknight

Morganknight Chieftain

I still don't understand why you feel incongruity with evil civs following a Republic. You are ascribing morality to something that is essentially amoral. sigh.

5. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Chieftain

It's incongruous because people usually don't think that vampiric despots really care all that much who thier people want to rule them.

6. Morganknight

Morganknight Chieftain

Vampires are often portrayed as masters of deception. What better deception than convincing the masses they are in control by placing your puppets as their representation? The real power never changes...

American Heritage New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition - Cite This Source
    republic

A form of government in which power is explicitly vested in the people, who in turn exercise their power through elected representatives. Today, the terms republic and democracy are virtually interchangeable, but historically the two differed. Democracy implied direct rule by the people, all of whom were equal, whereas republic implied a system of government in which the will of the people was mediated by representatives, who might be wiser and better educated than the average person. In the early American republic, for example, the requirement that voters own property and the establishment of institutions such as the Electoral College were intended to cushion the government from the direct expression of the popular will.

[Chapter:] World Politics

The American Heritage® New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition
    Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
    Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved

7. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

I agree with this one wholeheardedly. From Cassiel's perspective Basium is no different from Hyborem.

8. Yoshi2942

Yoshi2942 Chieftain

Cassiel can build the gate - I have seen him do it a few times. Infact, the game which inspired my signature was a game which I lost because a few turns after I - playing as Keelyn - summoned the big red oaf, Cassiel followed up by summoning Basium. Maybe he was thinking that the two would duke it out and leave everyone else alone? Seems odd that he'd be willing to give up his city so that the "duking" it out would take place in his backyard... But alas, Falamar turned on me when I declined his offer to take a ride on his boat.

9. sixs_monkey

sixs_monkey Chieftain

Of course, that's -exactly- what a certain VP may well be counting on... :mischief:

Wait, lemme reread what I'm replying to... OK, the VP was counting on the perception that many people have that -their- chosen leader couldn't ever Be a vampiric despot, a different fallacy altogether.
    Vampires might chose a style of government that -appears- to respond to the will of the masses in order to exploit one or more of the possible efficiencies it could have.

10. Rod

Rod Chieftain

Actually Republic seems to be the ideal form of Government for the Vampires.

We should never forget that Republic is the government of a certain glass of society, rather than an individual (Monarchy, dictatorship), over the other glasses. In most cases republic were/are dominated by the upper class - Ancient Greek City States, Roman Republic, early British Republic, Midage German Hanse City States, early American NewEngland Republic, Modern Russian Federation just to name a few.
    So republic is THE government for the Patrician Vampire Families of the Calabim.

11. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

I agree. Personally I see more incongruity with having the Kuriotates use Republic than the Calabim, bu there's always ways to imagine it so it doesn't conflict.

12. Nero's fire

Nero's fire Chieftain

I can see it now:"Sure, he may be a blood sucking, canabalistic murderer... but he did say he would lower taxes..."

I assume the case for vampires with republic would be that only vampires are considered to be citizens... this seems a bit more like an oligarchy since vampires would have to be a minority in the society and while they could definatly call themselves a republic (china does) they would hardly be a legitimate one. In other words, unless the majority votes in public officials I don't see the vampires truly responding to this.

But ironic or not, the great thing about FfH is it allows you to do that. Create your own unlikely but possible reason for a republic vampire state. Maybe they are good vampires, who only eat criminals or foriegners. Or perhaps they have powerful control over peoples minds. Maybe even something as simple as a society that actually believes eating people is an acceptable thing for people to do. Still seeing Chand post that made me crack up.

13. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Chieftain

Valin Phanuel?

14. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

Dick Cheney?

15. Sureshot

Sureshot Goddess

killing acheron with fireballs before damage types were introduced, and hurting acherons with fireballs collateral damage during patch B.

16. Koffski

Koffski Chieftain

I just had falamar summon basium (the same round I summond hyborem I guess with the help of an great engineer) and switch to the ashen veil. It is just weird having a diplo modifier of +10 to someone who is at war with me while the modifier towards his partner is -1 but friendly

17. Chip56

Chip56 Chieftain

Playing as Hyborem and being able to build the mercurian gate

18. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

I don't think you can do this.
    Hyborem can only be AV, and thus evil, and only neutrals and good civs can build the mercurian.

19. Gamestation

Gamestation Introducing Servo

Look out evil! It's Hyborem to the rescue!:lol:

Attached Files:

20. Yoshi2942

Yoshi2942 Chieftain

Definately quick game speed, eh?

Loki - you sure about that? I am pretty sure I remember summoning, and then controlling Basium when I played as the vampires - about 50 turns after I summoned Hyborem and converted the vampires to AV so that they would be on friendly terms with the big red dork.