An *ACTUAL* election for the Seven Wonders of the World...

I was in Spain a few days ago and saw the more spectacular palace than I have never seen (and I have seen Versailles), "El Escorial", it should be added to the possibilities list.

Julien came up with such an impressive list... I wonder why so many of these great wonders Like Taj Mahal or Statue of Liberty that have good historical impact are missing from Civ3 (I think I'll add them ;-)

Here is my small list after voting on that site:

The Great Wall of China
The Taj Mahal
The Roman Colosseum
Aachen Cathedral
Eiffel Tower
Pyramids (chichen itza)
The Empire State Building

Of course, I would add great man made wonders like the CN Tower, its really nice to walk on the glass floor on top of the CN Tower..i went there with my niece and nephew, my god the lil kids were so happy to look down! Its an amazing place. The WTC, even though it doesnt exist anymore, it will keep a very important place in the history. The Red Fort, The Golden Temple (In Amritsar India), definitely the space station MIR, the ruins of Stonehenge, the UFO Crop Circles :alien:
the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center and if I can, definitely the conception of the WWW and the Discovery of DNA.

These are man made :)

:cooool:

Wonders of exploration, engineering and technology:

The Apollo program
The internet
The chunnel
The Shinkansen ("bullet train" of Japan)
The Concorde
The Voyager space probes
The Hubble telescope

Spiritual wonders:

The Kaaba (or, the whole city of Mecca)
The Sistine Chapel
Shwedagon Pagoda
The Taj Mahal
St. Basil's Cathedral
Tikal
Angkor Wat

Pavelsu, El Escorial is not a palace but a monastry and burial places for the Habsburg family (of Spain). There are lots of great monastries in Europe. I have been to El Escorial as well and was also pretty impressed. It's huge, but lacks in refinement. It's a bit too massive and dark.

Shastram, why Aachen cathedral ? It is one of the oldest cathedral in Europe, but probably one of the smallest and least impressive as well. Believe me, as used to live half an hour from there. I'd rather choose St Peter of Rome, Sevilla or Milano's Cathedrals or any great French ones (Rheims, Chartres, Amiens, Paris, etc).;)

Allan, you probably know that the French TGV and the European Thalys (France, Belguim, Germany, Netherlands...) and Eurostar (France, England, Belgium) are faster (and much cheaper :D !) than the Japanese Shinkansen. Nonetheless, the Shinkansen was the first...:p

1 - Channel Tunnel
2 - Taj Mahal
3 - The Statue of Liberty
4 - The Great Wall of China
5 - The Golden Gate Bridge
6 - The Arc de Triomphe
7 - The Apollo Space Programme

Here's two that I'm quite surprised that haven't popped up yet:

CN Tower
Sydney Opera House

Pavelsu, El Escorial is not a palace but a monastry and burial places for the Habsburg family (of Spain). There are lots of great monastries in Europe. I have been to El Escorial as well and was also pretty impressed. It's huge, but lacks in refinement. It's a bit too massive and dark.
But it is this massive and powerfully style (and even macabre) what impressed me. An example: there needed seventeen of us to surround a column.:eek:

Never mind my last post, I should take the time to read things better :crazyeye:

Anyway, another possibility although not very well known is Tumili Park in Kyeong-ju South Korea. There are some amazing historical things here, including tombs of many great kings and the world's oldest observatory.

The entire Kyeong-ju area has some great temples, including one built into the side of a mountain.

Not many people from outside of Korea and Japan ever get there, I'd strongly recommend it to anyone who gets half a chance.

I voted:

Great Wall

Colluseum

Sagrada Familia

Ankgor Wat

Petra

Pyramid (Chichen Itza)

Versailles Palace

Definately cool picks! I'm esp. happy to see Ankgor Wat on there. I was afraid it might be left out.

1. Pyramids (I don't care what 'qualifications' people want to put on this list, but considering they're still standing, it has to be one of the greatest engineering feats of all time. That said, I don't think the Great Wall of China should be on the list, because it's only a marvel due to its sheer length...it didn't take an Archimedes or an alien to build it).

The rest are in no particular order:

2. The Big Dig (the I-93 Construction Project in Boston). Simply unbelievable. Yeah, it's a huge waste of taxpayers dollars at this point (way over budget), but the fact that they're able to do it boggles the mind.

3. The Space Program. I'm including everything from Apollo to Voyager to Mir to Hubble to the International Space Station in this one, because each builds off the last. The remnants of humanity will one day exist only in space-borne objects.

4. The Course of Empire, by Thomas Cole. Five Paintings that completely and decisively sum up the whole of our existence. Buried in relative obscurity in the New-York Historical Society (77th and Central Park West), although you can see them on the web. Of course, seeing them in person is breathtaking.

5. The complete works of Beethoven. It seems incomprehensible to me that one man could dream up so much beauty, yet he did. (Feel free to substitute a favorite composer of yours in this item, or the more literary-minded might substitute Shakespeare)

6. The Titanic. Supposedly the height of mankind's ingenuity and skill...instead, the victim of its pride. Tells us more about us than we really want to know.

7. The number 'i'. It doesn't exist; it's an imaginary number. Yet not only did we determine it's existence, it is an invaluable part of our mathematics. Profundity and absurdity.

[1] Stonehenge
[2] The Alphabet
[3] The Thousand and One Nights
[4] The Great Law of the Iroquois
[5] The VOC (Dutch East Indies Company)
[6] Kruger National Park
[7] The Internet

Originally posted by redtom
In real life (ie. outside in the sun)

PSS. Before anyone starts attacking the Crusaders for what they did to the Turks/Arabs, just remember what they did to the Christians within their empire

Hey.. whats wrong guys? why many of the greek and english guys always accuse Turks... what is the reason of your hate... There is NO lack of humanity for turks against christians in that period nor present... in contrary, tolerance of indulgance of ottoman governments was SO broad... it s just manipulation of west... they are just provocating you against us...

Wake Up!

You are probably right. Turkish people only arrived in the 15th century from Central Asia to present day Turkey. It's a great pity that so few people still confuse Arabs and Turks just because they are both Muslim and Midlle-Eastern. The same confusion happens between Iranians and Arabs, or even still with Afghans and Pakistanis, who are taken for Arabs by uneducated masses (o just a bunch of imebeciles) as we have seen recently.

Speaking of the Turks, I think they are and have been much more tolerant and European-friendly than any Arab nation.

By the way, did you know that Turkish language was in the same family of languages as Mongol, Korean and even very remotely Japanese !:eek: They are also very distant cousins of Suomi (Finnish), Estonian and Magyar (Hungarian). They form together the Ural-Altaic group of languages that are neither Indo-European (yes Urdu, Punjabi and Hindi in Pakistan and India are related to English and you can find a few words a bit similar !), nor Semitic (Arabic, Hebrew), nor either Sino-Tibetan (Chinese, Tibetan, Thai, Burmese, etc).

Here's my vote
1.Taj Mahal-A marvel of architecture and was nearly destroyed by the Brits!!:mad:

2.Hagia Sophia--Again architectural genius and beauty

3.Roman Colosseum--Roman perfection and architecure

4.Eiffel Tower--FAntastic speed of construction and a real monument of the INdustrial age

5.Statue of Liberty--Symbol of freedom obviously:D

6.Pyramids of Chichen Itza--Amazing construction genius, without the wheel!!:cool:

7.Angkor Wat--Just huge and magnificent

Top Bottom